DV 2010 - problems with my photo

Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

amykate is an unknown quantity at this point
Question DV 2010 - problems with my photo

Hello,

I'm trying to submit my entry to the DV-2010 but I have some problems. First of all, the photo validator on dvlottery.state.gov doesn't seem to work for me, no matter which internet browser I use. So I can't check if my photo is correct or not. I've seen the good and bad examples they have on the website, but yes I still have some questions.

We've just taken some photos of me, but no matter what we do, they are still a little bit too dark. I know it's written down there that the pictures cannot be digitally edited, but I can't even edit the lighting and resolution a little bit (while making sure that the contrast is not too high)?

One more question about the shadows on the background: I've seen that example of a quite big shadow on the background behind the man's head (again, on the photo validator page) and yes, it's obvious why a photo like that is not accepted. But what about a really small shadow on the background behid my earlobes? (No, I don't have such huge ears. )

Sorry, if these questions might seem a bit silly, but it's my first DV entry and I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DV 2010 - problems with my photo

Originally Posted by amykate
Hello,

I'm trying to submit my entry to the DV-2010 but I have some problems. First of all, the photo validator on dvlottery.state.gov doesn't seem to work for me, no matter which internet browser I use. So I can't check if my photo is correct or not. I've seen the good and bad examples they have on the website, but yes I still have some questions.

We've just taken some photos of me, but no matter what we do, they are still a little bit too dark. I know it's written down there that the pictures cannot be digitally edited, but I can't even edit the lighting and resolution a little bit (while making sure that the contrast is not too high)?

One more question about the shadows on the background: I've seen that example of a quite big shadow on the background behind the man's head (again, on the photo validator page) and yes, it's obvious why a photo like that is not accepted. But what about a really small shadow on the background behid my earlobes? (No, I don't have such huge ears. )

Sorry, if these questions might seem a bit silly, but it's my first DV entry and I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.
Who would know if you lightened it a bit

you could put it up here and we can check your ears

Last edited by Ray; Oct 4th 2008 at 3:15 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to do anything wrong, then I suggest you have better photos taken. If the photos you have are the best you can get, then I suggest a little gamma correction is in order.

Ian
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i used uk passport photos taken in an photo shop and returned to me on the spot - for my visa application. They UK standards are the same for face size ratios etc (its for the same facial recognition test) its just the us photos are square rather than oblong so they are wider than uk ones (but the extra is just empty background).

(nb - this wasnt for the dv though)
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your replies! I actually decided to get a better photo taken. So, I wanted to submit my entry today, but the website doesn't seem to work properly again. I tried it using Internet Explorer, because it says they have problems with Firefox, but when I click on "continue" to submit my entry, the next page can't appear - like when I don't have internet connection....which I have because I'm writing here. Do you think I should use another browsers or wait (don't know how long I should wait, honestly because it wasn't working properly a week ago, either...)?
Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: Problem solved, confirmation number recieved.

Last edited by amykate; Oct 12th 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

A question - those that got pics done in the US and got electronic copies to submit, where did you go? Does any camera store that does passport pics do electronic copies?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Does any camera store that does passport pics do electronic copies?
If you have a digital camera, you can DIY.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:36 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

MaryC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by augigi
A question - those that got pics done in the US and got electronic copies to submit, where did you go? Does any camera store that does passport pics do electronic copies?
What I did, I scanned my photos (made in US passport format) in the photo shop and they put it on my USB. When I got home I just resized it to 600px as required.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:20 am
Just Joined

sherifnoor is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with Internet Explorer; every time I click on "continue" to submit my entry, the next page can't appear. Could you please let me know how you solved yhis problem? Thank you.

Thank you so much for your replies! I actually decided to get a better photo taken. So, I wanted to submit my entry today, but the website doesn't seem to work properly again. I tried it using Internet Explorer, because it says they have problems with Firefox, but when I click on "continue" to submit my entry, the next page can't appear - like when I don't have internet connection....which I have because I'm writing here. Do you think I should use another browsers or wait (don't know how long I should wait, honestly because it wasn't working properly a week ago, either...)?
Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: Problem solved, confirmation number recieved.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sherifnoor
I have the same problem with Internet Explorer; every time I click on "continue" to submit my entry, the next page can't appear. Could you please let me know how you solved yhis problem? Thank you.
I used Mozilla and I didn't have problems with it.