Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship - military service

dual citizenship - military service

Old May 13th 2002, 4:20 pm
Nicola Murray

Default dual citizenship - military service

My son is a dual citizen of Great Britain and the USA. Does anybody know if he can be
called for military service by both countries? If so can he choose which one?

Old May 13th 2002, 9:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: dual citizenship - military service

Nicola Murray wrote:
    >
    > My son is a dual citizen of Great Britain and the USA. Does anybody know if he can
    > be called for military service by both countries? If so can he choose which one?

The UK does not have conscription at this time, therefore he cannot be called for
military service there now. He would be bound by the rules and treaties applicable
at the time.

Old May 13th 2002, 9:20 pm
Shelley

The US does not have a draft - so your son can't be called into service. The US
military service is entirely voluntary. He is, however, required to register with
Selective Service when he is 18. I don't know anything about the UK military. Take
Care. Shelley

"Nicola Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My son is a dual citizen of Great Britain and the USA. Does anybody know if he can
    > be called for military service by both countries? If so can he choose which one?

Old May 14th 2002, 2:20 am
Stephen C. Gall

Yes, in theory he could be called to serve in the military of both countries, since
each country views him as one of its citizens.

Of course, since neither Britain nor the US have an active draft at the moment, such
an occurrence, while possible, is unlikely.

Stephen