Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Emergency Advance parole.....Please Help me!!!!!

Emergency Advance parole.....Please Help me!!!!!

Old Jul 7th 2001, 2:19 am
M1ndhawk

I need to get emergency advance parole as my dad has been given a week to live and I
need to return to the UK ASAP INS is closed until monday (Houston), how long does it
take to get the emergency parole??? PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!

Thank you to amyone who can give me any help

Please reply to my email [email protected]

Thanks

Steve

Old Jul 7th 2001, 6:21 am
Paul

Difficult one this because the law is the law....

What I would do and this IS what I would do...

Book a flight, family is important. File the papers on Monday, with a covering letter
saying why you have and are doing what your doing. Keep copies of all paperwork. Make
sure you get a receipt at the INS office where you file as proof.

When you leave the US make sure you take copies of all paperwork. I would not take
your original of the receipt from the INS office. ALWAYS keep your originals wherever
possible, these are your only evidence if ever disputed you filed...trust me.

When you return is when the ball will roll. Now I would take the bet that I would get
the officious INS officer who wants to hang me out to dry. Most I would venture to
say, would understand.

I believe it is always best to temper the fear that we all have of the INS and things
going down the tube causing untold grief with the reality of work and humans. The INS
is overworked. You have due cause and unless there is no reason why you would not
have been granted the AP why they should not let it go.

OK so the choice is yours and yours alone...you could wait and file, explain and hope
they understand and move heaven and hell to process your AP in a few days or hours.

Two other courses of action you have is:

1) Ask for the Director of the office you file at...and argue if they say 'Not
Available' or 'Busy'...you should at least be able to get a supervisor. They may
process it urgently.

2) Go and see your state representative. I did this once for my EAD. Turned 3 months
of fooling around into 2 hours, amazing I know, but shows it can be done.

Not a great one to call...depends on how you feel and what your heart says.. Me
personally, I'd go...nothing worse than words unsaid. Incidentally ny father died
after 9 months of me being in the US so I know where your at. However, and here's
some advice for everyone, as soon as you arrive in the US apply for AP you never know
when you might need it. Oh you cant do it until your married. So get married ASAP and
apply for AP straight after.

my 2 cents

>
live
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 7th 2001, 7:16 am
lisac77

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
where
    >
    >
I agree, family is important.

>
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
I
    >
I
    >
    >

No, they won't understand, and lying could get him/her in the most trouble ever (just
a reminder for everyone, I know that Paul didn't encourage lying). If Mindhawk leaves
the US without advance parole, that is considered ABANDONMENT of the petition. That
part isn't up to the "understanding" of the INS official. Mindhawk will have to start
all over again.

Mindhawk, I would speak to your spouse.... he/she may feel that this is more
important and will be willing to wait out the I-130 process. I wouldn't book a
last-minute non-refundable flight, either, in case you can't get advance parole. If I
were in your shoes, I would speak to my spouse, all the while trying to get advance
parole ASAP.

I wish you all the best, Lisa

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
where
    >
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
I
    >
I
    >
    >
    >
    >
work
    >
no
    >
it
    >
    >
    >
explain
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
supervisor.
    >
    >
    >
Turned
    >
be
    >
    >
    >
says..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I need to get emergency advance parole as my dad has been given a week[/usenetquote2]
to
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and I need to return to the UK ASAP INS is closed until monday (Houston), how[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > long does it take to get the emergency parole??? PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you to amyone who can give me any help[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please reply to my email [email protected][/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Steve[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jul 7th 2001, 12:58 pm
Alvena Ferreira

M1ndhawk wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Can you get the doctor in UK to fax you a statement to that effect? That would be
helpful. Take that faxed statement and go to the Houston INS and explain the
situation and ask for emergency AP. Take a completed I-131 form and $95 with you and
see if they will issue it on the spot.

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jul 7th 2001, 8:28 pm
Paul

Thank you..

However time is not on his side...and on his return he wont be lying but showing
documents to prove he filed for AP and the reasons for not being able to await
approval, which is not conditional. AP is always (99.9%) of the time approved. So
unless he has done soemthing he shouldnt up to this point, not much to worry about.

Despite what everyone thinks the INS is not an undefeatable monster, that has your
whole life and soul in its hands, it seems like it at times but the reality is not
so.. It is a monster that has no control over itself. The left hand doesn't know what
the right hand is doing.

I would take the risk. Yes leaving could be construed as abandonment. However the
circumstances and the fact that he files the papers and pays the fees shows intent.
ANy INS office in the country would have a hard time, given these particular
circumstances, proving abandoment...all they could prove is total ineptitude for
understanding. Any state rep would have this sorted out in weeks. Or a lawyer if you
have the money..

The guy wants to do the right thing by his family and his new family here in the US.

Don't be afraid of the INS if you have nothing to hide your home free and if you play
by the rules of the game then thats fine, but on really difficult situations like
this then rules turn into choices of right and wrong not for the INS but the
individual.

I worked illegally for 3 months while the INS screwed around with my EAD. I was told
I would be breaking the law if I continued working. Yep...but I had to support myself
too. I'm still here I didnt get deported....why? Because I could not be held
responsibel for the inefficiency of the INS. The director of the office saw this and
even apologised...but thats another story.

Like I said this is what I would do...not legal advice, however sometimes legal
advice is not what is needed.

Paul

[usenetquote2]> > Difficult one this because the law is the law....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What I would do and this IS what I would do...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Book a flight, family is important. File the papers on Monday, with a covering[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > letter saying why you have and are doing what your doing. Keep copies of all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > paperwork. Make sure you get a receipt at the INS office[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > you file as proof.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > When you leave the US make sure you take copies of all paperwork. I[/usenetquote2]
would
[usenetquote2]> > not take your original of the receipt from the INS office. ALWAYS keep[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > originals wherever possible, these are your only evidence if ever[/usenetquote2]
disputed
[usenetquote2]> > you filed...trust me.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > When you return is when the ball will roll. Now I would take the bet[/usenetquote2]
that
    >
[usenetquote2]> > would get the officious INS officer who wants to hang me out to dry.[/usenetquote2]
Most
    >
[usenetquote2]> > would venture to say, would understand.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
more
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Difficult one this because the law is the law....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What I would do and this IS what I would do...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Book a flight, family is important. File the papers on Monday, with a covering[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > letter saying why you have and are doing what your doing. Keep copies of all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > paperwork. Make sure you get a receipt at the INS office[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > you file as proof.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > When you leave the US make sure you take copies of all paperwork. I[/usenetquote2]
would
[usenetquote2]> > not take your original of the receipt from the INS office. ALWAYS keep[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > originals wherever possible, these are your only evidence if ever[/usenetquote2]
disputed
[usenetquote2]> > you filed...trust me.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > When you return is when the ball will roll. Now I would take the bet[/usenetquote2]
that
    >
[usenetquote2]> > would get the officious INS officer who wants to hang me out to dry.[/usenetquote2]
Most
    >
[usenetquote2]> > would venture to say, would understand.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I believe it is always best to temper the fear that we all have of the[/usenetquote2]
INS
[usenetquote2]> > and things going down the tube causing untold grief with the reality of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and humans. The INS is overworked. You have due cause and unless there[/usenetquote2]
is
    >
[usenetquote2]> > reason why you would not have been granted the AP why they should not[/usenetquote2]
let
    >
[usenetquote2]> > go.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > OK so the choice is yours and yours alone...you could wait and file,[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and hope they understand and move heaven and hell to process your AP in[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > few days or hours.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Two other courses of action you have is:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) Ask for the Director of the office you file at...and argue if they[/usenetquote2]
say
[usenetquote2]> > 'Not Available' or 'Busy'...you should at least be able to get a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > They may process it urgently.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) Go and see your state representative. I did this once for my EAD.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 3 months of fooling around into 2 hours, amazing I know, but shows it[/usenetquote2]
can
    >
[usenetquote2]> > done.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Not a great one to call...depends on how you feel and what your heart[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Me personally, I'd go...nothing worse than words unsaid. Incidentally ny father[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > died after 9 months of me being in the US so I know where your[/usenetquote2]
at.
[usenetquote2]> > However, and here's some advice for everyone, as soon as you arrive in[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > US apply for AP you never know when you might need it. Oh you cant do it until[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > your married. So get married ASAP and apply for AP straight after.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my 2 cents[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I need to get emergency advance parole as my dad has been given a week[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > live[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and I need to return to the UK ASAP INS is closed until monday (Houston), how[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > long does it take to get the emergency parole??? PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thank you to amyone who can give me any help[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Please reply to my email [email protected][/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Steve[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 7th 2001, 8:38 pm
Paul

Problem is then if they say no....

Ignorance is no excuse for the law...but it can sure help.

I had this situation with an EAD which I guess is a lot higher up the scale than AP.
Its all very well being told the rule number and clause, but there is not one when
you have just been told your father will be dead in a week. Sometimes, just sometimes
fairness, reason and humanity is above the law. It is MHO that this one.

I guess to ask for an Emergency AP is not out of the question and I'm sure any humane
INS officer of seniority could approve it...

Choices....sheesh!

>
[usenetquote2]> > I need to get emergency advance parole as my dad has been given a week[/usenetquote2]
to live
[usenetquote2]> > and I need to return to the UK ASAP INS is closed until monday (Houston), how[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > long does it take to get the emergency parole???[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >