Emergency Travel

Old Jul 24th 2002, 4:20 am
Rex Lustrous

Default Re: Emergency Travel

>"Sylvia Ottemoeller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Where did you get this fossil of an attorney? Another good lesson: be sure to hire
    > a good immigration attorney.

"Lisa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Mdn%[email protected]...
    > We found him in the phone book. Ha! What a joke! How in the heck can someone know
    > who's good at their job, until after they take your
money?
    >

I agree that hiring a "Good" attorney is really the most important thing, and I
understand Lisa's point too. You can never predict what you end up with. It depends
on the Paralegal who is working on your case, more than the reputation of the
attorney or the law firm. I am working with an Attorney, and over the entire process,
I have had mixed experiences with them. They first took a year to file the SESA
labour application, then a new paralegal took over, and she was quick and helpful. A
third paralegal was assigned for I-140, who completely muddled up my forms and my
understanding of how things work. Finally now I have another excellent paralegal is
very good in clarifying and following up with INS etc. Also she documents everything
systematically.

It's always a Russian Roulette with the lawyers.

- Rex

Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:20 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

Rete wrote:

> You don't mention what INS office you are dealing with. Some don't have a waiting
    > line that stretches around a block in the wee hours of the morning.
    >
    > There is only one INS office that I know of that won't accept I-131's at the time
    > of filing for AOS and that is LA. All others allow it at the same time. LA makes
    > you wait for your receipt from filing AOS before you can apply for I-131.

I have not heard sbout this. INS LA allows I-485 filing by mail only, and the I-131
may be included in the same envelope with the I-485. I know of 3 or 4 couples that
filed Form I-485 at INS-LA in the last 9 months, and INS simply mailed them the
advance parole document. It arrived fairly quickly, actually, compared to the past.

At least this was the case last year. If you use
    > the LABA services, however, this is waived and they file everything for you at
    > one time.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:20 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:

> Rete wrote:

[snip]

>> There is only one INS office that I know of that won't accept I-131's at the time
    >> of filing for AOS and that is LA. All others allow it at the same time. LA makes
    >> you wait for your receipt from filing AOS before you can apply for I-131.

> I have not heard sbout this. INS LA allows I-485 filing by mail only,

That it, unless you hire an attorney. An attorney can get everything filed
the same day.

> and the I-131 may be included in the same envelope with the I-485. I know of 3 or 4
    > couples that filed Form I-485 at INS-LA in the last 9 months, and INS simply mailed
    > them the advance parole document. It arrived fairly quickly, actually, compared to
    > the past.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 3:20 pm
Love

Hi Rete! Question: What does LABA stand for. Thanks. ).
************************************************** *****************************
Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You don't mention what INS office you are dealing with. Some don't have a waiting
    > line that stretches around a block in the wee hours of the morning.
    >
    > There is only one INS office that I know of that won't accept I-131's at the time
    > of filing for AOS and that is LA. All others allow it at the same time. LA makes
    > you wait for your receipt from filing AOS before you can apply for I-131. At least
    > this was the case last year. If you use the LABA services, however, this is waived
    > and they file everything for you at one time.
    >
    > Disability or not, it is advantageous for your husband to do this. You can't do it
    > for him. It has to be the alien spouse that applies in person.
    >
    > Note when you complete the I-131 ask for multi-entries not a single entry. Same fee
    > but the A/P is then good for up to a year.
    >
    > Rete

Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

LABA is Los Angeles Bar Association

They have volunteers at the LA INS building that will assist you in completing and filing the adjustment of status forms for a fee.
Old Jul 29th 2002, 7:20 am
bba1vol

how long did it take for your husband to get his green card.....i am a us citizen and
married a man from canada and we filed the 130 and then filed the 129 so he can come
to the us to live and work.......he will get a temporary card until the 130 is
approved... but the lady we talked to at the congressman office told us he could not
leave the us for a period of time after he got here.....wish i could help you and
hope you can help me...good luck please email me back if you have information useful
to us........contact your congressman office they should be about to help you

brenda ballard