EB-5 CMB or Jay Peak?

Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Jalsalmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EB-5 CMB or Jay Peak?

Hello, hope there are still EB-5 investors on this forum. My husband and I are thinking about investing in the EB-5. We are looking into Jay Peak and CMB. Has anyone got their initial investment returned? I am concerned that Jay Peak does not seem to have a clearly defined exit strategy. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB-5 CMB or Jay Peak?

I have no idea about either of those but my understanding of that visa is you should look at the investment as buying a visa and any money you get returned from the investment at any point in the future should be considered a bonus. Maybe I'm wrong but the general sense I get about that visa is you go in not expecting to get any money back.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Duncan, we always advise anyone considering an EB-5 that they should look at the investment as 'buying' the right to live in the US, and to not expect any return on the investment nor the return of the capital sum.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Really that's how it works? The lawyers and Regional Offices do not explain it that way. They talk about exit strategies in 5 to 6 years. True their is no return expected. I know it is not secure like the Canadian investor program, but they market it as it is most likely that your capital will be returned.
Thanks for your views.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do - would they get anyone to 'invest' if their business plan consist of them taking your money and you get nothing (other than a Green Card) in return?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jalsalmi
I know it is not secure like the Canadian investor program, but they market it as it is most likely that your capital will be returned.
The few articles I've read about it basically say that because there are enough wealthy people that want to live in the US and the easiest/only way is to invest a lot of people set up projects so they can do it. However, the projects are things that are unable to get funding elsewhere for valid reasons so the investors often lose most or all their money, but they end up with a greencard. I guess it's a tradeoff that you have to decide the pros and cons of.

You also have to understand that lawyers working for the regional offices are not working in your best interests, they want to get investors. If you walked in and they told you you would need to drop half a million to the cause and likely get nothing back, they won't get many takers. They can talk exit strategies like it's a sure thing but when you start looking into things you'll probably find that there is nothing guaranteed.

Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs but this seems to be the overwhelming view I've seen and heard.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:07 am
Just Joined

That is awful! I was hoping it was a way. The lottery has been closed as I understand by the new immigration law. My husband has a petition by his brother. His priority date is 2004. When we checked at the CVC it is still at initial review for six years it has not moved! Has that happened to anyone? Also has anyone noticed how in previous years the priority dates moved about one calendar year annually, but this past year it only moved a couple of months.
Do you think the processing speed will increase with the new immigration bill?
Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:51 am
Often not so civil...

Since the new immigration bill has not passed, and is probably not all the likely too, I doubt anything will change. As for the priority dates, they can and do speed up and slow down.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Thank you civilservant. Do you know if the DV lottery is still open?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:03 am
Often not so civil...

Yes, despite the proposal in CIR to do away with it it is still running at present and is likely too for the foreseeable future.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Really that's how it works? .....
Yes, very much so. Most investment schemes have multiple classes of investors including banks, hedge funds and other investment managers, as well as EB-5s. Guess which class of investor is the very last in line to get their money back?

A "green energy" business I know of in Washington state which is backed by an EB-5 scheme, and brags of being an investment that is "as good as solid gold", is currently building it's fourth "pilot" plant. I have no expectation that this new plant will move them any closer to profitable production. Needless to say the prospects for return of EB-5 investors' money, let alone "profits" is, er, .... not looking to be too good.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has a petition by his brother. His priority date is 2004. When we checked at the CVC it is still at initial review for six years it has not moved!
It will take about 13 years for the priority date to become current... so, another few years. There will be no movement until his PD becomes current. Once the PD becomes current, he will get a notice and he will be invited to apply for a visa.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Why do you think it will take 13 years? The PD now is 2001. On average in the past it has moved one year every calendar year. So I would think 3 more years. Am I missing something?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think it will take 13 years? The PD now is 2001. On average in the past it has moved one year every calendar year. So I would think 3 more years. Am I missing something?
You are both correct: Ian said " ... 13 years for the priority date to become current .... " which would be late 2016 or, as we are rapidly approaching the end of the year, 2017.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think it will take 13 years?
I was counting from the PD... not from today - which is why I also said, "another few years".

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 8th 2013 at 2:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.