E-2 versus L-1

Old May 20th 2009, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Widebase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E-2 versus L-1

Hi,

Ok, finally got a date for my L-1 interview, and its not until July, having been told it was likely at the start of June. My HR department say one option to expedite things is to go for an E-2 visa instead, as they still have some early June slots for these at the embassy.

Can anyone please highlight the main differences between the 2 visas and what they mean in practical terms?

Many thanks
Old May 20th 2009, 4:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-2 versus L-1

If you want to stay here permanently, wait for the L1. There's no direct path to a green card with an E2.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in the answer to this question as well, as the company I work for are currently trying to fill a vacancy here in the US and looking at possibly transferring an internal candidate from the UK, but one of the potential candidates does not have a full year of service with the company and I was wondering if the E2 might offer us a way round it.

Whilst I realise that individual investors who come over here on the E2 and buy a business are usually unable to become permanent residents, is there any reason why an employer can't sponsor an E2 employee for an employment based green card? Assuming that this is possible an E2 might actually be a better option than an L1B, since some of the employment based categories are now backlogged enough that it might be impossible to file AOS before the five years of the L1B visa run out.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Widebase
Hi,

Ok, finally got a date for my L-1 interview, and its not until July, having been told it was likely at the start of June. My HR department say one option to expedite things is to go for an E-2 visa instead, as they still have some early June slots for these at the embassy.

Can anyone please highlight the main differences between the 2 visas and what they mean in practical terms?

Many thanks
Hi:

A visa by any name is just as sweet. They will both allow you work for the employer. You don't say if you will be an L-1A or an L-1B. The analogue of L-1B in the E-2 context can be problematical.

The E-2 will not have a time limit on the length of stay.

There is a persistent myth out in the wild that an E-2 in a managerial position cannot qualify for EB-1 managerial/executive classification on the immigrant end of the shop. I've been amused for 30 years on the persistence of this myth.