EAD in Chicago

Old May 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Qwikhog

Default EAD in Chicago

I tried sending a letter to the INS office in Chicago to ask their proceedures on
EAD's, but it's been almost 4 weeks and have not heard anything! Has anyone recently
filed for an EAD in Chicago and know the steps to do it? Will they give my UK fiancee
EAD applications at the POE? Thanks for any advice..

Frank

Old May 16th 2002, 9:20 pm
Di

Default Re: EAD in Chicago

[email protected] (QWIKHOG) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I tried sending a letter to the INS office in Chicago to ask their proceedures on
    > EAD's, but it's been almost 4 weeks and have not heard anything! Has anyone
    > recently filed for an EAD in Chicago and know the steps to do it? Will they give my
    > UK fiancee EAD applications at the POE? Thanks for any advice..
    >
    > Frank

Filed for EAD renewal almost 2mo ago. No receipt, yet. Do they just send an appt.
letter or a receipt first? Waiting for interview since May 2001. Please share with us
any info you might have.

Old May 17th 2002, 3:20 am
Shussbar

>Has anyone recently filed for an EAD in Chicago and know the steps to do it?

After getting married, you have to file for Adjustment of Status and in the same time
for the EAD You can download all the form on the INS.gov web site. Writting directly
INS is not a good idea, they never reply! For info, here s my time frame in Chicago
My experience in Chicago for Adj of Status :

June 98 : Entered country, got EAD for 3 months at Boston Logan July 4th 98 : got
married Aug 98 : sent AOS, EAD forms to local INS Chicago

Sept 98 : 1 st EAD issued for 1 year Sept 99 : 2 nd EAD issued for 1 year

July 26th 2000 : Appointment for Interview. Went to interview. 10 minutes. Was told
to go the next week to have my fingerprints taken at INS center on Pulaski and
Officer told me that INS then will call me in a couple weeks to have my passeport
stamp as Permanent Resident.

July 28th 2000 : Fingerprints cleared from FBi ( i called them , they say it was sent
back to INS Chicago Aug 5th)

June 2001: Still nothing!! Contacted congressman. Was told then by him that INS will
send me appointment soon

July 16th 2001 : Apointment at INS. Officer said that the officer in charge of my
file moved to another department and my fil was sitting there, with nobody taking
care of it!! He stamped my passport and said that I should get the Green CArd in the
mail within 9 months or so!( like a baby!!). Well game over, I have the stamp, dont
need EAD anymore ( i was tired of sending 100 $ each time!!) At this day , May 11th,
2002, i didn t yet receive the Green Card. I wrote my Congressman again, he contacted
INS, and was told i should get an answer on the staus of my real GC within 3 weeks.
May 15th : Congressman office called. They have been in contact with INS Chicago who
told that my file was at INS Nebraska for the green Card ( I guess it takes 9 months
to send a file from Chicago to Nebarska!!). The good news is that Nebraska said to my
Congressman office that it will be processed within 7 days and I should get my
Plastic Green Card in the mail very soon. It might be the end of the all story
started August 1998 to get the Permanent Residency ( Green Card)

Old May 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Skaternl

You should call the INS info number or read www.ins.usdoj.gov

Don't expect a letter back from them, they have enough 'other' stuff to do (I send
letters to the embassy before and never got a reply either)

Filed for EAD in October, got my EAD in January.

If your fiancee arrives in Chicago, NOPE, he won't get a EAD. You could try to go to
the INS office in Chicago after he arrives and ask for the temp EAD. Though, from
what I read in this NG, it seems that you are allowed to work for the time your K1 is
valid. Which means, the first 90 days after arriving in the US.

[email protected] (QWIKHOG) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I tried sending a letter to the INS office in Chicago to ask their proceedures on
    > EAD's, but it's been almost 4 weeks and have not heard anything! Has anyone
    > recently filed for an EAD in Chicago and know the steps to do it? Will they give my
    > UK fiancee EAD applications at the POE? Thanks for any advice..
    >
    > Frank

Old May 17th 2002, 7:20 am
Skaternl

Sometimes they give you a reciept (grocery list style reciept that you paid with
your money order) and sometimes you don't hear a word at all. You always get the
invitation letter to come get your EAD (green letter). 2 months waiting is till
okay. If you don't get a letter within a month, it could get suspicious. If you
don't get it within 90 days after sending in the application, you are entitled to
get a temporary one (as far as I know, call the INS info line for this or read
other posts).

This info is from my K1 experience. I don't know about other visas though.

Good luck, Daniel

[email protected] (Di) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > [email protected] (QWIKHOG) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I tried sending a letter to the INS office in Chicago to ask their proceedures on
    > > EAD's, but it's been almost 4 weeks and have not heard anything! Has anyone
    > > recently filed for an EAD in Chicago and know the steps to do it? Will they give
    > > my UK fiancee EAD applications at the POE? Thanks for any advice..
    > >
    > > Frank
    >
    > Filed for EAD renewal almost 2mo ago. No receipt, yet. Do they just send an appt.
    > letter or a receipt first? Waiting for interview since May 2001. Please share with
    > us any info you might have.