DS160 for H1B - automatic H4?

Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute
Question DS160 for H1B - automatic H4?

I am now fretting about my Monday appointment in London for my H1B visa interview.
The visa attorney used by the company advised:
" If planning to travel with him, Mr. XXX’s spouse and/or children would also be required to complete the DS-160 form and appear with Mr. Bell at the scheduled appointment with their passports, passport-sized photographs, etc., in order to be issued derivative visas with regard to Mr. Bell’s new classification. They should also bring with them, proof of their relationship – marriage and birth certificates. "

On the DS160 form I answered "yes" to the Travel Companions section and I listed my spouse and children. Does this mean they are now in the system and will automatically be setup for H4? visas when I go on Monday?

I can't see another way that they could get H4?

Thanks
Marc
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS160 for H1B - automatic H4?

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
I am now fretting about my Monday appointment in London for my H1B visa interview.
" If planning to travel with him, Mr. XXX’s spouse and/or children would also be required to complete the DS-160 form and appear with Mr. Bell at the scheduled appointment with their passports, passport-sized photographs, etc., in order to be issued derivative visas with regard to Mr. Bell’s new classification. They should also bring with them, proof of their relationship – marriage and birth certificates. "

On the DS160 form I answered "yes" to the Travel Companions section and I listed my spouse and children. Does this mean they are now in the system and will automatically be setup for H4? visas when I go on Monday?

Thanks
Marc
No.

The attorney's advice was correct. Why do you think otherwise? Just curious.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They won't automatically get H4's simply by you ticking "yes" on your DS160. As the attorney says, they need their own DS160s, and they need to appear at an in-person interview. That said, they don't have to go with you to YOUR visa interview...they can go at a later time, if Monday is too early for them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "another way". The attorney told you what needs to be done. That is "THE" way.

Rene
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your responses.

I haven't applied with separate DS160s for my family. I can do it now but will it get into the system in time for Monday? I doubt it.

Noorah you say "they can go at a later time, if Monday is too early for them. "

So if my family come with me on Monday (as planned) will they or wont they be eligible for interview and visa application?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't applied with separate DS160s for my family. I can do it now but will it get into the system in time for Monday? I doubt it.
I doubt it, too.

Noorah you say "they can go at a later time, if Monday is too early for them. "

So if my family come with me on Monday (as planned) will they or wont they be eligible for interview and visa application?
They will not, if they don't have a DS-160 in the system by then.

What I meant was, since it's probably too late for them to get a DS-160 into the system for an interview on Monday....you can go to your interview and get your H1B visa, and then whenever the rest of the family has their DS-160s in the system, they can set up their own interview date and go at that time.

My point was that they can't get their visa Monday because they aren't yet ready to have an interview....but they can go at a later time when they are ready to have their interview, even though you've already had yours and received your H1B. You don't all have to interview together.

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

So as an update for this to help future confused applicants...
Every person needs a DS160. Even a baby.
The easiest way to do it all is to make a login on the US embassy site and then add all of you in one application. Then when you've paid the fees (currently £118 per person more or less) you can schedule an appointment for you ALL to go.
I did mine Monday and we scheduled my wife/kids for the next day. I was amazed I could get the appointment that fast as I had to wait 6 weeks for mine.
Anyway we are all approved and off to Southern Califnornia in the new year. Phew.