Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by msgd
do we need Education Evaluation cerificate of foreign degree for E3 extension??
I have my masters from Australia! please let me know
?

you mean your masters is australian and graduate is not?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

rayyang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by economy_1
One of my friend specially went to Perth for H1B visa stamping as his employer (a fortune 500 company) was not prepared to process his green card on E-3 visa.Unfortunately employer never paid for stamping trips.He spent $5000 towards airfare,accommodation etc. because his family had to move to H4 too.
Why didn't he go to Canada to get his H1B stamped? It should be much much cheaper than flying back to Australia.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

do we need Education Evaluation cerificate of foreign degree for E3 extension??
I have my masters from Australia! please let me know
I did take my evaluation certificate when I went to the see the visa officer but she did not look at anything - not even the offer letter. So, I think it's really case by case but it does not make anything wrong if you bring it with you.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by economy_1
Even if you drive to Canada and coming back on Visa Waiver program you need to apply for ESTA.
An ESTA is only required if entering the US via air. They are NOT needed when entering via land or sea.

You will most likely have to fill in an I-94W (remember them?) when re-entering via land.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by docnetau
An ESTA is only required if entering the US via air. They are NOT needed when entering via land or sea.

You will most likely have to fill in an I-94W (remember them?) when re-entering via land.
That's my understanding as well. Just want to know if somebody has the real experience of doing this immediately after his E3 expires.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E3only
?

you mean your masters is australian and graduate is not?
yes i have my master from australia and bachelors from india. they didn't ask for my Education Evaluation cerificate when i went for my interview. i am going for an E3 visa extension and is it necessary to get it,Education Evaluation, done though ?

does my wife need an EAD,she has E3D visa, before she can apply for SSN?

Last edited by msgd; Feb 14th 2014 at 6:10 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

yes i have my master from australia and bachelors from india. they didn't ask for my Education Evaluation cerificate when i went for my interview. i am going for an E3 visa extension and is it necessary to get it,Education Evaluation, done though ?

does my wife need an EAD,she has E3D visa, before she can apply for SSN?
1. No, they didnt ask me. I dont even remember if they asked for Masters transcipt.
2. No.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

1. No, they didnt ask me. I dont even remember if they asked for Masters transcipt.
2. No.
cool thanks i was told to apply for an EAD first and then get the SSN but i will give it try at the ssn Admin office
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cool thanks i was told to apply for an EAD first and then get the SSN but i will give it try at the ssn Admin office
Hmmmm..you might have a point. I think I may be wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Hmmmm..you might have a point. I think I may be wrong.
hmm thanks

Do E3D visa candidates need an EAD before they can apply for a SSN??
anybody else please give us your thoughts on this?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do E3D visa candidates need an EAD before they can apply for a SSN?
I've no idea... but what does it matter? Nothing can be done until you're in the US anyway... so about 10 business days after you arrive in the US your E-3D spouse can go to SSA and apply for a SSN. Either they'll process it without an EAD or they won't - and then you'll have a definitive answer.

Regardless, the E-3D spouse can apply for an EAD the day you arrive in the US.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 14th 2014 at 10:29 am.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I've no idea... but what does it matter? Nothing can be done until you're in the US anyway... so about 10 business days after you arrive in the US your E-3D spouse can go to SSA and apply for a SSN. Either they'll process it without an EAD or they won't - and then you'll have a definitive answer.

Regardless, the E-3D spouse can apply for an EAD the day you arrive in the US.

Ian
No - E3D cannot directly apply for SSN. The SSN staff directly rejected my wife's SSN application and asked her to apply for an EAD. So after quite a while later she got her EAD and then went to SSN office again for the SSN. It's not quite complex but really no sense.

Also, if somebody wants to get his/her SSN on the next day after he/she visits SSN office, it's not available anymore - told by staff that it's unlawful and they cannot do it.

Last edited by rayyang; Feb 14th 2014 at 2:06 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bryoy
Hi, just a short update but no news to report. I'm still waiting to hear back from the company, although I got an email on Monday (three days ago) saying they were still keen to have me but were waiting on the approval from the higher-ups. I'm hoping the holiday season caused the delay, not anyone balking at the E-3 paperwork.
It's really painful.

Another painful period I experienced is waiting for my passport back with the visa stamped - it took 28 days after the visa interview.

Although the visa officer confirmed that it was granted on-site, couple days later I found the status was changed a category which meant there was an investigation underway and it might take more than 6 months to be finalized. At that time, I had resigned from my previous employer and almost started packing everything up, then saw this potential bad news which really really scared me.

I called every phone number I can find on embassy's website but each time I was re-directed to a call center somewhere in USA and the representatives could only tell me whatever was recorded in the database. Until I submitted the question on a feedback form to get the direct connection with Sydney Consulate General, they replied just couple days before it reached my home.

After received the passport, I only had 2 weeks to take the whole family to USA to start the new job! What a horrible experience!

So, good luck mate! E3 is easy and also can be difficult.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 1:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rayyang
Also, if somebody wants to get his/her SSN on the next day after he/she visits SSN office, it's not available anymore - told by staff that it's unlawful and they cannot do it.
I'm not aware that it's actually unlawful, so it seems that someone at SSA deliberately lied to you. They are allowed to lie to you.

It's really painful.
I can understand it being frustrating... but painful?

At that time, I had resigned from my previous employer and almost started packing everything up, then saw this potential bad news which really really scared me.
With respect, you shouldn't have resigned until you actually had the visa in your passport, and you had the passport in your hands. I can't tell you how many times people have been caught unaware because they assumed things were going forward smoothly.

I called every phone number I can find on embassy's website but each time I was re-directed to a call center somewhere in USA...
The call center isn't in the US... it's in Scotland.

E3 is easy and also can be difficult.
I'm not unsympathetic to what happened to you, but it sounds as though some of your bad experiences were self-inflicted.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 15th 2014 at 1:46 am.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

zenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond reputezenjabba has a reputation beyond repute

hmm thanks

Do E3D visa candidates need an EAD before they can apply for a SSN??
anybody else please give us your thoughts on this?
No, your E3D visa is acceptable for SS to let you apply for a SSN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.