Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EB2 ETA9089\for software developer position- please review

EB2 ETA9089\for software developer position- please review

Old May 12th 2010, 7:55 pm
Banned

MichaelX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EB2 ETA9089\for software developer position- please review

Please review my ETA 9089, it must fit EB2.

H.3. Job title: SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
H.4. Education: minimum level required: MASTER'S
H.4-B. Major field of study: COMPUTER SCIENCE
H.5. Is training required in the job opportunity? NO
H.6. Is experience in the job offered required for the job? YES
H.6-A. If Yes, number of months experience required: 12
7. Is there an alternate field of study that is acceptable? NO
H.8. Is there an alternate combination of education and experience that is acceptable? NO
H.11. Job duties:
Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems.....
Design and develop programming systems making specific determinations....
Responsible for development of new programs, analyzes...
Responsible for analysis of current programs including performance….
Review and repair legacy code….
H.12. Are the job opportunity's requirements normal for the occupation? YES
H.14. Specific skills or other requirements: EMPTY

I am not quite sure about H.6, H.6-A. My understanding is that a senior s/w developer position requires experience, at least 1 year. On the other hand Masters’s degree + 12 months of experience may exceed SVP.

Thank you,
Old May 12th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB2 ETA9089\for software developer position- please review

Originally Posted by MichaelX

H.8. Is there an alternate combination of education and experience that is acceptable? NO
H.11. Job duties:
Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems.....

I am not quite sure about H.6, H.6-A. My understanding is that a senior s/w developer position requires experience, at least 1 year. On the other hand Masters’s degree + 12 months of experience may exceed SVP.

Thank you,
Comment: If people care to answer your question, a complete set of facts is needed.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:15 pm
Banned

What facts are needed? I would be happy to share more…

This is a typical case for a software developer position. There must be hundreds of IT guys who want to qualify for EB2.

So typical requirements: Master’s degree + some experience. I put 12 months.

I answered Yes for question 12 “opportunity's requirements normal for the occupation? “ because it looks like quite normal requirements for this position.

Does anyone have experience of filing a form with similar parameters?

Or something that could be a red flag for DOL?
Old May 12th 2010, 10:19 pm
Banned

aussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura aboutaussie_best has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: EB2 ETA9089\for software developer position- please review

H.11. Job duties:

Thank you,
For case specific questions its better to consult a qualified immigration attorney...
Old May 13th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

This is a typical case for a software developer position. There must be hundreds of IT guys who want to qualify for EB2.

I answered Yes for question 12 “opportunity's requirements normal for the occupation? “ because it looks like quite normal requirements for this position.

Does anyone have experience of filing a form with similar parameters?

Or something that could be a red flag for DOL?
Comment: it is notable that you cannot be bothered to give any facts about the prospective employer. What does the employer's lawyer have to say?
Old May 13th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not an expert in any way on the immigration side, but from my experience of working in the software industry, I find that most senior roles want 5+ years of experience. No idea if this is of any relevance or not.

As Mr Folinsky has already stated, perhaps with more details of the employer things may become clearer.

Last edited by srefre; May 13th 2010 at 6:17 am. Reason: typo
Old May 13th 2010, 2:52 pm
Banned

Srefre, thank you for your comment.

It confuses me too, If I put 3-5 years of experience it will exceed SVP for sure.

On the other hand I don’t want to answer NO to H.12 (requirements normal for the occupation) because requirements look pretty normal.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Comment: it is notable that you cannot be bothered to give any facts about the prospective employer. What does the employer's lawyer have to say?
Query: I forgot to ask -- you mention "my" application. Are you the employer or the alien beneficiary? You don't say.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:03 pm
Banned

Yes, I am an alien . Lawyers don’t ask such questions…

I have my company’s lawyer that I have to use but he is not experienced with this. My company wouldn’t be happy if I suggest switching to another lawyer so I need to control this myself.
Old May 13th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

I have my company’s lawyer that I have to use but he is not experienced with this.
What gives you the impression they are not experienced enough? You have shown that you don't have the experience by seeking assistance here.

I'm sure this person will seek help from more experienced people they work with if they can't answer your questions.

If you don't believe this then you should be telling your employer, they are paying for a service that they are not getting.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Commentator

I have my company’s lawyer that I have to use but he is not experienced with this. My company wouldn’t be happy if I suggest switching to another lawyer so I need to control this myself.
Comment: You don't know "DOL-speak" at all. Furthermore, "DOL-speak" and "CIS-speak" are two different languages.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Lawyers don’t ask such questions…
And yet a lawyer asked the question. It's not your application... it's the company's application.

I have my company’s lawyer that I have to use but he is not experienced with this.
Unless you're also a lawyer, I suggest he has more experience than you do.

My company wouldn’t be happy if I suggest switching to another lawyer so I need to control this myself.
You may be the beneficiary of the application, but you aren't the applicant. How then, do you plan to control the application?

Ian
Old May 13th 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am an alien . Lawyers don’t ask such questions…

There is nothing in the "rules" that says you can't retain the services of an immigration attorney in addition to the company one. In fact, it is probably wise to have a professional looking out for your interests rather than the companies because it will be you who gets screwed if things go wrong.
Old May 13th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There is nothing in the "rules" that says you can't retain the services of an immigration attorney in addition to the company one.
Socratic query: Would you make the same statement if you were fluent in "DOL-speak?" Explain.

Comment: Literature is often a guide on how to view things. The terms "Orwellian" and "Kafkaesque" come to mind. And of course, Joseph Heller will always be remembered for "Catch 22."

Old May 13th 2010, 7:37 pm
Banned

>>How then, do you plan to control the application?
I am planning to suggest some ideas regarding position and job duties/education level and review the form before filing if they allow me

>>What gives you the impression they are not experienced enough?
They never filed LC as EB2, only EB3

It’s all not that simple because most of the companies don’t cooperate well enough with employees that that are doing green cards for. For example, I already had my LC filed as EB3 and rejected. So what I realized is that it’s better get into this myself – at least I can read official documents and forums and see if my company/lawyers are doing things that correspond to my interests as well.

This LC processing is very confusing because there are no clear instructions how to apply for LC as EB2 category. That’s why I asked your advice here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.