E3 without a degree

Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:20 am
Just Joined

hallri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E3 without a degree

Hi all,

I emmigrated to Australia a few years ago from the UK and not having a degree had to complete a Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) application. That gave me an Australian Computer Society (ACS) degree equivalent.

I'm now looking at working in the USA by obtaining an E3 visa (as I now have an Australian passport).

finally, my question (thanks for your patience , will my ACS RPL be acceptable as a degree for the E3?
or do I not even need it as I've worked in IT for 21 years.

thanks in advance,

R
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 without a degree

Originally Posted by hallri
... will my ACS RPL be acceptable as a degree for the E3?
That depends... is the ACS equal to a Bachelor's degree from an Australian university? If so, yes... if not, no.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree - if you can get someone to offer you a job, you could get an equivalency assessment by a US credentials assessment company and get it issued on the basis of your 21 years experience .. easily enough to obviate the need for a bachelor's degree.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

hallri is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ian & augigi. both useful comments.

I was hopeing that as I'd already written up my experience to get a degreee equivelent with ACS that I wouldn't have to go through it again but it looks unavoidable.

thanks

R
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you use the same as you wrote up before?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all

You can qualify for an E-3, much like the H-1B, if you have a US Bachelor's degree or its equivalent and a job offer that normally requires a degree.

You may obtain an equivalent of a US bachelor's degree based on foreign schooling, work expereince or a combination of both. There are several strategies to employ when the individual does not possess a U.S. or foreign degree. The most common is to use an aggregate of the individual's education and work experience to establish an equivalency to a U.S. Bachelor's degree.

In order to translate work experience into education, immigration uses the well-known 3 for 1 rule. This rule states that for purposes of determining equivalency to a U.S. bachelor's degree, three years of specialized training and/or work experience must be demonstrated for each year of college/university the individual lacks.

For example, if the individual possesses two years of university education, he/she must show 6 years of work experience in that industry in order to obtain an equivalency. If the individual possesses no education, he/she must show at least 12 years of work experience in the industry. It is important to note that there is no requirement for any university education in order to qualify for an E-3.

There are many education evaluation companies in the U.S. that will provide professional education evaluations for E-3 applications. They will provide an evaluation of a foreign degree, or evaluate an individual's schooling, training and/or work experience.

For some useful info on the E-3 see:

http://www.naftatnlawyer.com/display...duleId=1283155

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, Esq.
www.srwlawyers.com
[email protected]
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That depends... is the ACS equal to a Bachelor's degree from an Australian university? If so, yes... if not, no.

Ian
Actually ACS RPL assessments generally equate work experience to an Australian diploma. But the U.S. is under no obligation to accept this and it seems the OP will need to rely on the work experience route to qualify for E-3.