Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EB2 question: Masters or bachelors + 5 years

EB2 question: Masters or bachelors + 5 years

Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default EB2 question: Masters or bachelors + 5 years

In USCIS's eyes, a bachelors degree + 5 years continues work experience in the field is the equivalent of a masters / advanced degree, for EB2 purposes.

So, my question - does this work the other way?

If my employer required me to have a bachelors degree and 5 years experience (but not a masters degree) would that be enough for me to apply for a greencard through the EB2 route?

Probably not, just wondered what thoughts you guys might have...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EB2 question: Masters or bachelors + 5 years

Originally Posted by dh010447
In USCIS's eyes, a bachelors degree + 5 years continues work experience in the field is the equivalent of a masters / advanced degree, for EB2 purposes.

If my employer required me to have a bachelors degree and 5 years experience (but not a masters degree) would that be enough for me to apply for a greencard through the EB2 route?

Probably not, just wondered what thoughts you guys might have...
Hi:

You made a slight typo in your question. So, let me correct it. Your question was with correction in bold:

In USCIS's eyes, a bachelors degree + 5 years continues work experience in the field is not the equivalent of a masters / advanced degree, for EB2 purposes.

So, the answer is that neither way would be sufficient. Now, if the employer requires a master's degree, but will accept as equivalent a bachelor's plus 5 years of progressively more responsible experience -- that might work.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You made a slight typo in your question. So, let me correct it. Your question was with correction in bold:

In USCIS's eyes, a bachelors degree + 5 years continues work experience in the field is not the equivalent of a masters / advanced degree, for EB2 purposes.

So, the answer is that neither way would be sufficient. Now, if the employer requires a master's degree, but will accept as equivalent a bachelor's plus 5 years of progressively more responsible experience -- that might work.

Good luck.
I thought that EB2 required either a Masters degree or a bachelors degree + 5 years? Perhaps I read it wrong. Anyway - it was a long-shot.

Looks like I'll have to aim to get promoted and go through EB1c if I want to stay here...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
I thought that EB2 required either a Masters degree or a bachelors degree + 5 years? Perhaps I read it wrong. Anyway - it was a long-shot.

Looks like I'll have to aim to get promoted and go through EB1c if I want to stay here...

It appears to be that it's the job requirements that governs the EB class you can go for. I have a Masters but because my job only requires a degree then I have to go for the EB3
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave2702
It appears to be that it's the job requirements that governs the EB class you can go for. I have a Masters but because my job only requires a degree then I have to go for the EB3
Hi:

Thank you for pointing out the perils of on-line questions. Lets say that you did meet the alien qualification requirements of the EB-2 and this was confirmed in this forum -- many people would have taken this as a statement that you could get an EB-2 visa based upon your current job. However, as you ably point out, the second conclusion would not have been true due to the fact that you left out a salient fact.

I bring this up because of a discussion in the marriage forum of somebody who says he got advice from two attorneys. As described, the advice is wrong and one lay-poster said the attorneys are "idiots." I pointed out that there may very well be circumstances just as what happened here.

Good luck in your quest.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:37 am
Just Joined

annieslp is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG! I have been having this EB2 EB3 battle with 2 different attorneys for the last year! (

I am in a Master's profession (US Speech Pathologists must have Master's Degree). In the UK a Speech Therapist is qualified with a Bachelor's...

8 years ago there was a mutual recognition agreement between the professional bodies, the American Speech & Hearing Association (ASHA) and the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists (RCSLT) determined that qualification was largely equivocal. This allowed for Therapists from both sides of the pond to practice in each other's country.

I have been granted a License to practice (US SLP requirement ... Master's)
I have been granted Visa Screen Document (requirement.... Master's)
I have passed the final exam (PRAXIS II) taken at the end of a Master's
I have been awarded a Certificate of Clinical Competance (CCCs) which is only awarded to American SLPs who are Master's qualified AND have completed one year clinical fellowship
I could supervise a Master's student...in her final clinical year... (Only Master's qualified clinicians with CCCs and 2 years experience can do this)

Two Attorney's have told me that I am EB3....because I only have a Bachelor's!

Am I frustrated?.....yeah!

Last edited by annieslp; Nov 9th 2008 at 4:45 am.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annieslp
8 years ago there was a mutual recognition agreement between the professional bodies...
While I may be stating the obvious here, the US government is not obligated to recognize any such agreement for *immigration* purposes.

Two Attorney's have told me that I am EB3....because I only have a Bachelor's!
Unless you secretly have a Master's degree that you're not mentioning, you *do* only have a Bachelor's degree. The fact that you are allowed to practice by virtue of this "mutual recognition agreement" and that you have "equivalent" qualifications, does not equate to you having a Master's degree.

In Canada, for example, when a person gets a law degree, it's an LLB - a Bachelor of Laws. In the US, that same person would get a JD - a Juris Doctor. One is a Bachelor's degree, the other is a Doctorate. Are they equivalent? For practice... yes - but that's where the similarity ends.

I have a B.Ed - in Canada, the Bachelor of Education is a full 36 hour post-Bachelor graduate degree (at least, it was when I graduated 25 years ago). In the US, the full 36 hour post-Bachelor graduate degree in Education is an MAT - a Master of Arts in Teaching. I couldn't get the job I wanted as a teacher in the US - because the position required a Master's degree. All they saw was that I had a B.Ed and, come hell or high water, they refused to accept that the degrees were equivalent.

I went back to school and got a Master's degree. I suggest you do the same.

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

annieslp is an unknown quantity at this point

So what happened to the Bachelors + 5 years (allowing for EB2 filing)? I did forget to mention that I have been practicing for over 5 years.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annieslp
So what happened to the Bachelors + 5 years (allowing for EB2 filing)? I did forget to mention that I have been practicing for over 5 years.
Take a look at Mr. Folinsky's first post in this thread. He correctly identifies the problem with the B+5 theory.

Ian