Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:51 am
Just Joined

washingtonmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

FWIW, I agree with the attorney - schedule the interview after you return... and consider it the cost of doing business. After all, neither the lawyer nor your employer nor US immigration is responsible for your wedding travel plans.

Ian
Hey ian-mstm,

Thanks for the reply. So I pushed back and asked my attorney more about this. I understand that doing it in my home-country is more appropriate and carries less risk. But, they opined that Toronto, or another location in Canada, should be fine as I have a strong application and am a strong candidate. I most likely will go with that. Hopefully it works out!
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by washingtonmouse
But, they opined that Toronto, or another location in Canada, should be fine as I have a strong application and am a strong candidate.
With respect, none of that matters. They aren't obligated to look at or even open your application to make that determination! You could be the poster child for an E-3 visa and it won't make one bit of difference.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Ian
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by washingtonmouse
But, they opined that Toronto, or another location in Canada, should be fine as I have a strong application and am a strong candidate.
The first available appointment in Toronto for a non-Canadian resident is the 6th of December, 2016. You could do a little better by going to Ottawa as it has the soonest appointment available (21 September), but...

You second issue is going to be US CBP, or more likely your flight from Australia to the US. Presuming you intend to enter the US using the Visa Waiver Program/ESTA you will require a return ticket that departs to outside of the US/Canada within 90 days. Without such a ticket, the airline in Australia will almost certainly not let you board your flight to the US.

Even if you do make it to the US, immigration is going to be very interested in someone who appears to be moving to the US, but only has an ESTA and a one-way ticket.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

tessapples is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been asked recently...i had a look but couldn't see.

I was told to do my first E3 in the Bahamas, so i booked an appointment and paid the necessary fees to do this. However, i have seen some contradicting info suggesting they only do E3 renewals.

Does anyone have experience with first time E3s in Nassau?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Tess
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tessapples
I was told to do my first E3 in the Bahamas...
By whom were you told?

However, i have seen some contradicting info suggesting they only do E3 renewals.
They are not obligated to process either a 1st application or a renewal, but they might. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You won't know for sure until you get there... and there's no way to know, in advance, whether or not they'll process your visa.

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

tessapples is an unknown quantity at this point

By whom were you told?

Various people who have done E3 visas in both Barbados and Bahamas.

They are not obligated to process either a 1st application or a renewal, but they might. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You won't know for sure until you get there... and there's no way to know, in advance, whether or not they'll process your visa.

Ian
Thanks for the reply.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys, I might be repeating (and beating) myself over this, but does this recent change https://www.uscis.gov/news/dhs-enhan...al-rule-posted in E-3 regulations means E-3 visa holders seeking to change employers have the job portability like the H1B?

I wish to change my employers but I'm still not sure about the 10 day rule and all the technicalities. Could someone with recent experience please highlight the best approach to do so with minimal disruption. One approach is to obviously go in for another visa but given the 2 week notice that most have to offer I'm not sure how that would work. i.e. if you find a job, LCA is approved and you go get another E-3 approved - and wait until this point (E-3 approval) to give the notice to the existing employer then how does this make sense. By default, once new E-3 is approved, you are no longer employed by the existing employer. So what are you giving a notice about anyway.

Please share thoughts/insights.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Snarky is an unknown quantity at this point

By whom were you told?

Ian
Its true, they are not obligated to process your visa. However, many people (Including myself) have had their first E3 processed in Barbados. But note that I was already in the US on a student visa when I applied for my first E3. They may be less inclined to process first time E3's if you're in the US on visa waiver. If you are in the US on a visa waiver you may be fine having your first E3 processed in Barbados or the Bahamas, but your safest course is to have your visa processed in Australia. You shouldn't have an issue having an E3 renewed in Barbados or the Bahamas. 100% guarantees in such matters can never be given of course! Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2016, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Snarky is an unknown quantity at this point

As promised here’s a post about my recent E3 visa renewal experience in Toronto. This was my third E3. Before that I had a student visa.

On 5 August, I booked my interview in Vancouver for 15 August. None of the other Canadian Consulates had interview spots open before late September and Toronto had none until February! Toronto had been closed to non-Canadian residents for the summer, reopening August 1st so that may explain the very long wait times (even by Toronto standards). However, ever the optimist, I kept checking back every 2 hours to see whether by some miracle a spot might open up (due to cancellations) at one of the East Coast consulates. On 7 August a spot in Toronto opened up for 15 August and I snapped it up real quick.

To be honest, if time is of the essence next time, I’d probably not choose Canada for E3 processing again. Last time I went to Barbados and it was very quick and efficient and I got an interview spot within a week. The only reason I chose Canada this time was because my immigration attorney told me the current wait times for interviews in Toronto were currently short- however that didn’t end up being the case.

My consular appointment was at 9:15 on the Monday morning. I flew in Sunday evening into Toronto Pearson airport. I took the air train from the airport into the city to Union Station ($12 one way). I then walked the 20 minutes or so from Union Station to my hotel. I stayed at The DoubleTree by Hilton on Chestnut Street. I chose that hotel because it’s a 5 minute walk to the Consulate. The hotel was very nice and I’d stay there again.

Arrived at the Consulate at 9:15. You cannot take in any electronics or large bags and there is nowhere to store them onsite. The guy ahead of me was directed to a nearby store that would hold his cell phone for him. Best to leave cell phones etc in your hotel room if you can. I took just my documents and my small wallet and that was fine.

There was no waiting time outside the Consulate. The reception guy checked my passport and DS-160 receipt and then sent me inside through security and then to wait in a short queue. The first woman I spoke to took my passport, DS-160 and LCA and asked me a couple of innocuous questions including the basis of my lawful status in Canada. I told her the visa waiver (yes -Australians need a visa waiver if arriving by air). I had forgotten to bring a print out of the waiver but she didn’t need it and sent me to the second (also short) queue for my interview.

The second lady that spoke to me asked me the usual questions- how long I’d been in my profession, what I was going to do, where I was going to work etc. She didn’t realize at first it was a renewal but when she did she very quickly went ahead and approved my visa. She only looked at the LCA and nothing else. However I was well prepared and had every document I could conceivably need.

Several people ahead of me applying for different visas (tourist, student and H1-Bs I’m guessing) were questioned extensively and one person had their visa denied and another was put into administrative processing pending confirmation of criminal record disclosures.

Once approved the lady said it would take 4-5 business days to get my passport back (despite the consular website stating processing was currently taking 1 business day) and gave me a piece of paper with instructions for tracking visa processing and delivery. All up I was in and out in about 45 mins tops.

When you book your appointment you have to choose a branch of Canada Post where your passport will be delivered (you can also elect to have it delivered to a private address for an additional fee). The closest post office to my hotel was at 595 Bay Street- a 5 minute walk. You can sign up for email alerts that tell you when the passport is delivered to the post office and can be collected. Note you need to take ID with an address that matches the info given to the consulate. I used a NY State ID card.

On Thursday at 11am I got email notification that the passport was delivered and I went and collected it. I flew out Thursday evening. Please give yourself plenty of time at the airport as they do US immigration on the Canadian side and there can be a lengthy wait. The immigration officer was very nice, checked my documents, asked a few standard questions and away I went.

I will edit with additional info if anyone has questions.

Last edited by Snarky; Aug 20th 2016 at 1:27 am.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

windseclib is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I just accepted a job offer in the US and am in the process of starting my E-3 application. One of the items the company's lawyers asked for was my 3 most recent pay stubs, which I do not have and which are not from the US. I am not applying for a transfer, so would the pay stubs be necessary?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by windseclib
One of the items the company's lawyers asked for was my 3 most recent pay stubs...
Are you not currently working?

... which I do not have...
True - you can't give them something that doesn't exist.

... and which are not from the US.
Were you asked for US-based pay stubs?

I am not applying for a transfer, so would the pay stubs be necessary?
If the lawyers are drawing up the paperwork for your E-3 visa, I would think cooperation with them would be important... unless you don't actually want the visa!

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

No, I am a recent university graduate and have only ever done internships, which were not in the US. I am not currently employed.

I was not asked for US-based pay stubs but I don't have any at all.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

I was not asked for US-based pay stubs but I don't have any at all.
Ah! Well then, as I noted earlier - you can't give them what you don't have. Tell them so.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Ah! Well then, as I noted earlier - you can't give them what you don't have. Tell them so.

Ian
Thanks for your reply. Do you think this will be an issue? I see no reason that pay stubs are necessary other than to verify employment.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Do you think this will be an issue?
No.

I see no reason that pay stubs are necessary other than to verify employment.
I agree.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.