Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DV Winner-What Happens after arrival?

DV Winner-What Happens after arrival?

Old Sep 22nd 2001, 8:21 pm
Rabi

Folks: I need to know what happens after a DV winner enters US. What I understand is
that at the point of entry fingerprints are taken and passport is stamped. Once in,
the person applies for social security number and waits for the plastic green card.
After getting the two, the entrie process is over, right?

After how long can somebody expect the plastic green card? If it takes a while, is
there any problem in going abroad, or in filing for extended visit abroad (I-131?)
without having the plastic card?

The situation is that a friend and his wife have completed their DV visa interview
abroad and need to enter US before March 6, 2001. They can NOT both leave home
together (one of them needs to be home), and also, they will need some time (a year
or slightly more) to settle issues at home before they can finally come here for
good. Their plan is to have the principal applicant (husband) come here right away
and stay a few months, get plastic card, apply for extended visit abroad (I-131?),
and go back for around a year before finally coming back. As soon as husband goes
back, wife will come here (before March deadline, of course), wait for the plastic
green card, apply for extended visit abroad, go back, and finally, after a year or so
come back with husband for good.

They want to know if they need to wait for the plastic green card before going back
or filing I-131, and how long the plastic green card takes.

Regards and TIA. -Rabin