?Eligibility-Naturalization

Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all
Default ?Eligibility-Naturalization

Hi all.
my short story
married to a US citizen for 6 years
Got GC in 2006.
Was working full time in UK since 2006- Got a re entry permit in 2007.
Entered USA in May 2009. Started full time job in USA.

My presumptive plan- apply for naturalization in November 2010(it will be 18 months since I entered USA in May 2009).

My argument- married for last 3 years to a USC, Spend 18 months of those last 3 years in USA.

My doubt- from year 2006 till May 2009 i had a GC, but was working full time in UK. 2007 till 2009 i was working full time in UK on a re entry permit.

AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR NATURALIZATION? IF NOT WHICH MONTH AND YEAR SHOULD I BE ELIGIBLE?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all
Default Re: ?Eligibility

oops, sorry didnt realise i was not in the USA Immigration section- wish some one moves me, Ta
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadnad
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR NATURALIZATION? IF NOT WHICH MONTH AND YEAR SHOULD I BE ELIGIBLE?
You must fulfill both the "physical presence" and "continuous residence" requirements. If I understand what you've written, your naturalization clock stopped when you were outside the US for more than 1 year - reentry permit notwithstanding. In that case, you must now wait 4 years + 1 day from the date you reentered the US before you can apply. I don't know if that can be waived if married to a USC... you would still need to meet those 2 requirements in addition to the 3 years married to a USC. Hopefully, someone else can clarify.

Check out the Guide to Naturalization... it's spelled out pretty clearly.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You must fulfill both the "physical presence" and "continuous residence" requirements. If I understand what you've written, your naturalization clock stopped when you were outside the US for more than 1 year - reentry permit notwithstanding. In that case, you must now wait 4 years + 1 day from the date you reentered the US before you can apply. I don't know if that can be waived if married to a USC... you would still need to meet those 2 requirements in addition to the 3 years married to a USC. Hopefully, someone else can clarify.

Ian
[Sigh] OP needs a legal consultation.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
[Sigh] OP needs a legal consultation.
If only i could afford you
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ?Eligibility-Naturalization

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian

Not true. He is still eligible to file under the 3 year rule but if he is outside of the US for more than one continuous year than the clock is reset and he needs to wait for another 2 years +1 day (the clock is reset one year after a full day spent in the US).

Also depends on his having maintained US residency, the company he worked for in the UK (where they a US company who transferred him), etc.

You do not need to retain the services of an attorney for a one time consultation with one. I'm sure you can afford to squeeze out $100 for a consult and if not, then depending on where you are living look for a city sponsored or community sponsored or school sponsored program that aids immigrants.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He is still eligible to file under the 3 year rule but if he is outside of the US for more than one continuous year than the clock is reset and he needs to wait for another 2 years +1 day (the clock is reset one year after a full day spent in the US).
Thanks for the clarification... I wasn't sure!

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Just to add- when i was working in UK i made a trip to the US every year, but these trips were like a week long. So i was not continously out of US for years.

My UK job was not related to any USA employer.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you were outside of the US for one continuous year regardless of your vacations to the US of a week now and again. You were living (residing) and working in another country. You maintained your residency in the US but you were not residing in it.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes you were outside of the US for one continuous year regardless of your vacations to the US of a week now and again. You were living (residing) and working in another country. You maintained your residency in the US but you were not residing in it.
Rete: you nailed it on post #7 -- 100%.