Eligible for green card?

Old Apr 24th 2020, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Lalonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eligible for green card?

My cousin has asked me to move from the U.K. to USA to live with her. She is a US citizen. I am a self employed dog groomer so I could work over there with my skills. I also have a degree with years of experience in the arts. I have enough money to buy a property outright in the US I had a look at green card application but I can’t figure out if I’m eligible to apply. Can anyone offer advice? Thank you. 🤔
Old Apr 24th 2020, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligible for green card?

I suggest you read through here...

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

You cannot apply for a green card and your cousin is not a close enough relative to sponsor you as a family member. This basically leaves two options - work-based, where an employer applies on your behalf for a L1 or H1-B visa and later for a green card, or via marriage to a US citizen.

Quite frankly, the answer is most probably no, but see if you qualify using the advice in the link. Then feel free to ask any 1questions not covered.

Oh, and BTW, with the Orange One's recent order, I doubt anything is happening any time soon anyway!

Old Apr 24th 2020, 7:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I suggest you read through here...

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

This basically leaves two options - work-based, where an employer applies on your behalf for a L1 or H1-B visa and later for a green card, or via marriage to a US citizen.

Oh, and BTW, with the Orange One's recent order, I doubt anything is happening any time soon anyway!

Or the third option to get to the US without the green card at the end of the tunnel: purchasing a business to apply for an E-2 visa . But your caveat on the current situation still stands.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 8:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Or the third option to get to the US without the green card at the end of the tunnel: purchasing a business to apply for an E-2 visa . But your caveat on the current situation still stands.
Aside from the temporary situation, if someone has the funds there is also the option to get a Green Card via an investment (you are unlikely to ever get back), but if you have $1.8m to spare it’s an option: https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5
Old Apr 24th 2020, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

You first need a visa before you can be eligible for a green card. And not all visas lead to green cards. So your question is really 'am I eligible for a visa?' and if you use the link posted you will discover whether you are or not. Then, depending on the visa type you are eligible for (if any), you may or may not be able to get a green card.
How did your cousin come to be here? I can imagine her path was somewhat different to 'I know someone in the US and I have enough money for a house so I'll go'.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does your cousin run a dog grooming business? If not she would be irrelevant to the process.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Aside from the temporary situation, if someone has the funds there is also the option to get a Green Card via an investment (you are unlikely to ever get back), but if you have $1.8m to spare it’s an option: https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5
It's actually only $900k, plus legal fees, if you're willing to invest in a managed project located in a designated, economically deprived area, so $1m should cover it. It's only $1.8m if you want to the freedom to choose wherever in the US you want to to run your own business. Either way your investment needs to generate enough permanent jobs to be eligible to use it to support the EB-5 green card application.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 25th 2020 at 2:23 am.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's actually only $900k, plus legal fees, if you're willing to invest in a managed project located in a designated, economically deprived area, so $1m should cover it. It's only $1.8m if you want to the freedom to choose wherever in the US you want to to run your own business. Either way your investment needs to generate enough permanent jobs to be eligible to use it to support the EB-5 green card application.
May be a bit rich for a dog groomer.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read a few times that the EB5 amount will most likely be lowered to help with economic fallout from covid