E2 Visa and employing US citizens

Old May 30th 2015, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

ageofpatels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Visa and employing US citizens

Good day to all expat.

I have read through all the threads regarding E2 Visa, but i did not find one at meets my pressing issue.

I have found a business for sale located in Greensboro NC a gas station,
I have a lawyer working my E2 application; I have met his entire requirement.
1) Investment amount
2) Net Profit.
3) Number of employees. Etc.

All I have read online the business must employ 1 full time or 2 part time US employees. No mention of how much they get paid!!!

Now my lawyer emails me and states payroll salary must be a min of $40k combined.
Currently 2-part timers $1500 monthly cost.

I have spoken to other lawyers each say different things on this matter.

I want to know other peoples experience on this matter.
thank you
Old May 30th 2015, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa and employing US citizens

Originally Posted by ageofpatels
Now my lawyer emails me and states payroll salary must be a min of $40k combined.
Currently 2-part timers $1500 monthly cost.
It sounds as though you'll need to raise their salary by $167 per month each. It'll be a win/win situation for all of you... they get paid more, and you meet the E2 requirements - assuming, of course, that your attorney is correct.

Ian
Old May 30th 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank Ian,

other lawyers that i have spoken to some say there is no min salary, other say need min 2 full time employees, seems like a grey area, i want to know what others did or have when they applyed for the visa,
seriously considing a status change
Old May 30th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General comment: the only minimum "requirements" for an E-2 classification is a "substantial" and "non-marginal" investment in a US enterprise, UK nationality, and unique to UK "E" classification is to be "resident in Europe" [language from the 1815 treaty]. Also, on the type of investment, it cannot be solely for the purpose of making a living for the investor.

Past that, it can become quite subjective and based upon what works. OP has asked for experience from posters here. That said, I would wager the legal advice obtained by OP has the same basis -- experience of the lawyer and of her colleagues. The bottom line is whatever works.
Old May 30th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

maemaesmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest speaking to a different attorney. We employ 3 full time and did not have to pay a minimum salary
Old May 30th 2015, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More interestingly how can you run a gas station with just 2 part timers.
Old May 30th 2015, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

the open hours a m-f 7.30am to 10 pm sat-sun9-9
run by 2 part times + owner ft
Old May 30th 2015, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

That I can see being a problem, sounds like you are buying a job not an investment
Old May 30th 2015, 5:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you plan to be in the USA, but around here gas stations are mostly open 24/7, self-service, with a small mini-mart.

Rene
Old May 30th 2015, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

North Carolina

Begs the question have you considered Tornado's?
Old May 30th 2015, 7:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth can two part-timers and one full-timer work all those hours? If the two part-timers add up to one full-time employee, that is still a lot for two people to do. Could the problem be that, for the hours the employees put in, they are not getting minimum wage?
Old May 30th 2015, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

The owners basically works the business and have a couple of part timers to come in and help at busy times or give them a break.
Old May 30th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

will the employees work 40 hours combined, owner and is wife work the rest,
they get $9 ph.
what i want to find out is from other E2 people what did they show for there employees
Old May 30th 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
That I can see being a problem, sounds like you are buying a job not an investment
all E2 visa are jobs in one way or the other, cant sit on your butt and watch EastEnders all day on BBC iplayer
Old May 30th 2015, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

What are your plans to expand employment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.