E2 Marriage

Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Marriage

An "E" Visa allows the spouse to accompany or to join the principal alien in the same visa status. I understand the process for this.

If the principal alien marries the day after being issued the visa and the spouse applies for the visa the following day could this cause a problem?

Would it be better to time gaps between principal visa and marriage and marriage and spouse application?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Marriage

Originally Posted by E2Brutus
If the principal alien marries the day after being issued the visa and the spouse applies for the visa the following day could this cause a problem?
No.

Would it be better to time gaps between principal visa and marriage and marriage and spouse application?
Eligibility for a derivative visa is based on marriage. It doesn't matter when the marriage occurs or how soon after marriage the derivative visa is applied for. Once you're eligible, you're eligible.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian.

I would like to get married in August so that we have time to plan and invite people and then have my fiance added to my visa.

However, I would also like her to be with me from the start of the year and this is problematic since my fiance spent 7 months in the US on three VWP trips last year and I don't think she will get in again on VWP.

So the only solution I can think of is a paper wedding in January followed by the real deal in August.

I was thinking she could apply for a B Visa in January and explain that she is going to marry an E Visa holder in August and leave the US to register it at a consulate, but I think that is impossible as you cant get a B Visa if you have an intent to change visa status.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No.

Eligibility for a derivative visa is based on marriage. It doesn't matter when the marriage occurs or how soon after marriage the derivative visa is applied for. Once you're eligible, you're eligible.

Ian
But if you marry a US citizen to get green card status it seems it is far more rigorous a check, and it can be denied. I guess this is the difference between visa and citizenship.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... and then have my fiance added to my visa.
Well, your wife... but correct.

I don't think she will get in again on VWP.
I agree.

So the only solution I can think of is a paper wedding in January followed by the real deal in August.
That works... as long as you understand that the "paper wedding" is the real one and the one in August isn't.

I was thinking she could apply for a B Visa in January and explain that she is going to marry an E Visa holder in August...
Yah... bad idea!

... and leave the US to register it at a consulate, but I think that is impossible as you cant get a B Visa if you have an intent to change visa status.
Bad idea overall. If you want her to be with you from the start, get married ASAP and have her apply for a derivative visa.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

But if you marry a US citizen to get green card status it seems it is far more rigorous a check, and it can be denied.
Yes, a GC can be denied... so can a visa - but a GC is not a "derivative" status.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But if you marry a US citizen to get green card status it seems it is far more rigorous a check, and it can be denied. I guess this is the difference between visa and citizenship.
No, more like it is the difference between a permanent resident/immigrant and a temporary non-immigrant derivative. Your E-2 dependent is literally dependent on your job (or business) and when it goes away, so does she.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, more like it is the difference between a permanent resident/immigrant and a temporary non-immigrant derivative. Your E-2 dependent is literally dependent on your job (or business) and when it goes away, so does she.
Ouch
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Any me too! Yep, I get your point. That makes me feel more relaxed about the way they view it. I was just thinking that will Green Cards they get the couple to come in for interviews and test that they are really married etc. - I'd be happy if they did that for E2 and just wondered why they didn't. Now I have a better idea.