Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD in New Orleans and 2 QUESTIONS

EAD in New Orleans and 2 QUESTIONS

Old Jun 30th 2001, 1:44 am
Blakely28

Hey!! My husband got his EAD today from the New Orleans office!! We got there about
9:30am and were SURPRISED by all the people!!! There were about 10 other people
waiting to get their EAD too. We got of the building about 10:15am. So it was a
total of 45 minutes. Not too bad considering that the place WAS PACKED! Some word
of advice... GO EARLY!

Now here is my question... do we now go down to the Social Security Office to apply
for my husbands SSN #? Will that be all they need to see... the EAD? Or will they
need to see his passport, marriage licence, drivers license, etc??? Just wondering.
My mother is taking him because I work all day this week and have no time off. (

One more quick question... When can he apply for a USA drivers license? NOW? Or after
the interview which will not be until next year maybe???

THANKS!!! Lynn

Old Jun 30th 2001, 10:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to take his EAD card and bring his passport.

As for his driver's license, that varies from state to state. Check out your state by either calling them for their requirements or look online to see if they have a website up and running. Look for i.e. NYS DMV and if it is there it will be listed.

Heck I did it for you and got:

http://www.dps.state.la.us/omvwww.nsf?OpenDatabase

but it asks for login information? hmmm strange.

Rita
Old Jun 30th 2001, 4:52 pm
michael d young

Blakely28 wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

OK to get a SSN that is work authorized, he will need proof of age, identity, legal
alien status, EAD and Form SS-5. So take birth certificate, passport, EAD and
completed and signed Form SS-5. If you get any crap from person on the front desk ask
to see the office manager.

You can download form SS-5 at:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

You will need to first install the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a free, with a link
on the SS-5 page to get it.

Take care,

Mike

Old Jun 30th 2001, 10:48 pm
Blakely28

THANKS TO Both Rita and Mike for the help!! You guys are great! Hubby and I are
feeling alot better. Take care and bless you.

Lynn

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 12:07 am
ciccina

Lynn -

I thought you guys were in Mississippi? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Francesco and I
are in Mississippi too, so I was thinking earlier that we were both having to deal
with the long drive into N.O. We're north of N.O., near Hattiesburg, btw.

Congratulations on receiving your EAD, and much good luck to you in the future.

Peace&Love - Lucy&Francesco