E3 marrying American Citizen

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

PHook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E3 marrying American Citizen

Hello everyone,

I am on an E3 visa and getting married to a US Citizen. We have been thinking as to whether to get "legally" married in the US or Australia. I thought that it would make things easier (with green card application process) if we were to do it here. Does any one have any suggestions? We also eventually want to gain permanent residency for my fiance to Australia, but not for a few years.

Also - what is the right path to applying for a green card being on an E3?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 marrying American Citizen

Originally Posted by PHook
Hello everyone,

I am on an E3 visa and getting married to a US Citizen. We have been thinking as to whether to get "legally" married in the US or Australia. I thought that it would make things easier (with green card application process) if we were to do it here. Does any one have any suggestions? We also eventually want to gain permanent residency for my fiance to Australia, but not for a few years.

Also - what is the right path to applying for a green card being on an E3?

Thanks in advance!
I believe if you marry outside the USA, you won't then be able to return to the USA and adjust your status, you'd then have to do a spouse immigrant visa. I'm not sure if E-3 is dual intent.

If you get married while you're here in the USA, you can apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident after marriage.

If you leave the USA before you become a USC (as in moving to Australia to pursue her permanent residency for your fiance, you run the risk of abandoning your US PR status. Best bet is to become a USC first, then plan the next move and next pursuit of PR status.

If you mean the right method for applying for green card based on marriage to a USC, you will need to file an AOS package after you get married in the USA. Package consists of I-130, I-485, G-325A's, I-864, I-765 and I-131. Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms to have a look at them, and the instructions for filing.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 8th 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

PHook is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene,

Thank you SO much for your reply! The info on the relevant forms is very informative! Seems like the way to go is for us to get married here, go through the GC process, then worry about the Aus PR process later.

Wish us luck!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe if you marry outside the USA, you won't then be able to return to the USA and adjust your status, you'd then have to do a spouse immigrant visa. I'm not sure if E-3 is dual intent.

If you get married while you're here in the USA, you can apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident after marriage.

If you leave the USA before you become a USC (as in moving to Australia to pursue her permanent residency for your fiance, you run the risk of abandoning your US PR status. Best bet is to become a USC first, then plan the next move and next pursuit of PR status.

If you mean the right method for applying for green card based on marriage to a USC, you will need to file an AOS package after you get married in the USA. Package consists of I-130, I-485, G-325A's, I-864, I-765 and I-131. Go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms to have a look at them, and the instructions for filing.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHook
Rene,

Thank you SO much for your reply! The info on the relevant forms is very informative! Seems like the way to go is for us to get married here, go through the GC process, then worry about the Aus PR process later.

Wish us luck!
Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

The E visas are a grey area regarding dual intent - it's not formally allowed in the way it is on H and L visas, but at the same time there is no specific foreign residence requirement (at least not on E-3).

That said, I would usually think that marriage in the U.S. and filing for AOS is probably the best option.

As far as I know, he would need Advance Parole in order to travel and re-enter the U.S. if he is in E status. He can also apply for an Employment Authorization Document (again, afaik) once he has filed for AOS.

Regarding getting Australian visa for fiance, Australian citizens can normally sponsor spouses to live in Australia without needing to live in Australia. But the (Australian) tax and health insurance consequences of spouse holding a valid residence visa would need to be thought through.