Dual nationality question....

Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual nationality question....

Hi, I'm obviously a long way from this but I was just wondering....

I'm moving over on an L1B soon, my girlfriend of 3 years is a USC and we are planning on marrying before my Visa expires (i.e at some point in the next few years)...anyway, say I adjust for status and get a green card ....could I one day get dual citizenship if i wanted or would I have to give up my UK passport? If I could get both then I'd probably do it, but I would never give up my UK passport. Also, hypothetically once I get my green card through marriage, could I just live on that forever? Could I feasibly live for the rest of my life in the US without giving up my UK passport?

Obviously this has no bearing on anything right now, was just wondering and thinking of the future!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality question....

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I'm moving over on an L1B soon, my girlfriend of 3 years is a USC and we are planning on marrying before my Visa expires (i.e at some point in the next few years)...anyway, say I adjust for status and get a green card ....could I one day get dual citizenship if i wanted or would I have to give up my UK passport? If I could get both then I'd probably do it, but I would never give up my UK passport. Also, hypothetically once I get my green card through marriage, could I just live on that forever? Could I feasibly live for the rest of my life in the US without giving up my UK passport?
You are allowed to hold dual UK / US citizenship. You would then have 2 passports, a UK one and a US one.

If you choose not to become a USC, you will have to renew your green card every 10 years.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You are allowed to hold dual UK / US citizenship. You would then have 2 passports, a UK one and a US one.

If you choose not to become a USC, you will have to renew your green card every 10 years.

Best Wishes,
Rene
sorry, i should have looked...a thread about this very subject is two threads below this one

Cool! I know I'm getting ahead of myself but as I'm moving over with the possibility of getting married one day it really has got me thinking about the future. I'm glad I could get both if I wanted. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against the US (well, almost nothing ) but I couldnt give up my UK citizenship ever. What do most people do? Do most Brits in the states longterm go for citizenship or do most just extend gc every 10 years?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, i should have looked...a thread about this very subject is two threads below this one

Cool! I know I'm getting ahead of myself but as I'm moving over with the possibility of getting married one day it really has got me thinking about the future. I'm glad I could get both if I wanted. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against the US (well, almost nothing ) but I couldnt give up my UK citizenship ever. What do most people do? Do most Brits in the states longterm go for citizenship or do most just extend gc every 10 years?
bonk bonk bonk!

Did you find the wiki page?

You can also search, particularly in the USA Lifestyle forum on the topic.. actually there is a wiki page already for the pros and cons, IIRC.. to find out what many/most people do.
My DH naturalized. With a UK + a US passport, many more places are open to us, to live in.
When you are on a Green Card (Permanent Resident) you can not vote, and you can still be removed (deported).
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do most Brits in the states longterm go for citizenship or do most just extend gc every 10 years?
I doubt there are any hard statistics on this... but I'm guessing most remain PRs because, like you, they believe that they will lose their UK citizenship by becoming a USC. The reason... they *think* that renouncing allegiance to the crown is the same as renouncing your citizenship. It isn't... but they don't know that.

Ian - dual UKC/USC
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I doubt there are any hard statistics on this... but I'm guessing most remain PRs because, like you, they believe that they will lose their UK citizenship by becoming a USC. The reason... they *think* that renouncing allegiance to the crown is the same as renouncing your citizenship. It isn't... but they don't know that.

Ian - dual UKC/USC

You have to renounce your allegiance to the crown? mmm, dont think I could do that. What does that actually mean?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing really. You have to say the US is your #1 - but you don't actually have to officially renounce your UK citizenship, so it's a technicality. There is a whole PDF booklet at uscis.gov about becoming a citizen which explains it all.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to renounce your allegiance to the crown? mmm, dont think I could do that. What does that actually mean?
Hi:

The actual oath of allegiance to become a US citizen includes a formal renunciation of all prior allegiances -- it uses some pretty archaic language, but it is in there.

What happens is that you make formal declaration tell Liz to go to Hell, but Liz says you can't do that.

Bottom line -- you have dual nationality.

In regards to other countries -- they DO recognize the renunciation. Republic of Korea and India are two countries that come to mind.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You have to renounce your allegiance to the crown? mmm, dont think I could do that.
You say that as though it actually has any validity as far as the UK is concerned. It doesn't. Oddly enough, the UK is *not* subject to US law... nor does it recognize the US oath as being binding on the UK.

What does that actually mean?
What it *actually* means, is that when you are in the US, or dealing with US authorities, you are recognized as being *only* a US citizen, and any citizenship of any other country is irrelevant to those US authorities.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You say that as though it actually has any validity as far as the UK is concerned. It doesn't. Oddly enough, the UK is *not* subject to US law... nor does it recognize the US oath as being binding on the UK.

What it *actually* means, is that when you are in the US, or dealing with US authorities, you are recognized as being *only* a US citizen, and any citizenship of any other country is irrelevant to those US authorities.

Ian
Funnily enough, I'm aware that the UK is not subject to US law. I just meant that I would find it hard to do it, regardless of the legal in's and out's.

Why do you do *this* all the time?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

He wants to be like me.

It's an old Usenet thing.. shows emphasis. Some of us forget we now have special text features like bolding and italics to do the job.

The Oath is posted on the Naturalization Wiki page if you'd like to see what it *actually* says.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Because it's a throwback to the early days of UUCP... long before Web browsers and the World Wide Web were common. I've been online since 1983... when everything was text based, and Microsoft's version of Windows as a graphic user interface was still 2 years away! Geez, I still have my original 300 bps modem. Okay... here's a bit of Ian trivia... in 1993, my parents bribed me with a high speed modem (14.4k) if I would cut off my ponytail. I did! I still think I got the better end of the deal.

The youngsters today have no idea of how easy they've got it.

When I learned to use a keyboard, it was attached to a thing called a typewriter. BTW, I learned to type on an Olivetti Underwood Lettera 32. This was when I was in grade 9... 1967. Typing is the *only* course that has truly served me well all these years!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 1st 2008 at 10:27 pm.