Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-160 success after interview - 3 convictions

DS-160 success after interview - 3 convictions

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

chrishawkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-160 success after interview - 3 convictions

Yesterday I attended my scheduled visa interview at the US Embassy - here's brief run down!

Arrived at 8:45am for a 9:30 appointment, the queue was about 100/150 long and it was raining a little.

Once I got to the front, the guard checked my print out and passport.

Then, I went through security and into the embassy where I had my print out scanned and was given a number and told to wait inside for the number to be called.

After around 20 minutes, I was called to a window 7 where I handed over my passport and ACPO and confirmation printouts.

My fingerprints were taken. I was then told to take a seat and wait for my number to be called again. Then after another 30 mins my number was called and I was told to go to an interview window 23.

As I walked through I was a little nervous but waiting for me was a smiling very cheery Embassy employee who put me at ease.

The lady asked a few questions about where I wanted to visit and she told me she'd done the same drive etc.

She then asked about my parents and wife who would be travelling with me, the about my job.

As we were talking she was typing and referring to a piece of paper. Now the dreaded ACPO was brought to the front, she asked about my 3 convictions 2 of them I'd been sent to prison for. I told her the truth of what happened etc and told her I was sorry and ashamed. She then asked if I had been in trouble since the last time which was 2000, 13 years ago...I said no!

Then came the OK Sir, your Visa has been approved! I just said thank you very much...she smiled and said proceed to the DX counter to pay the courier fee...which I did with a smile on my face!
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-160 success after interview - 3 convictions

Originally Posted by chrishawkins
Then came the OK Sir, your Visa has been approved! I just said thank you very much...she smiled and said proceed to the DX counter to pay the courier fee...which I did with a smile on my face!
Wonderful. Congratulations!

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

As we were talking she was typing and referring to a piece of paper. Now the dreaded ACPO was brought to the front, she asked about my 3 convictions 2 of them I'd been sent to prison for. I told her the truth of what happened etc and told her I was sorry and ashamed. She then asked if I had been in trouble since the last time which was 2000, 13 years ago...I said no!
Convictions for what? Probably weren't CIMT or controlled substance related?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:51 am
Just Joined

1. Public Order - Threatening words or behaviour
2. Affray
3. Violent Disorder

Looking back now, I am probably eligible to use ESTA, but at the time of starting the application I was less knowledgeable and thought that everyone arrested needed to apply at the embassy.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:27 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

1. Public Order - Threatening words or behaviour
2. Affray
3. Violent Disorder

Looking back now, I am probably eligible to use ESTA, but at the time of starting the application I was less knowledgeable and thought that everyone arrested needed to apply at the embassy.
You probably were, especially if the new visa doesn't have a 212(d)(3) waiver annotation on it.

Your record of conviction was likely determined to be irrelevant.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
You probably were, especially if the new visa doesn't have a 212(d)(3) waiver annotation on it.

Your record of conviction was likely determined to be irrelevant.

If the visa is only valid for 1 year, would I be able to do ESTA next time, or will I need to go to the Embassy every-time ??
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:10 pm
crg
American Expat

If the visa is only valid for 1 year, would I be able to do ESTA next time, or will I need to go to the Embassy every-time ??
Was there a waiver annotation on the visa? It's possible that one of the offenses was a CIMT, but not serious enough to prevent visa issuance, but still prevent a successful ESTA application. There is a single petty offense exception and a juvenile exception etc so a person could have one CIMT and still receive a clean visa.

It's safer to use a visa if you have any offenses that could possibly be a CIMT.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Was there a waiver annotation on the visa? It's possible that one of the offenses was a CIMT, but not serious enough to prevent visa issuance, but still prevent a successful ESTA application. There is a single petty offense exception and a juvenile exception etc so a person could have one CIMT and still receive a clean visa.

It's safer to use a visa if you have any offenses that could possibly be a CIMT.
I received the passport this morning from DX, the Visa is for 10years and has no Annotations written on the Visa