E2 Visa

Old May 11th 2014, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

AjMed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Visa

My wife and I (I'm British, she's Spanish) are applying for an E2 visa. We have a US Lawyer and US Business Plan company helping us.

We are investing $140,000 into a franchise (printing). The store we are buying is currently running and wants to sell (Florida).

Our brother-in-law (American) has been running his own franchise (same business) for over a year and is doing very well out of it.

My question is: what more could we do to make sure we don't get rejected by immigration? And does anyone know how likely getting rejected is for an E2?

Thanks.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Visa

Your question is way too general. There is always a risk of being denied. BTW, a "visa" is issued by a U.S. Consulate outside of the United States. "Immigration" refers to the stateside people in general usage [now "USCIS" within the Department of Homeland Security. Although it was abolished 11 years ago, one will still see reference to "INS."] If you do not trust your lawyer, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AjMed
..... We are investing $140,000 into a franchise (printing). ......
You're lucky to find such a great investment opportunity in a growth business segment.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 11th 2014 at 2:24 pm.
Old May 11th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
If you do not trust your lawyer, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
I do trust my lawyer, I just wondered if anyone here had been through a similar situation.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Two things:

What is a business plan company? Sounds dodgy.

Make sure the person selling the business also sells you the client list and has a serious no compete clause. You did that already right?
Old May 11th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Two things:

What is a business plan company? Sounds dodgy.

Make sure the person selling the business also sells you the client list and has a serious no compete clause. You did that already right?
We have a company developing the business plan with us - they have experience with the E2 Visa. We provide the information and they put it together for us which we then pass onto our lawyers.

We will also be getting the client list and don't need a compete cause because they're selling the franchise to us. They won't be able to open a franchise near us and wouldn't want to. The store is actually still running and will continue to do so after we buy it. Our lawyers told us that we're more likely to get the E2 buying an existing business rather than starting a new franchise.

My wife will own the franchise and I'll be free to get an EAD.
Old May 11th 2014, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying that we've seen it before. Seller says they're done then mysteriously opens a new business and all their former clients suddenly follow.
Old May 11th 2014, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying that we've seen it before. Seller says they're done then mysteriously opens a new business and all their former clients suddenly follow.
Yup!

Ian
Old May 11th 2014, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sell the franchise, open a non-franchise business nearby thereby saving the franchise fee, and keep most of the clients. Sounds like a good business strategy to me.