DS-230 question

Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-230 question

My husband, the UKC, is filling out the DS-0230 form, and we're not clear on something and I can't find the answer anywhere in my searches.

We have a daughter who was born here in the UK last spring. She hasn't been to the United States yet, but we have filed her US citizenship papers, and received her US passport and consular report of birth.

We're confused, then, as to whether we include her on line 31a of the DS-0230 form, which requests the names of your children who will "accompany" by husband to the United States. Because, yes, obviously, our daughter will go with us. But as she already is a US citizen, the immigration people don't need to factor her in as an additional someone seeking a visa.

I hope that makes sense. I appreciate any help.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-230 question

Originally Posted by USGirl
We're confused, then, as to whether we include her on line 31a of the DS-0230 form, which requests the names of your children who will "accompany" by husband to the United States.
Don't try to interpret the question beyond what it plainly asks. If your daughter will be accompanying your husband, then put down her name.

Ian
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

USG,

Perfect sense.

Disagreeing with Ian on this, the "accompany" in 31.a and "follow" in 31.b refer to immigrating relatives, not US citizen relativess.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by USGirl
My husband, the UKC, is filling out the DS-0230 form, and we're not clear on something and I can't find the answer anywhere in my searches.

We have a daughter who was born here in the UK last spring. She hasn't been to the United States yet, but we have filed her US citizenship papers, and received her US passport and consular report of birth.

We're confused, then, as to whether we include her on line 31a of the DS-0230 form, which requests the names of your children who will "accompany" by husband to the United States. Because, yes, obviously, our daughter will go with us. But as she already is a US citizen, the immigration people don't need to factor her in as an additional someone seeking a visa.

I hope that makes sense. I appreciate any help.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 14th 2009 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to vote with JEff on this one; 'accompany' has a specific immigration meaning on this form.

That said, I doubt it will do any harm if she is included (they're not going to keep her in the UK ).
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input -- and so promptly, too!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to check mine, only to find out that the form has changed since I submitted it.