Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD - Additional Review - Should I be worried?

EAD - Additional Review - Should I be worried?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of
Default EAD - Additional Review - Should I be worried?

I'm on a L2 visa, and we arrived in April. At the end of May I finally got round to sending my EAD application off - I sent it by post, but signed up for email and text alerts. I received a receipt number by those mediums, but ended up contacting USCIS as I did not receive a mailed letter. They didn't seem too concerned, and said I had the only information that I needed, which was the LIN receipt number, and my application was about 1/3 of the way through. I originally had my husband's office address as contact (as we knew we would be moving), but changed the address to my new home address at the same time as my initial phone call. Subsequently I received a letter to say that the change had gone through - so far, so good.
90 days came, and no sign of my EAD. I've been checking on the website, and it shows as 'Initial Review'. So last week I rang again. The operator went through my details again and again, and basically read what information she could see, which is exactly the same as what I can read for myself - "On June 1, 2010, we received this I765 APPLICATION etc etc". She took my contact details (phone and email, again!) and said someone would contact me within 5 days. This morning I get what appears to be an automated email (5 times!) saying -

Based on your request we researched the status of Employment Authorization Document. This case is actively processing with an officer you will be notified as soon as a decision is made. However, the officers have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. Please allow extra time for an Officer to review your application. Furthermore, if all initial evidence was not included with your application or a question arose during adjudication that required a Request For Evidence, additional time would be needed and you will be notified as soon as a decision is made.
Which doesn't really tell me much, does it? They've not asked me for any additional information, so I'm wondering what the 'additional review' entails. Should I be worried? Part of me says 'well, it's in hand', but at the same time I'm feeling a bit paranoid If it was just a case of a backlog, they would have said that, wouldn't they?

(I tried not to make this too long, but didn't want to miss anything out!)
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD - Additional Review - Should I be worried?

Originally Posted by taffie77
They've not asked me for any additional information, so I'm wondering what the 'additional review' entails.
To be precise, you've not received a request for any additional information. That isn't to say that they didn't send one. As odd as this might sound, you are responsible to respond to any request they send... even if you don't receive it.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem that they actually have asked for something - since that would likely (although not always) show up in your web site updates.

Should I be worried?
No, not yet. You're just barely outside the typical processing time.

If it was just a case of a backlog, they would have said that, wouldn't they?
Not likely, no - they wouldn't.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ian.

I called back yesterday to see if they could tell give me an idea of how long 'the extra time' would be, and to enquire about getting an interim EAD. The woman I spoke to told me she couldn't enter another request for information onto the system until 30 days after the last one, and that an EAD couldn't possibly be progressed without fingerprints being taken (I know from reading on here that many people have not had to have biometrics done), however, so far no-one has been able to tell me whether they have sent a request and are waiting on me. Most of her responses seemed to be from a script. So I went onto the USCIS website and made a infopass appointment at the local(ish) centre for an interim EAD, and hope that a face to face conversation is slightly more helpful.

In better news, our green card journey started this week
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you called the 1-800# and spoke to the first-line personnel, she WAS reading from a script.
You too could earn min. wage answering immigrant questions.

If your green card journey included filing I-485, there is a separate EAD application that can go with that (for free/no addt'l charge). You might speak to your lawyers for some support with your EAD issues.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's pretty much what I suspected meauxana, which is why I was hopeful that a face to face will help.
I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea what form number is being submitted, as it is going through HR who deal with the lawyers. We've just been asked for various copies of stuff, which we have provided. It's an L1a conversion to green card.

As a further update, I have been obsessively checking my case status online, and this morning it suddenly says

On September 10, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail.
I'm hoping that this arrives into today's mail (though I will not hold my breath!). I'm wondering if it doesn't arrive today whether I should postpone tomorrow's meeting.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

That's pretty much what I suspected meauxana, which is why I was hopeful that a face to face will help.
I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea what form number is being submitted, as it is going through HR who deal with the lawyers. We've just been asked for various copies of stuff, which we have provided. It's an L1a conversion to green card.

As a further update, I have been obsessively checking my case status online, and this morning it suddenly says

I'm hoping that this arrives into today's mail (though I will not hold my breath!). I'm wondering if it doesn't arrive today whether I should postpone tomorrow's meeting.
Did you get the letter? what was the additional request?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsBriggo
Did you get the letter? what was the additional request?
Hi, I've been meaning to come back to do an update, so thanks for the nudge!

First of all, I kept the appointment with the local field office. As soon as I said I was there at the suggestion of the 'help line' I got the 'what have the said this time' eye roll. Despite what the 'help' line and the USCIS website say, there is no interim EAD anymore, and hasn't been for some years The guy at the field office was as helpful as he could be, and told me that I could register for E-Verify on the USCIS site. Due to not being able to load the page and lack of enthusiasm, I've not done it though

Two days later the letter arrived and they asked for a copy of our marriage certificate, and both our I-94s. My husband was actually in Sweden at the time, but we had made copies the previous week for the Green Card application. So, I sent the info off by certified mail so that I would know they received the information.
They received the documents on September 22nd, and updated their website accordingly, telling me 'you will get a response with in 60 days'
Just as I was giving up on getting it before Christmas, I logged on the site on Tuesday, and it now says that they have ordered production of my card
(though it has changed from saying it was ordered on the 4th to the 8th, hmmmm).

I'm convinced that they lost my application and the extra information request was an excuse , but hey-ho, the card should be in my hand soon.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

Hi, I've been meaning to come back to do an update, so thanks for the nudge!

First of all, I kept the appointment with the local field office. As soon as I said I was there at the suggestion of the 'help line' I got the 'what have the said this time' eye roll. Despite what the 'help' line and the USCIS website say, there is no interim EAD anymore, and hasn't been for some years The guy at the field office was as helpful as he could be, and told me that I could register for E-Verify on the USCIS site. Due to not being able to load the page and lack of enthusiasm, I've not done it though

Two days later the letter arrived and they asked for a copy of our marriage certificate, and both our I-94s. My husband was actually in Sweden at the time, but we had made copies the previous week for the Green Card application. So, I sent the info off by certified mail so that I would know they received the information.
They received the documents on September 22nd, and updated their website accordingly, telling me 'you will get a response with in 60 days'
Just as I was giving up on getting it before Christmas, I logged on the site on Tuesday, and it now says that they have ordered production of my card
(though it has changed from saying it was ordered on the 4th to the 8th, hmmmm).

I'm convinced that they lost my application and the extra information request was an excuse , but hey-ho, the card should be in my hand soon.
Thanks for that I know it hasn't been 90 days since I submitted my application (2nd August) I just wondered if I would be one of the lucky ones and not have to go through biometrics and have it before the 3 months?! I guess not!

I will wait another month and then I think I will have to go for an appointment too! (Our attorney did tell us to send copies of our I-94's and marriage certificate so hopefully won't get asked for it again....but if the forum is anything to go by even if they already have it doesn't mean they won't ask for it again!)

One additional question did you go for biometrics?

Last edited by MrsBriggo; Oct 8th 2010 at 9:46 pm. Reason: left something out
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, I didn't have any biometrics taken. You've still got a couple of weeks to go. Do you know which processing centre it went too? Have you been tracking your application online?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I think it went to Texas and yes check daily the status online! (I think I should stop as it gets me down!)

I am hoping that as it has been 2 months that I won't have to have biometrics as I have read on the forum that most people get the appointment within a month of applying.....but I maybe wrong!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Whoop, and the card arrived today
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Whoop, and the card arrived today
Congrats...let your job hunting begin :-)
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh it's already underway I have a phone interview on Wednesday, eep.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Oh it's already underway I have a phone interview on Wednesday, eep.
Thats great news good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you

Not sure what you do but how are you finding the process? What is the reception like when you say your on an L2?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I've not had that conversation yet, but will let you know
The interview I have is with a company that contacted me after seeing my details on Monster last week. I hadn't even finished completing my resume yet, but she had me email it over, and called back today to arrange the phone interview. (I have checked out the company by the way, and they are legitimate).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.