Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa Change of Employer Not Easy

E-3 Visa Change of Employer Not Easy

Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:30 pm
Banned

darenatto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question E-3 Visa Change of Employer Not Easy

Hi,

I just want to share the following information with experts and newbie here.Its a nightmare to change employer on E3 visa in US.

According to USCIS link below, the applicant on E-3 must wait for approval from the USCIS to change employer (this may take upto 4 months). The E3 is not under the same category as a H1b visa.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Thanks,

Last edited by darenatto; Sep 10th 2008 at 5:48 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa Change of Employer Not Easy

Of course you have to wait for permission to change employers. The purpose of your visa was to come assist one specific employer with their needs, not walk into the US job market with a Golden Ticket.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darenatto
Hi,

I just want to share the following information with experts and newbie here.Its a nightmare to change employer on E3 visa in US.

According to USCIS link below, the applicant on E-3 must wait for approval from the USCIS to change employer (this may take upto 4 months). The E3 is not under the same category as a H1b visa.

Thanks,
Many just fly out of US and get the new e-3...
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:41 pm
Banned

Paittoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Of course you have to wait for permission to change employers. The purpose of your visa was to come assist one specific employer with their needs, not walk into the US job market with a Golden Ticket.

The visa doesn't gurrantte that the specific employer may have project for 2 years. In contracting the project may finish any time and then eventually you have to change employer.

H1B is a better option in comparison with E3 visa as it allows you to start working for the new employer as soon as the new employer submit LCA.The USCIS receipt is sufficient whereas on E3 one have to wait for permission to change employers.

After finish of project you have 10 days to leave the country, can USCIS grant this permission to change employers within 10 days?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck getting a H1B instead. You can't say "the H1B is better than the E3" - it depends upon each person's needs. E3 suits me just fine and was a lot easier and cheaper than a H1B. Most people recommend avoiding USCIS and just getting a new E3 to change employers.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paittoo
The visa doesn't gurrantte that the specific employer may have project for 2 years. In contracting the project may finish any time and then eventually you have to change employer.

H1B is a better option in comparison with E3 visa as it allows you to start working for the new employer as soon as the new employer submit LCA.The USCIS receipt is sufficient whereas on E3 one have to wait for permission to change employers.

After finish of project you have 10 days to leave the country, can USCIS grant this permission to change employers within 10 days?
Working on projects is always going to be touch and go ?
ALthought projects have milestones and target completions,
most of us know that they can be canned anytime. Hopefully
by then one has developed some networking within the
company to be able to work on other projects......I have
been offered 3 month initial contract to work in US on E-3
but will never do that as it just is not the right way to
do it.
Re : H1B vs E-3, agree with Augigi. It's just not easy to
get h1b is it.....E-3 is fantastic if you have an employer
lined up and a permanet job I suppose..

No gaurantees either way !
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darenatto
Hi,

Thanks,
Hi:

If it helps you might want to remember that analytically, the Immigration Laws are for the purpose of keeping non-citizens out of the United States. Certain exceptions are allowed as the law sees fit -- but they are just that -- exceptions.

Yes, it is not "fair" -- but no one has ever said it was. By way of analogy -- their football field, their rule book and their football. When playing "immigration" it is easier on the soul to remember that.

J Fong and I often joke that the what DHS considers an "abuse" or "circumvention" of US immigration law is very simple: applying for a benefit allowed under the law.

From my days in the US Army, I change the term "F.T.A." by substituting the word "alien" for "army" and describe it as the DHS primary principle of "statutory construction." The fact that this is contrary to the standard rules used in the Courts is of no account. For many years, I have complained about a DHS "boilerplate" citation of Matter of Treasure Craft of California as standing for something it doesn't say. For over 15 years everyone disagreed with me. Then three years a Judge on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals wrote an opinion that matched what I've been saying for years. However, President Bush promoted Judge Alito to the Supreme Court.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Sep 11th 2008 at 4:15 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

If it helps you might want to remember that analytically, the Immigration Laws are for the purpose of keeping non-citizens out of the United States. Certain exceptions are allowed as the law sees fit -- but they are just that -- exceptions.

Yes, it is not "fair" -- but no one has ever said it was. By way of analogy -- their football field, their rule book and their football. When playing "immigration" it is easier on the soul to remember that.

J Fong and I often joke that the what DHS considers an "abuse" or "circumvention" of US immigration law is very simple: applying for a benefit allowed under the law.

From my days in the US Army, I change the term "F.T.A." by substituting the word "alien" for "army" and describe it as the DHS primary principle of "statutory construction." The fact that this is contrary to the standard rules used in the Courts is of no account. For many years, I have complained about a DHS "boilerplate" citation of Matter of Treasure Craft of California as standing for something it doesn't say. For over 15 years everyone disagreed with me. Then three years a Judge on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals wrote an opinion that matched what I've been saying for years. However, President Bush promoted Judge Alito to the Supreme Court.

SO back to the thread - Basically just "the Immigration Laws are for the purpose of keeping non-citizens out of the United States"