E2 visa

Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Mariaslk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa

Would buying a small existing business for around 50,000 qualify for the E2 if I employed 1 or 2 employees.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa

Originally Posted by Mariaslk
Would buying a small existing business for around 50,000 qualify for the E2 if I employed 1 or 2 employees.
Unlikely through the London consulate .. but it can depend on
the business plan..the normal unofficial recommendation minimum is
around $150k-$200k
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:18 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Would a house with 900 acres? If I was to farm it or set up a horse boarding facility?

Cost of house and land is 500K
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Would a house with 900 acres? If I was to farm it or set up a horse boarding facility?

Cost of house and land is 500K
Why would you want an E-2 if you spending that amount
thats not a business thats a home ....
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Why would you want an E-2 if you spending that amount
thats not a business thats a home ....
Because
1) I need to be able to live and work there
2) It would be a business AND a home yes. But if I just wanted a home I could spend a little less
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:22 pm
Ray

Because
1) I need to be able to live and work there
2) It would be a business AND a home yes. But if I just wanted a home I could spend a little less
Well the home side ..would have to be removed from the equation ...

And you would need a very good business plan if it was a start up
with no employees ...
I presume you know the pitfulls of the E-2..
have you considered a EB-5 instead and at least get a green card..
if your spending that much ..

read the faq here about E-2
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Well the home side ..would have to be removed from the equation ...

And you would need a very good business plan if it was a start up
with no employees ...
I presume you know the pitfulls of the E-2..
have you considered a EB-5 instead and at least get a green card..
if your spending that much ..

read the faq here about E-2
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Thanks for that Ray,
I was aware of some of the pitfalls to the E-2, EB-5 however would require a much bigger investment (than the 6-700000 total I was looking at) wouldnt it? Especially were I'm looking (around Denver\Colorado Springs)?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:05 pm
Ray

Thanks for that Ray,
I was aware of some of the pitfalls to the E-2, EB-5 however would require a much bigger investment (than the 6-700000 total I was looking at) wouldnt it? Especially were I'm looking (around Denver\Colorado Springs)?
Remember there are two types of EB-5
the one where you invest a million plus and employ 10 people

And the other one where you invest a minium of $500k in a
Regional Centers... say you liked to invest in beef/milk
http://www.sdeb5.com/ then you invest you money there
you get a green card .. you buy your house and get any job you like ...
does not have be anywhere near there

Worth researching ....
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Remember there are two types of EB-5
the one where you invest a million plus and employ 10 people

And the other one where you invest a minium of $500k in a
Regional Centers... say you liked to invest in beef/milk
http://www.sdeb5.com/ then you invest you money there
you get a green card .. you buy your house and get any job you like ...
does not have be anywhere near there

Worth researching ....
Ray:

True -- there are two levels of investment: $1,000,000 and $500,000. This is dependent upon the geographical location of the investment -- the lower amount being for high-unemployment or rural areas.

Both levels require the creation of 10 new jobs -- unless, investment is in a "distressed" business [which then requires saving 10 existing jobs] or by investing in a "regional center" which will indirectly creates the 10 new jobs.

As written, your post is a tad confusing and perhaps a tad wrong.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Ray:

True -- there are two levels of investment: $1,000,000 and $500,000. This is dependent upon the geographical location of the investment -- the lower amount being for high-unemployment or rural areas.

Both levels require the creation of 10 new jobs -- unless, investment is in a "distressed" business [which then requires saving 10 existing jobs] or by investing in a "regional center" which will indirectly creates the 10 new jobs.

OK, so now I am confused. Does my investment have to create 10 new jobs regardless of where I invest?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:07 am
Account Closed

OK, so now I am confused. Does my investment have to create 10 new jobs regardless of where I invest?
Hi:

The essence of the EB-5 visa is for job creation. There are exceptions. The law is somewhat complicated -- Ray is actually pretty good in keeping up on these things. I sometimes get the feeling that his approach is from seeing what happens and extrapolating from that. You might call it "reverse engineering." As a lawyer, I start out with the law, and go from there. In the best of possible worlds -- we should arrive at the same results -- but that is not always so.

[BTW, I see some lawyers doing such "reverse engineering" without starting from the basics. I'm dealing with something in a different area where this has resulted in the existence of "legal legend" of 22 years standing]
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:40 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Ray:

Thats why I add the rider about doing more research yourself
it a very compicated procedure for a few lines

An Interesting quote

"I would also like to point out that a non-immigrant (E2) visa is not a good option for someone who intends to reside permanently in the United States. If the investor retires or sells their investment, his or her visa status lapses and he or she must leave the US. Only single dependent children under 21 are eligible for visas to accompany their investor parent, and when these children turn 21 they lose their status as a dependent and their visa. The more secure option for those that have the necessary capital is the permanent resident (green card EB5) investor visa. In this case the required investment is one million dollars, or under certain circumstances $500,000." John Caulfield, Consul General, US Embassy London.

I will add there are plenty of sharks out there willing to assist
people wanting a cut of the pie ..with the EB-5
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats why I add the rider about doing more research yourself
it a very compicated procedure for a few lines

An Interesting quote

"I would also like to point out that a non-immigrant (E2) visa is not a good option for someone who intends to reside permanently in the United States. If the investor retires or sells their investment, his or her visa status lapses and he or she must leave the US. Only single dependent children under 21 are eligible for visas to accompany their investor parent, and when these children turn 21 they lose their status as a dependent and their visa. The more secure option for those that have the necessary capital is the permanent resident (green card EB5) investor visa. In this case the required investment is one million dollars, or under certain circumstances $500,000." John Caulfield, Consul General, US Embassy London.

I will add there are plenty of sharks out there willing to assist
people wanting a cut of the pie ..with the EB-5
Hi:

I don't disagree. The appropriate visa depends upon what the individual WANTS to do combined with abilities and other facts. The EB-5 and the E-2 visas are both "investor" visas, but they are quite different.

Like any investment, one should do their due diligence and make an informed decision.

I recall one case in my old firm where the investor was the wife of a well-to-do business man in a country with strict currency controls. The couple had no intention of obtaining LPR status. The E-2 allowed the lawful transfer of a large sum of money to the US which was invested in an existing business which was a cash cow. The income met the marginality test because they did not need any of it to live on. The wife "directed" the business simply by reviewing the work of the managers and making sure the place continued to make money. This is an example of an E-2 fitting the bill perfectly.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You will not get 900 acres for that amount of money anyway.

Move the Decimal point along.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:50 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Boiler
You will not get 900 acres for that amount of money anyway.

Move the Decimal point along.
And I aint cutting all that grass ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.