Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Employment based I-485 Application/Spouse related question

Employment based I-485 Application/Spouse related question

Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:04 pm
Nirav J. Modi

Default Employment based I-485 Application/Spouse related question

Hi all,

Some background: My I-485 was filed via my Employer - I was married at the time, so
my spouse was added to the I-485 as a beneficiary (filed at NSC in July
2001). I recently received an approval notice for my I-485, but also received a
notice from NSC saying that my spouse's application had been transferred to the
Chicago INS for "speedier processing" ... I am trying to figure out how much
longer it will take for her I-485 to be approved (our medical exams,
fingerprinting etc. were all done at the same time and submitted together). I
assume the Chicago INS may schedule my wife for an interview - but I have no
idea how long this may take - since no one else I know who filed via employer
has been through a similar situation.

Any information is appreciated.

TIA Nirav njmodi at yahoo dot com

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 10:03 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Employment based I-485 Application/Spouse related question

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:04:44 -0700, Nirav J. Modi wrote:

> Hi all,
    > Some background: My I-485 was filed via my Employer - I was married at the time, so
    > my spouse was added to the I-485 as a beneficiary (filed at NSC in July
    > 2001). I recently received an approval notice for my I-485, but also received a
    > notice from NSC saying that my spouse's application had been transferred to
    > the Chicago INS for "speedier processing" ... I am trying to figure out how
    > much longer it will take for her I-485 to be approved (our medical exams,
    > fingerprinting etc. were all done at the same time and submitted together). I
    > assume the Chicago INS may schedule my wife for an interview - but I have no
    > idea how long this may take - since no one else I know who filed via employer
    > has been through a similar situation.

This is actually not all that unusual. INS has been doing this for years, and I don't
think that it necessarily means that she will be called for an interview.

What does surprise me is that NSC offloaded work to the Chicago offices, which I
thought was one of the most overloaded ones in the country.

In any case, other than the vagaries of dealing with Chicago INS, I don't think there
is anything to worry about.

Ingo

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:09 pm
Nirav J. Modi

Default Re: Employment based I-485 Application/Spouse related question

Ingo,

thank you for your response. From what I have read in past postings, it seems as
though there is no easy way to track case status in the Chicago office (other than an
in-person visit)... Would you recommend that my wife stop by there to follow-up soon?
or should we just wait. I am trying to plan a visit home (India) but don't want to
miss a possible interview date etc. - so even if anyone has any sense of the time
frame involved, that information would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Nirav

Ingo Pakleppa <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:04:44 -0700, Nirav J. Modi wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Some background: My I-485 was filed via my Employer - I was married at the time,
    > > so my spouse was added to the I-485 as a beneficiary (filed at NSC in July
    > > 2001). I recently received an approval notice for my I-485, but also received a
    > > notice from NSC saying that my spouse's application had been transferred to
    > > the Chicago INS for "speedier processing" ... I am trying to figure out how
    > > much longer it will take for her I-485 to be approved (our medical exams,
    > > fingerprinting etc. were all done at the same time and submitted together).
    > > I assume the Chicago INS may schedule my wife for an interview - but I have
    > > no idea how long this may take - since no one else I know who filed via
    > > employer has been through a similar situation.
    > This is actually not all that unusual. INS has been doing this for years, and I
    > don't think that it necessarily means that she will be called for an interview.
    > What does surprise me is that NSC offloaded work to the Chicago offices, which I
    > thought was one of the most overloaded ones in the country.
    > In any case, other than the vagaries of dealing with Chicago INS, I don't think
    > there is anything to worry about.
    > Ingo