E2 spouse - EAD or SSN first?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default E2 spouse - EAD or SSN first?

Some friends of ours just arrived on their E2 visas. He's the principal and she's the derivative (dependent?). He's already started working and got his SSN no problem. She went to try to get her SSN last week and they told her she needed either an EAD or marriage certificate in order to get an SSN.

The problem is that they don't have their marriage certificate handy. I asked them why don't they send in the EAD application and they said she needed an SSN first. Is that true? Does an E2 spouse need an SSN before applying for an EAD? Are they in a Catch-22 situation?

Thanks.
- Eric S.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 spouse - EAD or SSN first?

No, she would not need a SSN before applying for the EAD.

She might or might not need the EAD to apply for the SSN....not sure if a dependent E2 does or not.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse of principal E-2

When an EAD card is issued in these situations to an E-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-17” under Category and the I-688B shows “274a.12 (A)(17)” under Provision of Law.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he/she is spouse of the principal E-2 alien

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

You can gt the EAD first without the SSN for a mere $340 ish
and up to a 90 day wait

get the marriage cert if poss
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

snkpkp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Spouse of principal E-2

When an EAD card is issued in these situations to an E-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-17” under Category and the I-688B shows “274a.12 (A)(17)” under Provision of Law.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he/she is spouse of the principal E-2 alien

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

You can gt the EAD first without the SSN for a mere $340 ish
and up to a 90 day wait

get the marriage cert if poss
can the princeple EB2 applicant get a EAD to work elsewhere other than his / her business?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snkpkp
can the princeple EB2 applicant get a EAD to work elsewhere other than his / her business?
You mean E-2 ..and no of course not ...would defeat the idea
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:12 am
Just Joined

snkpkp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
You mean E-2 ..and no of course not ...would defeat the idea
but EB5 lets you work along with investing in a business?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:05 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by snkpkp
but EB5 lets you work along with investing in a business?
Mercedes and Trabants ..are both cars
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

90 day wait.... in your dreams buddy!
My husband applied middle of May and STILL hasn't received his EAD. In fact he just got an email saying it could now take another 90 days until he gets his interview! Applied in May and won't get it until probably February next year, I mean how does that work?

Aren't they issued for a year or for the duration of my E2 which means he has lost 9 months of the year in which he could have worked. If they are only issued for a year, then it will only have 2 or 3 freaking months left on it before he has to re-apply.

Oh and he can't apply for his SSN until he has his EAD. So he can't renew his driving license which he got on just his passport when we were here on vacation before the E2 got issued, but now they want a SSN for renewal.

This whole situation is VERY frustrating.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:06 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Bitzi
90 day wait.... in your dreams buddy!
My husband applied middle of May and STILL hasn't received his EAD. In fact he just got an email saying it could now take another 90 days until he gets his interview! Applied in May and won't get it until probably February next year, I mean how does that work?

Aren't they issued for a year or for the duration of my E2 which means he has lost 9 months of the year in which he could have worked. If they are only issued for a year, then it will only have 2 or 3 freaking months left on it before he has to re-apply.

Oh and he can't apply for his SSN until he has his EAD. So he can't renew his driving license which he got on just his passport when we were here on vacation before the E2 got issued, but now they want a SSN for renewal.

This whole situation is VERY frustrating.
I think I would be down the USCIS demanding an explanation
make a infopass appointment
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I think I would be down the USCIS demanding an explanation
make a infopass appointment
There is certainly more to it.. It's most unusual; I wonder about the circumstances.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Thanks I'll make that appointment today.
Also he was in the British Army so had to declare his weapons training on the original E2 application albeit 30 years ago.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:17 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Thanks I'll make that appointment today.
Also he was in the British Army so had to declare his weapons training on the original E2 application albeit 30 years ago.
A non issue ...