Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD for a Child on L2 visa who is Studying

EAD for a Child on L2 visa who is Studying

Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

hkplondoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EAD for a Child on L2 visa who is Studying

Originally Posted by crg
There are factors other than tuition that should be considered.

An F-1 would lose the benefit of dual intent enjoyed by an L-2. The F-1 is required to be maintain an unrelinquished foreign residence they have no intention of abandoning but an L-2 isn't. There are also differences in what is needed for travel if an adjustment of status is pending.
The last thing I want is for him to lose the L2 dual intent. Will have to try and get my comapny to file for my Green card earlier to aviod going down the route of F1 visa.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hkplondoner
Correct we have been adviced to apply for the FAFSA, and then wait and see what the colleges offer in their Financial Aid packages.
Then why worry about the L2 and work? It won't make any difference to him as he's not eligible to work.

Something you should have known from the get go on moving here and reason to get greencards on the go as soon as possible. If you've got a date x for when the company will do it, they're under no obligation to do it sooner and really it would be detrimental for them to bother if they can tie you to a visa for as long as possible.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Then why worry about the L2 and work? It won't make any difference to him as he's not eligible to work.

Something you should have known from the get go on moving here and reason to get greencards on the go as soon as possible. If you've got a date x for when the company will do it, they're under no obligation to do it sooner and really it would be detrimental for them to bother if they can tie you to a visa for as long as possible.
The problem is the major he is persuing requires him to mandatory carry out work experience in the field during his 4 year major. If he can't work on the L2 and not perform the work, he wont graduate.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is the major he is persuing requires him to mandatory carry out work experience in the field during his 4 year major. If he can't work on the L2 and not perform the work, he wont graduate.
Then he does another major, goes to uni in the UK, do the internship at the end of the study rather than as a sandwich at which point depending on if you're L1a or b, you'd have your greencards.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Then he does another major, goes to uni in the UK, do the internship at the end of the study rather than as a sandwich at which point depending on if you're L1a or b, you'd have your greencards.
I don't think that is a realistic option.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't think that is a realistic option.
It's something to plan for and discuss with the uni. They can be very flexible when you're paying them cash.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's something to plan for and discuss with the uni. They can be very flexible when you're paying them cash.
Sure I can run this by them.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if the US has something such as this...my daughter went to uni in Canada....part of the course was to work as an intern for 3 months in the final year. As it was part of the course she applied and got a student work permit to allow her to work as an intern.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not sure if the US has something such as this...my daughter went to uni in Canada....part of the course was to work as an intern for 3 months in the final year. As it was part of the course she applied and got a student work permit to allow her to work as an intern.
Over here, you'd usually get a J1 for a internship, or use OPT on the student F1 visa, which wouldn't be a option really, if you've got a greencard in the works.