E-2 visa for canadian

Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Joe-6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E-2 visa for canadian

Hello all, I am a candian and looking to move to US to start my own business, mainly to start daycare business, definitly seaking legal advice is needed, but I appreciate all your input.
I have brother there and runing his own daycare business, Do I start my own business or partner with my brother in the current and establish new daycare business for the E-2 visa ease of processing.
Is it easier to apply for E-2 visa from within US, or from Canada, specially I need to go to US for few months to prepare all the steps of establising the business before applying for E-2 visa.
All your comments are appreciated.
Joe-6
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-2 visa for canadian

Originally Posted by Joe-6
Hello all, I am a candian and looking to move to US...
Canadians can also get a TN visa - although, to be fair, I have no idea if you (or a daycare) qualify. Do you have any other skills? University degree?

Is it easier to apply for E-2 visa from within US, or from Canada...
You can not apply for a visa from within the US... which makes sense, inasmuch as it's the visa that allows you to enter the US.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Canadians can also get a TN visa - although, to be fair, I have no idea if you (or a daycare) qualify. Do you have any other skills? University degree?

You can not apply for a visa from within the US... which makes sense, inasmuch as it's the visa that allows you to enter the US.

Ian
Thanks Ian,
Yes I do have several University degrees, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Master in Biomedical Engineering, and BS in Physics, Too many degrees, but I want to rest from science for few years. Applying fo TN visa requires a job offer from US employer which I am not considering right now, I just quite my current Job which was very decent Job.
Thanks again
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:20 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Joe:

You have a LOT of homework to do.

Yes, an E-2 is possible, although I would not even attempt an application unless you're investing at least, say, $200,000 or so. Yes, you can partner with your relative who is here PROVIDED that YOU own at least 50% of the business. Yes, you would need to come to the USA as a business visitor so you could begin looking for locations, signing leases, getting designers to "build out" your site, incorporating, opening bank accounts, get appropriate state licensing and business permits, etc. etc. etc. Yes, you can come to the USA as a visitor for such a purpose.

You can enter the USA as a visitor, but to apply for the E-2 visa, you will need to do that at the US Consulate-General in Vancouver or Toronto, depending on where in Canada that you live.

I hope that helps.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks J Craig Fong for your great clarifications,
yes as you mentioned I need to do my homework and all the steps you mentioned make sense. The only concern is the place where I need to apply for the E-2 visa, after doing all the needed arrangements. Is it possible to apply from within US instead of consulate general in Canada? or it is a must to apply from outside US.
Thanks again for your response.
cheers
Joe-6
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks J Craig Fong for your great clarifications,
yes as you mentioned I need to do my homework and all the steps you mentioned make sense. The only concern is the place where I need to apply for the E-2 visa, after doing all the needed arrangements. Is it possible to apply from within US instead of consulate general in Canada? or it is a must to apply from outside US.
cheers
Joe-6
A visa is used to enter a country.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to apply from within US instead of consulate general in Canada? or it is a must to apply from outside US.
cheers
Joe-6
You cannot apply for a visa to the from within the USA. You need to be outside the USA in order to get a visa to come to the USA.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Hello Rene and thanks for your response,
If you go through the thread, you may see that as a canadian I do not need a visa to visit US, so entering US is not part of the question. I am refering to E-2 visa which is related to investment purpose, in other words, Visa to start business and not to enter the US. Hope this explain better.
Thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go through the thread, you may see that as a canadian I do not need a visa to visit US, so entering US is not part of the question. I am refering to E-2 visa which is related to investment purpose, in other words, Visa to start business and not to enter the US. Hope this explain better.
Thanks
Right. I understand. An E-2 visa is a visa and since you cannot obtain a visa from within the USA (because a visa of ANY kind is used to enter the USA), you would first have to leave the USA, and then obtain any visa you want (for example, E-2) from outside the USA.

I know you were talking about E-2. Yes, you need to obtain an E-2 visa outside the USA, simply because it is a visa.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi:

Not part of the equation?? One, Canadians DO need visas for E-2. Also, lets say you do change to E-2 status within the US and then pop up to Canada, you then LOSE your E-2 status because you don't have a visa.

Your assumption is quite unwarranted.