Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default Re: E-2 or American Citizen? Interesting Questions Inside

Can i just say if Ryan can get a US passport which by what ive read he can, where does that leave me and the kids? would we still have to marry before we go?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Can i just say if Ryan can get a US passport which by what ive read he can, where does that leave me and the kids? would we still have to marry before we go?
If Ryan is a US citizen, the next step is to work out whether he transmitted US citizenship to the kids.

If they're US citizens, get passports for them, too. And a consular record of birth and social security card while you're at the embassy.

Which after a pile of ifs, leaves only you! Yes -- it's going to be a lot easier if you're married.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

well as i said before i have 2 girls from a previous marriege and we have a son together so i imagine the citizenship would only be passed to him? just when you seem to be getting somewhere theres still tons of questions
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

well as i said before i have 2 girls from a previous marriege and we have a son together so i imagine the citizenship would only be passed to him? just when you seem to be getting somewhere theres still tons of questions
IF Ryan is a US citizen, (and how exciting to find out!!) AND you are married, he can petition you (his spouse) for Permanent Residency (green card). IF you marry before your daughters turn 18, he becomes their step-father and he can also petition for them at the same time he does for you.
The 3 of your would apply for the correct visa (allow about 6 months and many $$) and everyone can then move to the US.

After a certain number of years as a PR (green card), you can apply for your own US citizenship via 'naturalization'.

Each step will fall into place.. find out Ryan's status first.
I'm still curious how he got PR but not citizenship, previously. I haven't read a lot of adoption tales.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks meauxna,
I have no idea, im still waiting to hear from Ryans dad so he can answer some questions for us, im hoping come tomorrow we will have more information so we can get on with the process.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's an immigration attorney job.

If you go through this thread a write down all the bits of information you've already provided in a logical order together with your goal, it should make the attorney's job a lot easier.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we do have one in mind, does it matter if its a US attorney? His dad was a defence attorney so knows some good people, so excited, hope it all goes to plan.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we do have one in mind, does it matter if its a US attorney? His dad was a defence attorney so knows some good people, so excited, hope it all goes to plan.
Wherever the attorney is located, it should be specifically an immigration attorney with experience in US immigration.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:53 pm
Septicity

You need an attorney because your fact pattern contains too many ifs

You need an immigration attorney because they specialize in the area of the law that concerns your issue.

His dad, however, should know how to check an immigration attorney out....and sort the wheat from the chaff.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

This is so frustrating, spoken to a few people today and not getting many straight answers. I was wondering if he would just be able to apply for a US passport?

'If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:

Your foreign birth certificate
Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent
Your parents' marriage certificate
A statement of your U.S. citizen parent detailing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.'

He has all this so could he just apply????

Thanks again in advance
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He has all this so could he just apply?
Yes. One of 3 things will happen: 1) he gets the passport; 2) he's asked for more information before it's approved; or 3) he won't get the passport. Worst case scenario - there's no change from your current situation, and all you've lost is the application fee and a bit of time.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Those are all simple things and ones that I felt you were going to need.

He needs is original birth certificate

He needs is adoptive certificate (more likely than not)

He needs his mother and stepfather's marriage certificate to prove they were legally married

His father will have no problem re saying where he was living all those years. NY
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Right so since My last post on here we have recruited an immigration lawyer based in Florida/ London.

He's checked Ryans paper work and said the same as you guys that he should qualify for US citizenship. He's sent us a retainer to fill in and wants a initial payment of $2,200, I know lawyers don't come cheap but is there any way around it?

Could we not do something ourselves?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know lawyers don't come cheap but is there any way around it?
Yes... don't hire the lawyer.

Could we not do something ourselves?
Yes... file yourself without using an attorney. Facts are still facts... even without an attorney. Proof is still proof... even without an attorney.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian, your always quick with the right answers, what's our next move?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.