Dual Nationality Question

Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

astro8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Nationality Question

Hi,

I was born in the US to British parents and moved to britain aged 6. I have an american passport from when i was a baby which obviously expired ages ago and i have a british passport, which says that my birthplace was the US on it. I'm planning on going back to the US on holiday this June but I've read if you have dual nationality you have to enter the US on a US passport which I don't have the money or time to do for just a two week holiday. My question is, will I be ok to go there on holiday with my british passport? Or will I not be let in or something?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality Question

Originally Posted by astro8
Hi,

I was born in the US to British parents and moved to britain aged 6. I have an american passport from when i was a baby which obviously expired ages ago and i have a british passport, which says that my birthplace was the US on it. I'm planning on going back to the US on holiday this June but I've read if you have dual nationality you have to enter the US on a US passport which I don't have the money or time to do for just a two week holiday. My question is, will I be ok to go there on holiday with my british passport? Or will I not be let in or something?

Thanks in advance
What you read is correct. USC's are supposed to enter the USA using a US passport. If you enter using your UK passport and the POE officer notices you were born in the USA, he has the right to fine you (not sure how much the fine is, you can probably google that one). He probably won't, but he could.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The USA tolerates, but does not recognize, dual citizenship. Unless one or the other of your parents was a diplomat in the USA, or otherwise not subject to US jurisdiction, the US considers you to be a citizen of the USA.

You might want to look through CBP's Inspector's Field Manual to see what guidance it gives to CBP officers when they encounter someone in your situation.

You can renounce your US citizenship, if you wish.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 4th 2013 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've read if you have dual nationality you have to enter the US on a US passport...
This is true even if you're a US citizen without dual nationality. It is the law, by the way, that US citizens must enter the US with a US passport... in case you were wondering.

... which I don't have the money or time to do for just a two week holiday.
The US isn't interested in your inconvenience. Something else you might want to consider... as a USC you can't actually apply for ESTA - as that's only for people who are visitors to the US... not for US citizens.

My question is, will I be ok to go there on holiday with my british passport? Or will I not be let in or something?
As a US citizen, you must be allowed to enter the US... but the officer is also allowed to fine you, if he so chooses, for not using a US passport. I suggest you bring your expired US passport.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is true even if you're a US citizen without dual nationality. It is the law, by the way, that US citizens must enter the US with a US passport... in case you were wondering.

The US isn't interested in your inconvenience. Something else you might want to consider... as a USC you can't actually apply for ESTA - as that's only for people who are visitors to the US... not for US citizens.

As a US citizen, you must be allowed to enter the US... but the officer is also allowed to fine you, if he so chooses, for not using a US passport. I suggest you bring your expired US passport.

Ian
But would the airline allow him to board with an expired US passport and a non-US passport without an ESTA?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
But would the airline allow him to board with an expired US passport and a non-US passport without an ESTA?
I've no idea, but an expired US passport is still valid proof of citizenship... even if it's not valid as a travel document. If he has any issues with the front desk personnel at the airport, a supervisor should be requested.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:09 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

I'd just apply for a US passport at the embassy in London if I were you. You have plenty of time if you do it now, and it'll be cheaper than a fine. Plus it might prove useful over the next ten years. Also assuming you are male look up www.SSS.gov and regardless of gender read www.IRS.gov, you probably should be filing a tax return.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The USA tolerates, but does not recognize, dual citizenship.
Read this:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

"The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. "

Some USC's that hold other citizenships have problems with security clearance:

http://careers.state.gov/uploads/7a/...itizenship.pdf
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance
The answer is simple - get a US passport and use it to enter/leave the US. Bring your UK passport with you.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That's consistent with what I wrote.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Read this:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

"The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. "

Some USC's that hold other citizenships have problems with security clearance:

http://careers.state.gov/uploads/7a/...itizenship.pdf
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a very strong possibility that you will *not* be allowed to fly with just a valid UK passport and an expired US passport.

Timatic, which is the visa database airlines use, says:

National USA (US)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination USA (US)
Passport required.
- Nationals of USA must hold passports and/or passport
replacing documents valid on arrival.
Passport Exemptions:
- Holders of a Temporary or Emergency passports.
- Holders of a Transportation Letter:
VISA NOT REQUIRED.