Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E3 Visa first time - can you only apply for it in Australia?

E3 Visa first time - can you only apply for it in Australia?

Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

sydtom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E3 Visa first time - can you only apply for it in Australia?

On the Canberra embassy E3 FAQs there is this note:

"All visa applicants must appear at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad [outside US] to apply, and first time E3 visa applicants will need to apply in Australia."

Is this correct? It seems that everything I'm reading says that you can apply at any consulate/embassy outside the US, regardless of it being your first time or not.

Have any first-timers been able to apply for their E3 in another country, say Canada. I'm hoping to search for a job and then travel somewhere nearby to apply for an E3 for the first time.

Last edited by sydtom; Feb 10th 2013 at 8:28 am.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 Visa first time - can you only apply for it in Australia?

Originally Posted by sydtom
It seems that everything I'm reading says that you can apply at any consulate/embassy outside the US, regardless of it being your first time or not.
I believe this is correct. You need to know, however, that no US Consulate outside Australia is obligated to process a "third party national" application.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe this is correct. You need to know, however, that no US Consulate outside Australia is obligated to process a "third party national" application.
Sorry, just to clarify, you believe it's correct that first-timers can apply at any consulate, or the note on the Canberra site is correct - that first timers have to apply in Australia?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, just to clarify, you believe it's correct that first-timers can apply at any consulate, or the note on the Canberra site is correct - that first timers have to apply in Australia?
Which part of your post did I quote in my response?

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

In your experience Ian being an active member of this forum, have you heard of many first-time E3 applicants having trouble in Canada/Bermuda?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

... have you heard of many first-time E3 applicants having trouble in Canada/Bermuda?
I have not, no. Generally, the adjacent Consulates are accommodating... but they don't have to be. As long as you're prepared to return to Oz for processing if it doesn't work out for some reason, there's really nothing to lose!

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:06 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

You can technically apply at any U.S. consulate for your first E-3. However, if you're applying in a country in which you are not currently residing, the consulate may instruct you to go back and apply in the country that you're living in. With that said, it's my general feeling that people have had no problem applying in Canada for their first E-3 even though they're not living there. You may also want to look into the visa appointment waiting time in Canada...the U.S. consulates in Canada tend to have long waiting time for non-Canadian residents.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my new E3 (different position from my previous ones, but same employer) in Toronto. They didn't ask many questions and didn't look at any paperwork except the LCA. There were various other people I spoke to at the Consulate who were applying for new E3s.