Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EB5, Vermont Regional Center scandal

EB5, Vermont Regional Center scandal

Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default EB5, Vermont Regional Center scandal

VTDigger Exclusive: EB-5 investors question state watchdog's independence - VTDigger

Investors in a Northeast Kingdom development question whether a state official was watching out for their best interests. In complaints to the state, they allege that Brent Raymond, the executive director of the Vermont Regional Center, was not playing enough of a watchdog role in his oversight of the Tram Haus Lodge project at Jay Peak.
Sounds like investors will be getting a haircut!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

John_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB5, Vermont Regional Center scandal

Originally Posted by cranston
Last September, Stenger told reporters Jay Peak would repay the investors $50,000 a year over 10 years.

“And our partners are thrilled,” Stenger said at the time.
Yet the terms of the Aug. 31, 2013, promissory note Stenger and Quiros signed just weeks before specify that investors would receive a 1 percent interest rate and payments on their $500,000 principal over a nine-year period: $21,500 each year for eight years and a check for $343,697 on Jan. 31, 2023.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 11:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Discussion about the complaints, a Fortune Magazine mention, the VTDigger article and a British expatriate forum feature prominently in correspondence between the state and Jay Peak.
Fame at last.

“Vermont is the only EB-5 program that covers the entire state of Vermont and is audited by the state of Vermont,” [Gov.] Shumlin says. “We make sure that our EB-5 program offerings are good investments for the investor, and good economic development job creators for the state of Vermont.”
Which I thought was rather improbable when I read their website.

The state has not conducted financial audits of the program, according to John Kessler, the general counsel for the Agency of Commerce and Community Development.

In a statement, the governor’s office said Shumlin recognizes the agency “does not audit these projects, but provides independent oversight.” The governor says the Vermont EB-5 center has been an important tool for Vermont’s economic development and “the agency works hard to ensure projects do not wrongly characterize the state’s role in promotional materials.”

In a June 24 memo, Kessler asks Stenger and Quiros to take the promotional video down to edit out the governor’s “misstatement” and make other changes. Kessler’s email to Jay Peak was a response to a Tram Haus investor complaint about the video.

“I am glad to learn you are removing it from Jay Peak’s web site,” Kessler wrote. “I share Brent’s concern about the portion where the governor says the State audits projects. No matter how many ways one could interpret his use of the term ‘audit,’ we have consistently advised the governor and anyone else not to describe the regional center’s oversight role as involving the performance of financial audits.

“Moreover, you will recall that a couple of years ago we asked you to hire an outside auditor to do just that and you reported to us that it was too much of an expense and that you would rely upon the overall audit done on Jay Peak rather than a separate audit focused exclusively on EB5,” Kessler wrote. “So, the reality is an audit of Jay Peak’s EB5 projects is not performed by the State OR Jay Peak.”
So it's complete and utter bullshit in other words, how many people invested on the strength of it?

And they've now apparently taken the investor's ownership shares and converted them into unsecured loans - without their consent. Gee, I wonder how much of that money they'll get back?

The real question is what's going to happen now that no-one will invest in it anymore, because (a) no-one will after all this and (b) apparently the EB-5 quota will be exhausted this year so new investors couldn't even if they wanted to.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:17 am
Just Joined

illu345re is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Despite the scandal they have investors signing up regularly.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by illu345re
Despite the scandal they have investors signing up regularly.
Well then, the investors are idiots who deserve to lose their investment.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ian. It's unfortunate, a friend gave them a visit in October and brought back the aforementioned news.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No surprises there then!

Why can't people see for themselves that if the investment potential of what they are being offered is anywhere near as good as they are being promised then Wall St would be "all over it" and there would be no need for any EB-5 suckers investors?
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Yes, from some of the posts in the forum, seemed sensible that they had stated the EB5 process (albeit passive indirect EB5) is more like "buying" the GC than investig to obtain one.

With Wall Street and their enthusiasm for a good(less bad) project, being an EB5 investor myself, it seems to me that part could partially be explained with lower interest rates offered by regional center as money lender, which is typically around %2. Is the project owner who chooses the RC over the traditional banking system. In turn, the RC is happy with those kind of numbers, because for them the real money comes from the immigrants, in cash and up to $60K per EB5 applicant (as regional center fee).
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by illu345re
Yes, from some of the posts in the forum, seemed sensible that they had stated the EB5 process (albeit passive indirect EB5) is more like "buying" the GC than investig to obtain one.

With Wall Street and their enthusiasm for a good(less bad) project, being an EB5 investor myself, it seems to me that part could partially be explained with lower interest rates offered by regional center as money lender, which is typically around %2. .....
Every time I get involved in an EB-5 thread I end up posting the same explanation, so here goes:

Investment in the project is invariably split into multiple "tranches", each with different risk and return expectations. The lowest risk tranche is sold to pension funds and insurance companies, then there might be some commercial bank loans which get a higher return and a greater (though still low) risk of default, then there are venture capitalists and hedge funds, and finally, last in line, are the EB-5 investors who are last in line for the profits but first in line to get hit with any losses. ..... The EB-5s can get completely wiped out without the project failing, and the other investors are kept happy and get their investment returns and money back. The "success" of the project has nothing to do with the EB-5s and any return they get.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I always post on these threads is...

By law there can be no guarantee of return on investment for an eb5.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

The problem that a lot of EB-5 investors can't get their heads around is that it's not a question of not getting much if any, of a return on their investment, it's that they stand to lose much if not all of their invested capital!
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Every time I get involved in an EB-5 thread I end up posting the same explanation, so here goes...
While your comments are elementary, posting them still might help those who are confused about EB5 e.g. bet on a dead horse like Jay Peak.

The point of disagreement for me is the previous comment, that if these projects were of quality, the Wall Street would be actively involved. Currently there are several such projects (including NY and one in LA) with heavy weight financiers and big name players, but that does not change the fact that by law, EB5 investment for the immigrant must be at risk with no garauntee of return.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Has the EB-5 been renewed yet? Last I heard it was due to expire September 30, and there was some talk that it might not be extended.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

Most articles suggest it will get renewed for an interim period, whilst reforms are considered

More importantly the annual cap of 10k has already been reached.

Last edited by Eggx; Sep 27th 2015 at 9:45 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docnetau
Has the EB-5 been renewed yet? Last I heard it was due to expire September 30, and there was some talk that it might not be extended.
Been continued until December 11th but that doesn't really mean a lot unless there are going to be more visas available, it's just a stopgap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.