E3 Visa Jobs - Where are you?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 Visa Jobs - Where are you?

Originally Posted by smurtaza
May be due to this reason the buying power of USD$ is far more then AUD$.The fact is USD$ goes further than AUD$.
That's an idiotic interpretation.

Ian
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Why do you seem surprised by that fact?
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:34 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: E3 Visa Jobs - Where are you?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I know it sounds idiotic but its a fact that USD$ have more buying power then AUD$.To calculate buying power,we take into consideration the income per capita,with PPP,not the GDP or GNP...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
I know it sounds idiotic...
Well... I guess I can toss that MBA in Economics out the window since, according to you, nothing that I've learned about is true!

I truly feel sorry for you! Someone once said that it's better to let someone think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it... but you prove it every time you say something. Sadly, while ignorance can be cured, idiocy is permanent.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:30 am
Banned

e3visa is an unknown quantity at this point

Well let's get back on topic since the guy is trying to find potential employers.

Look I won't lie and say it is easy or even fun at times...but if you are determined you will get it.

Focus on your niche and just own that space as far as applying to positions are concerned in your chosen city.

By far and away LinkedIn, Monster and Craigslist were the best resources for positions.

You will almost certainly have to do in person interviews so be prepared to make that sacrifice.

Good Luck!
CJ
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3visa
Well let's get back on topic since the guy is trying to find potential employers.

Look I won't lie and say it is easy or even fun at times...but if you are determined you will get it.

Focus on your niche and just own that space as far as applying to positions are concerned in your chosen city.

By far and away LinkedIn, Monster and Craigslist were the best resources for positions.

You will almost certainly have to do in person interviews so be prepared to make that sacrifice.

Good Luck!
CJ
All this only if they have any jobs. There are thousands on the street looking for jobs. These are
citizens btw....lots of lost jobs..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:19 pm
Banned

e3visa is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right....it is far tougher now for all, citizens and foreigners alike to find a position in the US.
However while I know plenty who have lost their jobs, I know plenty who have found positions after being laid off in 2008 (including visa holders).
So they are there, just have to work harder.

Look it may not be the best time to work in the US, but on the other hand it is like this all over the world. As the US was first into this recession, it will probably be the first out and lead the world (Australia 2009 be similar to US 2008).

There are some niches that aren't great like Finance but a lot of people have stopped even trying there so maybe your competition will be lower. Focus on cities other than NY if this is your target.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

I agree - like most things in life, it takes perserverance and hard work, and of course, some luck - however the jobs are out there, albeit they are more difficult to find during a recession.

Finding permanent employment in the US on an E3 visa is of course do-able - I did it myself and am currently in the US employed full-time permanent (of course, the definition of permanent is skewed due to the non-immigrant intent of the E3) - but there are still avenues open to more permanent employment on the E3 - for example, my employer's lawyers have begun the process to (hopefully) get me through the H1-B lottery this year for eventual sponsorship to a green-card.

As others have pointed out, and as I learnt, you really have no chance at all of finding a job here unless you come over on the VWP and get yourself in front of employers. What I did, and it may help you, is to prepare as best you can before flying over - that is. apply for jobs on the usual sites, get on the phone, submit applications through company HR websites etc - attempt to get some interviews lined up prior to your arrival. And be sure (through either your cover letter, or when speaking over the phone) to describe the E3 visa to the employer, and its benefits. Play up its relative ease in obtaining, in comparison to the H1B, its low cost, and ability to begin at any time etc etc. In short - come up with a well-thought out plan and work to it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

PeggyOlson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pavan1981
Do you know of any US recruiting agencies who specialize with expats in general or more specifically Australians and the E3 visa?

Hi Pavan

Here are a couple of tips, and I speak from my own experience:

1. Read up on the E3 and what you need to quality - degree and type of work. Professional jobs: good. Marketing Manager with Marketing Degree: good. Basket Weaver with Marketing Degree: Bad.

2. For your job search, first and foremost focus on selling your skills and what is it you can do for the employer. Get them interested in YOU.

3. Some employers will ask upfront if you need sponsorship. Some employers will tell you upfront that they do not sponsor. However I was pleasantly surprised to find that many do not ask upfront, and many are willing to sponsor. With my last employer, when they began talking about a job offer, I said "oh by the way...I require sponsorship" and they said "That's fine, we'll find a way to get you on board".

4. Have your E3 elevator pitch down pat so that if you are asked, you can demystify it. Assume that most HR or Hiring Managers will not know anything about E3.

I said something along the lines of: it's a visa that enables me to work in a professional occupation, it's similar to the Canadian TN status, it's valid for 2 years and renewable indefinitely. Then I said that it's a very quick process and can be issued in as little as 2 weeks from acceptance of job offer.

5. With regards to recruiters or consultants that specialize in expats - just be wary of anyone that wants to charge you $ for acting as an agent. Of course recruiters do have established relationships with industry contacts but they should not charge you for doing their job as a recruiter.

6. Yes the economy stinks right now, the job market is a lot more competitive. The same challenges for expats to land a job here will still apply even when the economy is healthier. If you decide to come over on VWP then there is always a chance that you many not be land any job offers.

Good luck

Peggy.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

PeggyOlson is an unknown quantity at this point

Pavan

One more thing.....

It may help to target international companies who have a US office.

My rationale here is that they probably already have experience with international transfers, sending US folks on overseas business travel etc so the idea of sponsorship is less scary.

Good luck!!!

Peggy