e3 renewal question

Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default e3 renewal question

Hi all,

Here are the facts

Currently on E-3 Visa
LCA expires around mid May 2012
I-94 expires last week of May 2012

Filed for renewal
LCA expires mid May 2014
All relevant forms sent to USCIS by attorney

Question - I am told, if before the expiry of my I-94 I don't hear back, I get 'automatic' extension of 280 days based on timely filing of the e-3 extension.

I just wanted to confirm
- not that I don't trust the HR here, just wanted to make sure the 280 days extension applies?
- if I do not hear back from USCIS, how do I renew by driving license? It's set to expire the same day as my current I94
- same question on wife's EAD

Thanks,

Last edited by E3only; Mar 20th 2012 at 8:20 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: e3 renewal question

Anyone?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guys, can anyone please help answer this?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Amanda Goodman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There:

It is my understand that unlike the H-1B, there is no automatic extension of employment authorization when a timely filed application for E-3 status is filed. Furthermore, USCIS currently does not accept applications for Premium Processing for E-3 extensions of stay. It is also my understanding that if the E-3 status expires while the USCIS petition is still pending, the E-3must stop work until the extension has been approved. Perhaps your HR department is handling the extension differently?

<< contact info snipped >>

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 29th 2012 at 12:58 am. Reason: Amanda, you may put a link to your company in your signature line only. See site rules #9 and #20.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Automatic extension is what the attorney informed HR.

Is there specific material that categorically excludes E3 from auto extensions?

I have I94 until end of May so I hope it all works fine !!What is your source

Originally Posted by Amanda Goodman
Hi There:

It is my understand that unlike the H-1B, there is no automatic extension of employment authorization when a timely filed application for E-3 status is filed. Furthermore, USCIS currently does not accept applications for Premium Processing for E-3 extensions of stay. It is also my understanding that if the E-3 status expires while the USCIS petition is still pending, the E-3must stop work until the extension has been approved. Perhaps your HR department is handling the extension differently?

<< contact info snipped >>
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:41 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

I also think I read something about E-3 not being eligible for automatic extension in the scenario you described, but I don't have a source. I would suggest you to assume that you're NOT eligible for automatic extension, unless you hear from a reputable source otherwise.

Also, my understanding is that the approved LCA is linked to your E-3 visa, so when the LCA expires, you can't work even if your I-94 expires later

As for Driver's License extension, it'll be a very tricky issue, because without a new I-94 with a longer expiration date, DMV is unlikely to issue you a new one. Considering most of the staff there have limited understanding of immigration laws, showing anything besides a new I-94 won't convince them to renew your DL. In Connecticut, DL is issued with the set expiration date regardless of whether you're a PR/citizen or on non-immigrant visa. Not sure what state you live in, but will it be possible for you to get a DL in a different state instead?