Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to the USA - realistic?

Emigrating to the USA - realistic?

Old Jun 12th 2014, 11:00 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emigrating to the USA - realistic?

Well the minimum family sponsored is 226k and employment sponsored is 140k, asylum 80k, GC lottery 55k so add all the other innumerable categories together its how the annual 1 mill figure is reached
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well as a person who came with parents on E2. I would say never do it, Very expensive and just no point unless you really can make a better life for yourself.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AeroBlue
Good evening all. I'm hoping to get some advice/clarification on whether emigrating to the USA is a realistic possibility, or whether it's simply a dream.

I'm 23, graduate this month with a 2:1 degree in IT, and am hoping (fingers crossed) to be made an offer from either one of two large UK banks where I've made the final stage of their graduate scheme recruitment process, otherwise I'll be back to the drawing board.

I've done some research myself, and the options I seem to have found are:
  • Get to a position within a company where I'm a big enough asset that they'll transfer me internally at great cost
  • Get X amount years of experience and apply for jobs via the H-1B, which is often over-subscribed, expensive, and somewhat of a lottery
  • Work for X amount of years, save £40k+, study a MSc in the USA, followed by an OPT year and network like crazy and hope I find a H-1B sponsor
  • Marry a US citizen
  • Move to Canada instead

Am I missing anything? Are there any other routes? Is IT generally a good sector to be in for US immigration purposes, or are they outsourcing overseas?

Just some other notes: I'm single, born in the UK so cannot use the green card lottery, have no family members who are US citizens, do not have £500k-£1m to 'buy' a green card, do not have many ties to the UK (no mortgage, wife, kids, Bentley), and have previously worked in the US during the summer on a J1 visa.
Your research is reasonably accurate.
Are you female, blonde, under 40, like cats?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
How many of those are through family?

To get that number, considering how limited H1 is....that's a lot of company transfers...
http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil..._fr_2012_2.pdf

Nearly half are immediately available visas, i.e. marriage, parents, children. Another 19.6% are the family-based preferences, so 66% total are family-based. 14% are employment-based. I.e. 143,998 in 2012.

Whereas in 2012, Canada granted permanent residence to 160,819 people for employment-based reasons, comprising 65.4% of people granted permanent residence.

Facts and figures 2012 – Immigration overview: Permanent and temporary residents – Permanent residents

So in other words, a country with one-ninth the population of the US granted permanent residence to more people for economic reasons.

Personally I don't think there's a better statistic for showing how screwed up the US immigration system is.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 1:49 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

There needs to be the distinction between numbers gaining LPR and immigration into the US per year naturally as a lot getting LPR have likely been in the US mainly years but the numbers are pretty similar so the difference must be made up by L/E/H visa people etc
Old Jun 14th 2014, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
There needs to be the distinction between numbers gaining LPR and immigration into the US per year naturally as a lot getting LPR have likely been in the US mainly years but the numbers are pretty similar so the difference must be made up by L/E/H visa people etc
What do you mean by "the numbers are pretty similar"?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:25 am
Banned

The numbers gaining LPR per year versus the numbers of new people entering the country each year via immigrant and nonimmigrant visas
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

My working definition of "immigrant" is someone who has been granted LPR status. (Can that step be skipped? Maybe something to do with military service? It isn't very often, that's for sure.) Just crossing the border doesn't make you an immigrant unless you're entering on an immigrant visa. The "visa people" you mention may (or may not) be trying to immigrate, but they haven't done it yet. On the other hand, the people who've been in the US for years as nonimmigrants and eventually adjust status count as immigrants only in the year that they actually become immigrants - which is to say, when they're granted LPR status.

This is another reason why the term "undocumented immigrant" is not terribly helpful, as it is frequently used to describe people who are neither undocumented nor immigrants.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Immigrants would commonly be described as those moving somewhere with no plans to return.

That would include most sans documentation.

Their status in a host community is another issue.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Immigrants would commonly be described as those moving somewhere with no plans to return.
Sure, but not in US government figures. Earlier in my life I spent the best part of a decade in the US with no plans to depart unless I was required to, but I wasn't an immigrant and I wasn't counted as one.

That would include most sans documentation.
"Most" is arguable. But, yeah, I was trying to weasel around that with the "frequently" in my post, which should maybe be further enweaseled by changing "describe" to "include".

The larger point is that there is a substantial difference between "undocumented" and "ineligible to obtain the documentation I would prefer". I get that "illegal" also has its problems as an adjective.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:28 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers gaining LPR per year versus the numbers of new people entering the country each year via immigrant and nonimmigrant visas
If you look at that link, it does show the number arriving on visas and the number of people doing AOS.

It's very hard to stay in a non-immigrant status for really long periods, the only categories I can think of where it's possible are E-1/2 and TN-1/2 (possibly H-1B if you're from India). So figures for LPR grants are the metric to use, although some of them are effectively "time adjusted" because they entered in a non-immigrant status then did AOS later.

Non-immigrant status in Canada is roughly the same sort of thing so it's a fair comparison.

"Non-immigrant" means exactly that, so they either get LPR status at some point or have to leave, even people on E-1/2 and TN-1/2 have to, even though they may have been in the US for decades.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LearningUK
Hello! In general, are most visas temporary in terms of duration? E.g. do you have to return within 3 to 6 years? Are extensions in 1 year increments or can the stay be longer if your job title changes?

Is permanent citizenship obtained through marrying a US citizen or via the naturalization process?
Each visa is different.

If it's a work based visa and the employer wants to go through the process of getting you a greencard, once you get that you can stay and move around job wise.

After having the greencard for 5 years, you can apply for US citizenship. That's a bit simplified, but that's the gist of it.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LearningUK
In general, are most visas temporary in terms of duration?
All visas are temporary - they all have a specific expiry date.

E.g. do you have to return within 3 to 6 years? Are extensions in 1 year increments or can the stay be longer if your job title changes?
It seems you're confusing the term "visa" with "status". They aren't interchangeable. A visa is a travel document... nothing more. Once you arrive in the US, you are in "status". It is possible to remain in status even if the underlying visa expires.

Is permanent citizenship...
Do you, perhaps, mean "permanent resident" (= green card)?

... obtained through marrying a US citizen or via the naturalization process?
Marriage to a USC confers neither PR status nor citizenship. You must first be a PR (usually for 5 years, but only 3 if married to a USC) before you can become a US citizen. If you're talking about PR status itself, then there are a number of ways forward. Google is your friend.

Ian