Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Employer has agreed to give me an internship but doesn't seem to know much about visa

Employer has agreed to give me an internship but doesn't seem to know much about visa

Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

madfrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer has agreed to give me an internship but doesn't seem to know much about visa

So I pulled enough connections and eventually got a company in Hollywood to let me intern. I contacted the US embassy and they said I need a J1 visa and to get that the employer needs to provide a DS2019 petition - he didn't know what that was but said he can't imagine it would be a problem.

Ideally I'd like this to turn into a permanent position (whether with them or they help me find another employer) I spoke to the embassy and they said they would need to sponsor me for a H1B visa for that at a cost of $350. On Pulaski's Ways it says it would cost the employer $5000? Can the H1B lead to a Green Card? How much of an issue is getting onto the H1B visa going to be as a factor for an employer whether or not they will hire me? It won't be a highly skilled job put it that way, but it's what I've always wanted, has great prospects for promotion and have a few people that say they'll help me land a permanent job over there - albeit they seem clueless about the issues a work visa may present or if an employer will be reluctant to hire in light of this additional factor.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer has agreed to give me an internship but doesn't seem to know much about

Although, lower wages do not necessarily mean lower costs for employers. The costs for a company to apply for an H-1B visa can be significant, and it can vary between $1,440 and $5,000 as the H1B fee was increased by $2000 for petitioners who employ 50 or more employees in the United States with more than 50 percent of its employees in the United States in H-1B or L (including L-1A, L-1B and L-2) nonimmigrant status from August 14, 2010 as President Obama signed into law Public Law 111-230, depending on the attorney's fees, the number of employees in the company, and if a faster premium service is paid, without including the cost of a possible trip to the border of the country of origin, nor the renewal costs.

Yo do need a degree or 12 years experience to get a H1B visa
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Employer has agreed to give me an internship but doesn't seem to know much about

Originally Posted by Ray
Yo do need a degree or 12 years experience to get a H1B visa
Jeez - is there no other way around that? I have neither. Is there any other type of visa I could get to be employed in the US if H1B is not an option?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madfrank
So I pulled enough connections and eventually got a company in Hollywood to let me intern. I contacted the US embassy and they said I need a J1 visa and to get that the employer needs to provide a DS2019 petition - he didn't know what that was but said he can't imagine it would be a problem.

Ideally I'd like this to turn into a permanent position (whether with them or they help me find another employer) I spoke to the embassy and they said they would need to sponsor me for a H1B visa for that at a cost of $350. On Pulaski's Ways it says it would cost the employer $5000? Can the H1B lead to a Green Card? How much of an issue is getting onto the H1B visa going to be as a factor for an employer whether or not they will hire me? It won't be a highly skilled job put it that way, but it's what I've always wanted, has great prospects for promotion and have a few people that say they'll help me land a permanent job over there - albeit they seem clueless about the issues a work visa may present or if an employer will be reluctant to hire in light of this additional factor.
Yes, the H1-B can lead to a GC as it's a dual intent visa but as Ray said, you have to have a degree or prove you have 12 years equivalent experience. My OH hasn't got a degree so we had to prove to them by letters etc from his last employer, one before that etc, that he had progressed and gained 12 years experience in his field. What kind of field are you in, that will go a long way to determining if an H1-B is going to be an option, look on the USCIS website for all the categories and see if you fit in to one. Good luck!!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez - is there no other way around that? I have neither. Is there any other type of visa I could get to be employed in the US if H1B is not an option?
I thought you said the USCIS said you would require a J!?? I don't know what that is, but again, look it up on their website and it'll explain the criteria for that too - don't despair just yet!!!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
I've read that; does that mean there's no other alternatives?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:06 pm
Ray

I've read that; does that mean there's no other alternatives?
that is the alternatives
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you have in mind??
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well, they said it would probably be an entry level position they could offer me - does that mean an entry level position would not qualify for a H1-B?

If a Bachelor's Degree is an absolute must to qualify for H1B then there are a few places where I could simply buy a degree from - would this suffice so long as it's an accredited college/university or do they look out for 'quickie' bought degrees?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

If a Bachelor's Degree is an absolute must to qualify for H1B then there are a few places where I could simply buy a degree from - would this suffice so long as it's an accredited college/university or do they look out for 'quickie' bought degrees?
What a great idea!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If a Bachelor's Degree is an absolute must to qualify for H1B then there are a few places where I could simply buy a degree from...
From your previous posts, I didn't think you were all that stupid... well, until now! What an idiotic idea!

Ian
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

then there are a few places where I could simply buy a degree from - would this suffice so long as it's an accredited college/university or do they look out for 'quickie' bought degrees?
Shit! Why didn't I think of that? It's simply brilliant - I'm certain that USCIS are so thick that they wouldn't look out for a 'quickie' bought degree.
Go for it! Your new life is but a 'quickie' away!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
From your previous posts, I didn't think you were all that stupid... well, until now! What an idiotic idea!

Ian
Please explain, if it's an accredited college it's an accredited college. Plus if it's an overseas BA then a BA is a BA. What's the issue? I can't let not having a BA hold me back.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Shit! Why didn't I think of that? It's simply brilliant - I'm certain that USCIS are so thick that they wouldn't look out for a 'quickie' bought degree.
Go for it! Your new life is but a 'quickie' away!
Right, but the degree is simply a formality requirement, no? The main thing is having an employer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.