Emergency leave query

Old Jun 19th 2002, 11:20 pm
Matt Potter

Default Emergency leave query

Hi folks.

Bit of background, first: I came into the US on a K1 visa, and am now married, and
have my EAD. But I don't yet have the AoS, so I'm likely to be barred from
re-entering the country if I leave.

The problem is this: I would like to attend the funeral of a family member in England
next week. Is there any way I can attain permission to leave the US, using a process
that won't take weeks? There is talk on the INS' website of filling in an I-131 form,
but that must be mailed, with photographs, etc, etc. Obviously by the time an I-131
is processed, the funeral will have been and gone. I need something quicker!

I realise I've probably got absolutely no chance with this (getting the INS to move
quickly? Ha!), but any help you good people might offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Matt Potter Englishman In New York

Old Jun 19th 2002, 11:20 pm
Jssnugbug1

Default Re: Emergency leave query

Not sure this is much help but my husband wasn't allowed to even return to the UK for
the funeral of his mother. Wishing you much luck

Beth

Old Jun 20th 2002, 12:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NYC might issue you an emergency A/P but they will require tickets and proof of the reason why you need to leave so quickly. If they deny the A/P, you are out the ticket costs. Stand in line by 7 in the morning, go to the 3rd information desk and ask them before you buy the tickets. Bring a completed I-131, the ADIT photographs and a check for $110.

Rete
Old Jun 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Eoin

This is what advance parole is for ....

JsSnugBug1 wrote:

> Not sure this is much help but my husband wasn't allowed to even return to the UK
    > for the funeral of his mother. Wishing you much luck
    >
    > Beth

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Mrtravel

Can you get AP, even if you enter on a K-1 and didn't get married?

JsSnugBugl, are you saying he couldn't get AP after you were married, or before?

Eoin wrote:
    >
    > This is what advance parole is for ....
    >
    > JsSnugBug1 wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure this is much help but my husband wasn't allowed to even return to the UK
    > > for the funeral of his mother. Wishing you much luck
    > >
    > > Beth

Old Jun 20th 2002, 10:25 am
Alvena Ferreira

Matt Potter wrote:
    > Bit of background, first: I came into the US on a K1 visa, and am now married, and
    > have my EAD. But I don't yet have the AoS, so I'm likely to be barred from
    > re-entering the country if I leave. The problem is this: I would like to attend the
    > funeral of a family member in England next week. Is there any way I can attain
    > permission to leave the US, using a process that won't take weeks? There is talk on
    > the INS' website of filling in an I-131 form, but that must be mailed, with
    > photographs, etc, etc. Obviously by the time an I-131 is processed, the funeral
    > will have been and gone. I need something quicker! I realise I've probably got
    > absolutely no chance with this (getting the INS to move quickly? Ha!), but any help
    > you good people might offer would be greatly appreciated.
    >
Your best chance (but no guarantees) is to go to the INS office IN PERSON, with some
documentation of the death/funeral, and beg for emergency AP. Have a form I-131 all
filled out with pix and money, and see if you can get it.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 21st 2002, 7:20 pm
Albino Shaq

ask to speak to a SUPERVISOR (don't wait to speak to a window person; talk to the
guard at the entrance) and bring proof of your trip. They will be reasonable.

--

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and they are
safe." Proverbs 18:10

http://www.hiline.net/~jimost/james.html

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > NYC might issue you an emergency A/P but they will require tickets and proof of the
    > reason why you need to leave so quickly. If they deny the
    > A/P, you are out the ticket costs. Stand in line by 7 in the morning, go to the 3rd
    > information desk and ask them before you buy the tickets. Bring a completed
    > I-131, the ADIT photographs and a check for $110.
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 21st 2002, 8:32 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

In regards to Rete and Alvena's post, if you live in Maryland and use the Baltimore office, the usual procedure to get AP *in any case* is to show up in person with the form, adit photos and check and they'll give it to same day.

My husband's dad passed away, but just 2 days prior, knowing it was coming, he went down to the office in person and got the AP in a matter of hours.

I suggest you get one of your relatives to fax you a copy of the death certificate and you go down to your local office with form, check and pix in hand and ask for the AP.
Old Jun 21st 2002, 8:37 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

copied and pasted from the Baltimore INS office web page:
"Advance Parole:
For certain non-citizens already in the United States wishing and /or needing to travel abroad prior to the final adjudication of a particular immigration petition, advanced permission is needed to ensure that they will be permitted to return to the United States. This permission may be granted at the discretion of the District Director. This permission should be sought by, but not limited to, asylees, parolees, people with Temporary Protected Status (TPS), and certain intending immigrants with an Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) application filed and pending with INS and some others already in the U.S.

Filing Instructions: To apply for Advance Parole, please submit INS Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, IN PERSON to the Baltimore District Office, Fallon Federal Building, 31 Hopkins Plaza in Baltimore. Applications which have been mailed will be returned to the applicant to submit in person. Cases are received and adjudicated in a "one-stop" process. If advance parole permission is granted, the document will be issued on the same day that the application is filed"

If Baltimore can do that, I don't see why New York can't...