Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

krizap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi everyone.

So I have just received my E3D but i'm a little confused about getting a work permit (EAD). I know I need to fill out form I-765 but the instructions haven't been updated for E3D holders and hence there is no eligible category number to write under question 16. I've rang USCIS and they, of course, are no help.

Does anyone know the eligibility code? I really can't afford a lawyer after paying $400 for a visa and another $400 for a work permit. Any help would be really appreciated!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

nani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krizap
Hi everyone.

So I have just received my E3D but i'm a little confused about getting a work permit (EAD). I know I need to fill out form I-765 but the instructions haven't been updated for E3D holders and hence there is no eligible category number to write under question 16. I've rang USCIS and they, of course, are no help.

Does anyone know the eligibility code? I really can't afford a lawyer after paying $400 for a visa and another $400 for a work permit. Any help would be really appreciated!
Can you be more specific? What are the categories that are available. USCIS probably will not have a clue and will probably ask you to contact attorney! You can email them and ask though, sometimes you might get lucky or email the ombudsman.

By the way, did you get your E3D via USCIS or overseas? If you did your processing with USCIS can you please post how long it took them to process your application. Thanks.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

There is a specific category for E3D. We did it for my wife. Let me dig into it ...
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

(a) 17

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

gman8007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm on my first e-3 and it's due to expire in late April. I've decided I'm just going to get a new E-3 for the same job - seems much more efficient.

Going through the forum - the best issuing place seems to be Australia or the UK. I'm back in Australia around the Christmas/New Year period and have time to renew. Do you think it's too early to renew in January. That way we would save on the cost of going to the UK or Canada to renew.

Any experiences on getting a new e-3 issued super dooper early? In this case 3 months early? or should I just wait until late April and then leave the country.

Appreciate your advice. Grace
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be okay with 'losing' the three months in the overlap? If they do give you a visa, it will expire 2 years from the issue date. (Sorry, I've never tried to renew early, so can't comment on that part.)

Getting an E-3R in Canada should not be a hassle (although getting an appointment may well be!)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

gman8007 is an unknown quantity at this point

No - We would not mind losing the three months. We only plan to be here until July 2013, so it would be perfect.

Yes - I'm a little intimidated by how difficult it may be to get an appointment in Canada!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:25 am
Just Joined

krizap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E3only

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gman8007
Any experiences on getting a new e-3 issued super dooper early? In this case 3 months early? or should I just wait until late April and then leave the country.
You'll have no issues getting it early in Australia. As others have said, the only real disadvantage is that you'll lose the extra 3 months at the end.

Canada is a worthwhile option and appointments aren't that hard to get presuming you book early (start looking at least 2 months in advance), but if you're already going to be in Australia then that's almost certainly a better option - and the wait times for an appointment are normally less than a week.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

skzm is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone heard of / know of any problems with entering the USA with very little time left on an E3? I have one that expires on the 25th of May, and am planning on going home then - but have to go back for a wedding in early March is there likely to be any problem re-entering with only 8-10 weeks left? I am happy to show a ticket on to somewhere...
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skzm
Anyone heard of / know of any problems with entering the USA with very little time left on an E3?
Your visa is valid until the day it expires. Why do you think you'll have a problem entering the US with a valid visa?

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:53 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone heard of / know of any problems with entering the USA with very little time left on an E3? I have one that expires on the 25th of May, and am planning on going home then - but have to go back for a wedding in early March is there likely to be any problem re-entering with only 8-10 weeks left? I am happy to show a ticket on to somewhere...
Are you planning on still working for the same company after the visa expires (i.e. Are you renewing your E-3 status?) Depending on the border agent, you may be admitted for 2 years from your next entry date, or until the visa expiration date, or something else. SInce renewing the E-3 status takes time, you may not wanna bet on doing that in time after reentering in March, if you are admitted until your visa expiration date (May 25).

I have used my E-3 to enter the U.S. three times so far. The 1st and 3rd time I was admitted with a I-94 expiration date 2 years from the date of entry. The 2nd time though, I was admitted until the visa expiration date only. So it does vary from agent to agent

Last edited by lifehouse51; Oct 31st 2011 at 10:56 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:08 am
Just Joined

oz_in_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jameslondon
Hi Ian

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have no US experience. I am familiar with US accounting practices. I have a bachelor of Commerce majoring in Accounting and Finance. I am part qualified and have started my CPA. I am just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone has a similar experience to myself

Thanks again for the reply

I am CPA (Certified Practising Accountant) qualified from Australia, I have now learnt that the CPA in the US stands for Certified Public Accountant and the Australian CPA is not recognised as the equivalent. I was not aware of this distinction!
Just thought I'd share in case you are going for CPA qualified jobs as you will not be recognised as having the equivalent. I read that ACCA (UK) is equivalent (so I assume CA Aust. is too), and CPA (Aust) and CIMA (UK) are not.
Hope this helps!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

skzm is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the replies...

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your visa is valid until the day it expires. Why do you think you'll have a problem entering the US with a valid visa?
Yep makes sense. No particular reason - just along the same lines as traveling on a passport with less than 6 months left etc.

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Are you planning on still working for the same company after the visa expires (i.e. Are you renewing your E-3 status?)
Yep - am not planning on renewing the E-3 - I'm on an assignment and keen to return home at the end of it, but not sure how that's going to work yet...
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:28 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for the replies...

Yep makes sense. No particular reason - just along the same lines as traveling on a passport with less than 6 months left etc.

Yep - am not planning on renewing the E-3 - I'm on an assignment and keen to return home at the end of it, but not sure how that's going to work yet...
It probably won't be a problem reentering, unless there is somehow a suspicion that you'll overstay your status

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.