Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 - IT Consulting business - Please guide..

E2 - IT Consulting business - Please guide..

Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

GeorgeSpark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 - IT Consulting business - Please guide..

Originally Posted by civilservant
The E2 will have to be renewed every few years, and USCIS is notoriously picky about those renewals - unless you can prove you are gainfully employing USCs and the business is more than subsistence it seems they are routinely denied. Not advice specifically, but something to bear in mind.

Good luck.
Point noted. Thanks. I really want to put full effort to go big or go home. I hope in 2 years, I should have at least 4 full-time USCs on my payroll.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeSpark
Hi,
Thanks for the response. My understanding is that it is the same case for H1B or L1 visa too - children age out and have to leave the country at age 21. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The plan is at the age of 21 my children would be in university hence easy to switch them to F1. After graduation (at least M.S), recruit them in my company as E2 employee or they have the option to go for H1B with another company. If they like to move to any other country I don't mind too. How does that sound?
On the H and L visas, the parents' objective is always to shift to a green card asap, thus securing the future for all the family. The E visa does not offer that option; Yes, the child can remain in the country on the F as long as they are in college. However, upon graduation they have to leave. Employing them yourself would be a stretch and I have't heard of it being done (and surely, if it was possible, we would have heard on the forum) -- the objective of the visa is to offer employment to Americans, and not having done so could be cause for non-renewal. This can't be a subsistence business for your family. If the children would "like to move to any other country"? They wouldn't have any option but to do so, even if they had spent the majority of their lives in the US!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I recently found this incredibly useful site. Read loads of useful info. Now I am looking for some guidance on few specifics.
Quick info about me.
  • I run a UK limited company (IT consultancy business) past 20 years – through which I freelance.
  • Have an M.Sci with a postgraduate diploma in business management
  • British citizen. I don't have any other nationality.
Objective: To migrate to the US with family - mainly for personal and professional reasons. I understand that there is no direct path to a permanent residence from E2 but there is a hope that in 5 to 10 years time my business could grow to enable me for EB5 with 10+ employees.

Constraints:
  • At the moment, I can't afford $500K to go through EB5.
  • No multinational employers to get me L1 (all these years worked as a freelancer)
  • No US employers to sponsor me H1-B or the EB-1/2 directly (extremely difficult to get it even a response!!)
Basically, I am on my own with IT, management and consultancy business skills but they are in high demand in the US, fortunately.
Just about to do the following for E2 vias preparation.
  • Register an LLC company in the US focusing on IT Consulting services
  • Applying for ITIN for US tax
  • Once ITIN and LLC registration complete, I will apply for a business bank account in the US
  • Invest money into the business account to start the IT consulting business. (one of the problems for E2 - a large initial amount is not required for consultancy business - I plan to recruit US freshers and train them in my domain and send them out as my employees to various business for fixed-price contracts)
Please share your thoughts on the following, any help in guiding me is much appreciated.
  • Am I making any fundamental mistake with the idea of E2 given my background, constraints and goal?
  • Could you please recommend an immigration attorney/lawyer? Do they need to be UK based, just to address the local US embassy nuances? or US-based lawyers can do?
  • Did anyone try such E2 IT or other consulting business? please share your experience
  • Various sites suggest that for consulting business less than $70K is good enough provided we present a solid business plan and growth strategy. Is that true?
  • One of the big issues I face is that how do I prove a significant amount is irreversibly locked in the US? For a consulting business, a bunch of laptops, website and business stationaries and a small office room rental lease is not crossing even $20K :-(
Thank you for your time and valuable response.
I would recommend GHK in London. They have been excellent with our E2s and are dedicated to US immigration matters. I will PM you a name to ask for and my name to use as a referral.

You've largely got everything correct but you are at risk of falling foul of the 2 biggest hurdles with E2 visas.

Firstly, it cannot be a subsistence business. Appreciable growth needs to be forecast in a reasonable and justified manner in the business plan that you present as part of your case. Hopefully your market knowledge can sustain this need. Bear in mind, the consular officers that deal with E-2s must have business degrees for this very reason. They will understand your proposal, therefore it needs to be solid.

Secondly, your investment. I have heard of $50k being acceptable for a consulting business, but of course you still have to somehow spend that. The way to look at it is purchasing something that is never going to yield you interest or anything meaningful back should you decide to pull out. A commercial property lease is by far the easiest way to achieve this. You could also consider hiring an employee straight off the bat (in your case, sales is probably the most obvious). I think it's likely that you won't get more than 2 years on your first visa, given your commercial plans are naturally constrained by their very nature.

The problem with the $50k is that the immigration climate seems to be quite hot and bothered right now, and it's possible that E-2 applications need to be more rock solid than ever. We are seeing an increase in other visas getting more heavily scrutinized with the current government administration, and it's totally plausible to consider that you might fall foul of that too.

The attorney I'm referring you to will be able to counsel better than anyone else on here for this more borderline E-2 case. Ultimately, you're taking a bit of a risk with your application in my opinion, just because point 1 and 2 are naturally constrained by concept of consulting as a whole. Just be sure you understand and recognise that.

Otherwise, all of your understandings are correct to my knowledge, and you've come in here more informed than most, when it comes to getting an E-2. A lot of people will tell you they are the visa from hell because it's so difficult to transition to a greencard. Ultimately they work for quite a number of us.

Last edited by shiversaint; Aug 17th 2018 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 3:51 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Jack8602,
Are you from Dallas/FW area? It is one my target area for setting up the business other than NY and CA.
Please advise if there is good demand there in my domain. How is the Bigdata, Data Science market there?
Did you use E2 route or usual H1-B/L1 route?
Thanks.
Yep, I'm in between both cities.

The market here for anything IT is huge and demand keeps increasing. If you go down to Austin or Houston, even more so.

I moved on an L1
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all Businesses are suitable for an E2

You would be effectively a Manager

Would not surprise me that with a 4 person office your investment would be higher than you expect and I assume the wageroll for those positions would not be insignificant.

I would anticipate a lot will depend on the specifics of your business plan and meeting those goals.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would not surprise me that with a 4 person office your investment would be higher than you expect and I assume the wageroll for those positions would not be insignificant.
Speculative hiring costs don't qualify as part of the initial investment though, do they? It has to be an irrevocable commitment and given you can hire and fire with impunity here, it's almost certainly too easy to get out of. It would be useful for the business projections, however.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Speculative hiring costs don't qualify as part of the initial investment though, do they? It has to be an irrevocable commitment and given you can hire and fire with impunity here, it's almost certainly too easy to get out of. It would be useful for the business projections, however.
That was not focussed on the visa aspect.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi shiversaint,
Thank you so much. I sent a PM note to you and will contact GHK London.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Yep, I'm in between both cities.

The market here for anything IT is huge and demand keeps increasing. If you go down to Austin or Houston, even more so.

I moved on an L1
Thanks Jack8602. Do you know if any Banking/Financial sector employers in Dallas/FW direct hiring contractors? Or as usual, we need to go via PS (preferred supplier) agencies?
(In London, we have to always go via few layers of agencies especially with biggies..)
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Moreover, my plan is to hire 4+ people over 2 years but not immediately - so, I can't put that as an irrevocable investment now. Same with training budget but I can get some money locked with training providers with visa approval clause. What say you?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not all Businesses are suitable for an E2
You would be effectively a Manager
As a principal consultant with management responsibility of the overall business. Would that hurt the visa process?

If so, I can switch the gear. Eg. My wife is my UK company secretary and running all admin work past 18 years (contract management, HR works, invoicing, accounts and dealing with my accountant, bank and all sorts of company tasks except doing core IT work).
I could make her the primary applicant for the E2 Visa and I would stay as E2 employee (or just as E2 dependent). But she has a masters degree in paramedics (not practicing) but not any IT stuff. Any problems with this?
How does this plan sound?

Last edited by GeorgeSpark; Aug 18th 2018 at 7:50 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 7:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As a principal consultant with management responsibility of the overall business. Would that hurt the visa process?

If so, I can switch the gear. Eg. My wife is my UK company secretary and running all admin work past 18 years (contract management, HR works, invoicing, accounts and dealing with my accountant, bank and all sorts of company tasks except doing core IT work).
I could make her the primary applicant for the E2 Visa and I would stay as E2 employee. But she has a masters degree in paramedics (not practicing) but not any IT stuff. Any problems with this?
How does this plan sound?
It is usually recommended that one spouse be a dependent, not a 50/50 partner in the application. That person can then apply for an EAD and work outside the E-2 business -- that might open up the possibility of becoming indispensable to a US business that would be willing to sponsor that person for a green card. So the person who is not the E-2 applicant should be carefully chosen with that in mind.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is usually recommended that one spouse be a dependent, not a 50/50 partner in the application. That person can then apply for an EAD and work outside the E-2 business -- that might open up the possibility of becoming indispensable to a US business that would be willing to sponsor that person for a green card. So the person who is not the E-2 applicant should be carefully chosen with that in mind.
Good point. One of us will remain as E2 dependant and keep the possibility of employment outside of our E2 business (and subsequent EB2/3 GC options open).
Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2018, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

I can see issues, hopefully a combination of a well worked business plan and competent legal advice can resolve them.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A good experienced attorney you may want to consult with is J Craig Fong of Fong & Aguino in Pasadena California.

From what you post, my reaction is that it may very well be doable. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.