Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD - New SSN - DENIED bank Account

EAD - New SSN - DENIED bank Account

Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

airborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura about
Default EAD - New SSN - DENIED bank Account

Hey there all
I've received my EAD and got my SSN on the 11th. Started work same day i got my SSN. No problems so far..
I got my paycheck (paystub) everything perfect but.......

When we went to the bank with my wife, so she can put me on her file, they denied it... (Bank of America).
She printed out a piece of paper saying i have to contact ChexSystems..
I have contacted ChexSystems and they sent me a letter. All the reports show that there is NO INFORMATION FOUND until i saw SSN validation.. INVALID NUMBER - Not Yet Issued...

Did anybody get this issue also?!?

-October i-485 (Waiting for that Day)

Last edited by airborn83; Aug 29th 2006 at 12:46 am. Reason: wrong title ;)
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD - New SSN - DENIED bank Account

To cash in a cheque, or to add you to the bank account?

You don't need a SSN to do either, so either ask to speak to someone up in the bank, or try another branch...or ditch the bank for another one...
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:23 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

When I first came moved here a few years back I applied for a bank account with Wells Fargo. At the line asking for ssn, I put my Alien number as I had no ssn. They opened my account for me the same day.

On the downside, once i had a valid ssn it sucked whenever I did phone banking and they would ask for my last 4 digits. I would give my correct ss digits, but they were cross referencing it against my A#. Talk about confusing.

Originally Posted by airborn83
Hey there all
I've received my EAD and got my SSN on the 11th. Started work same day i got my SSN. No problems so far..

When we went to the bank with my wife, so she can put me on her file, they denied it... (Bank of America).
I have contacted ChexSystems and they sent me a letter. All the reports show that there is NO INFORMATION FOUND until i saw SSN validation.. INVALID NUMBER - Not Yet Issued...

Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

airborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
To cash in a cheque, or to add you to the bank account?

You don't need a SSN to do either, so either ask to speak to someone up in the bank, or try another branch...or ditch the bank for another one...
We went to the drivethru and given my paycheck to the lady. She put it on my wife's account and cashed it. My question is adding my name to the bank account.

In 2 months we have interview and I do not have ANY bills or anything on my name under this address. My wife has the utility bill.. that's all...

(SSN)(USCIS) everything is my address though...
Paystubs [Both] everything...

Banks only want EAD, SSN and ID (license, identification).... EAD second ID...

greets
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the drivethru and given my paycheck to the lady. She put it on my wife's account and cashed it. My question is adding my name to the bank account.

In 2 months we have interview and I do not have ANY bills or anything on my name under this address. My wife has the utility bill.. that's all...

greets
Hi airborn,

As suggested, try talking to a higher-up at the bank. Wells Fargo had no problem adding my husband to my existing checking account, and opening a new checking account for him (with my name added as well), all without his SSN. When he got the number, we updated the bank records. Keep trying.

What's weird is that you HAVE all the things necessary....EAD, SSN, passport...I can't see any reason they wouldn't add you to her account. Definitely talk to a manager.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

greets
Your bank doesn't need an SSN to add you to the account, they just need proof of ID, so a passport is more than enough, if they give you a hassle, ditch them.

As for the utilities, you can just add your name to the account, there's time to get a bill in your name on the billing cycle.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As for the utilities, you can just add your name to the account, there's time to get a bill in your name on the billing cycle.
I agree. I added my alien husband to my utility bills, and none of them needed either his ID or his SSN. Just me telling them his name was enough.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree. I added my alien husband to my utility bills, and none of them needed either his ID or his SSN. Just me telling them his name was enough.

Rene
Having said that, when I needed a something with my name on it for the dmv, stupid electric sent the bill only in the missus name, even though we're both on the contract...but the dmv are a whole other game of pain *l*
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

amazing...

Let's try tomorrow hopefully i'll get it..
maybe the SSN is not updated
?!?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

maybe the SSN is not updated
Which part of Bob's "your bank doesn't need an SSN to add you to the account, they just need proof of ID" didn't you understand. This has nothing to do with updating your SSN - it has to do with bank policy. Speak to a bank manager.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. You've got a brand new social security number and it isn't in ChexSystems' computer yet. Everytime they run out of numbers, they issue a new batch -- but there is a slight delay until systems are updated. Hence you're stuck in limbo coz of someone else's balls up. This is a common place to be in the US of A so look on it as experience.

ChexSystems are a pile of faceless wankers you won't get any joy from whatsoever. However, BoA has plenty of clout. Take it beyond the happy, smiling banker who generally knows eff all and can do eff all. The manager probably won't be much better, either. But a jedi toad in Wank of America will be able to sort it. Your job is to get there using sickly, smiling persuasion and grit combined with an occassional threat. You have to make each player on the ladder believe that it is their interest to pass you up the chain until you get to the hallowed one who can sort the problem out. Look on it as an amusing game and then it doesn't grate so much.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Which part of Bob's "your bank doesn't need an SSN to add you to the account, they just need proof of ID" didn't you understand. This has nothing to do with updating your SSN - it has to do with bank policy. Speak to a bank manager.

Ian
This is a difficult one. Under the Paranoid Decree from our Emperor (aka Patriot Act), you don’t need a SSN to open a bank account. However, if you have been issued a SSN, you are obliged to give it to the bank.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:35 pm

YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!!

ChexSystems is how more and more banks verify identification of people
and if they have any delinquent balances with any other financial
institution. It's almost like a credit report but for banks. (It's
pretty redundant, as I see it, but who am I to say?)

I believe it is totally up to bank to deny opening you an account or
adding you to an account. Why? Well, if they fully outsourced their
ID verification to Chex - and if they can't verify your ID - how can
they proceed? You may disagree with their policy of ID verification,
but it's not going to get you anything until your SSN indexes in
ChexSystems.

Try another bank for now. Although, from what I know a lot of the
banks use Chex nowadays - from small credit unions to national banks.

Good luck.

ian-mstm wrote:
    > > amazing...
    > >
    > > Let's try tomorrow hopefully i'll get it..
    > > maybe the SSN is not updated
    > > ?!?
    > Which part of Bob's "your bank doesn't need an SSN to add you to the
    > account, they just need proof of ID" didn't you understand. This has
    > nothing to do with updating your SSN - it has to do with bank policy.
    > Speak to a bank manager.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Hey there all

When I first arrived here 2 years ago, I got Carol to open a joint checking account for us both, with Bank of America. They took Carol's SSN and a copy of my passport. No problems. Bank of America are good, they took all my British cheques, Travellers Cheques, and put all those payments through there system free of charge. No conversion rates or fees at all. They are a good bank of first call when you arrive here. Just go into the bank and ask to speak to someone higher up, not the tellers.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:12 pm

Hmmm, I don't think people pay attention.

If a bank switches to Chex, it means that it becomes the only and
ultimate id verification system. You can't bypass it. There's no way
around it, unless you find a bank associate who will be willing to
unwillingly commit an act against the bank policy. (I may be wrong but
I think Chex was required to be set up under the DHS mandate, too -
it's not just that the banks got bored and decided to come up with
extra hassle) Times change, and if two years ago Mr. King Fisher could
do what he did, it doesn't mean things are the same now. Besides,
maybe his SSN got indexed sooner for ojective and subjective reasons.

SSN is fairly quick in propagating changes throughout the system, once
the number has been assigned. I wouldn't wait, however, I would search
for a bank that doesn't yet deal with Chex. Either way, you'll be fine
with some patience.

There's no pressing need to have your name on a bank account....or IS
THERE?

kingfisher241049 wrote:
    > > Hey there all
    > > I've received my EAD and got my SSN on the 11th. Started work same day
    > > i got my SSN. No problems so far..
    > > I got my paycheck (paystub) everything perfect but.......
    > >
    > > When we went to the bank with my wife, so she can put me on her file,
    > > they denied it... (Bank of America).
    > > She printed out a piece of paper saying i have to contact
    > > ChexSystems..
    > > I have contacted ChexSystems and they sent me a letter. All the
    > > reports show that there is NO INFORMATION FOUND until i saw SSN
    > > validation.. INVALID NUMBER - Not Yet Issued...
    > >
    > > Did anybody get this issue also?!?
    > >
    > >
    > > -October i-485 (Waiting for that Day)
    > When I first arrived here 2 years ago, I got Carol to open a joint
    > checking account for us both, with Bank of America. They took Carol's
    > SSN and a copy of my passport. No problems. Bank of America are
    > good, they took all my British cheques, Travellers Cheques, and put
    > all those payments through there system free of charge. No conversion
    > rates or fees at all. They are a good bank of first call when you
    > arrive here. Just go into the bank and ask to speak to someone higher
    > up, not the tellers.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.