DS 158 form

Old May 7th 2009, 11:43 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default DS 158 form

I need some clarification on this form.

Next week I'm heading back to London for the appointment to get the physical visa in my passport. Everything was 'approved' out of California last year. Currently gathering the forms together. DS156 for the pair of us and DS157 for me. Checking the state department website I now find DS158 with lots more information being requested.

I can't recall ever filling out that form last time round for the first H1B and can't get a straight answer from my lawyer on it. Paralegal says DS156 & 157 only, lawyer says maybe you should take it, but didn't know for sure if it was a requirement.

Anyone have any pointers
Old May 7th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS 158 form

can't remember what the DS 158 form is specifically, but I do know that when we renewed our H visas in January there were a bunch of new forms to fill in and they wanted all of them when we turned up at the consulate (I'm sure we each had a DS 156 not just one between us, which you implied you had!!) Hope this helps...if you wnat me to be more specific I'm sure I can take a look further as we photocopied everything we handed in.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:40 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
can't remember what the DS 158 form is specifically, but I do know that when we renewed our H visas in January there were a bunch of new forms to fill in and they wanted all of them when we turned up at the consulate (I'm sure we each had a DS 156 not just one between us, which you implied you had!!) Hope this helps...if you wnat me to be more specific I'm sure I can take a look further as we photocopied everything we handed in.
yeah, that's my bad way of putting it across. 1xDS156 for each of us and the DS157 for me. Funny thing is on their website those are the only forms mentioned. I found the 158 by accident

Would love to know what the other new forms were
Old May 7th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
yeah, that's my bad way of putting it across. 1xDS156 for each of us and the DS157 for me. Funny thing is on their website those are the only forms mentioned. I found the 158 by accident

Would love to know what the other new forms were
Just checked our photocopies and we did submit DS 158.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:58 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

was that for each of you or just the principal H1
Old May 7th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul S
was that for each of you or just the principal H1
one for each of us...sorry!! more paperwork
Old May 7th 2009, 6:43 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

one for each of us...sorry!! more paperwork
hehe, and it only takes an hour to fill out, including finding all the data
Old May 7th 2009, 6:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see where an H visa requires a DS158

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/happ.html

Any idea why you submitted one?
Old May 8th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I can't see where an H visa requires a DS158

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/happ.html

Any idea why you submitted one?
I'm assuming (as i can't really remember) that it was on our "list of cr*p to take to the consulate" that came along with the interview approval letter.
I'll have a dig and see if I can find anymore about it.

Cape Blue, your link it for visa application and ours was a renewal, not sure if that makes a difference

Last edited by lisa67; May 8th 2009 at 3:14 am. Reason: adding another comment
Old May 8th 2009, 4:42 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming (as i can't really remember) that it was on our "list of cr*p to take to the consulate" that came along with the interview approval letter.
I'll have a dig and see if I can find anymore about it.

Cape Blue, your link it for visa application and ours was a renewal, not sure if that makes a difference
Mine's an H1B renewal, can't find any info on the website that is different than the application data. Would be useful if you could find it - thanks for trying
Old May 8th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Mine's an H1B renewal, can't find any info on the website that is different than the application data. Would be useful if you could find it - thanks for trying
sorry...couldn't find any more info. I know that it came up on line after we'd made our appointments..there was a list of forms to fill in and print off and it was one of them.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:06 am
now I know my J,C,B's

well got back and have an answer for my own question that may help others....

According to the Consulate in London the 158 form is only required for F, J and M visa's

Nice quick visit for us to the embassy 2 weeks ago (in and out within 90 minutes or so). Also extremely surreal as we saw Hugh Laurie, James May and David Prowse all getting their visa's done too
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Yep, had my H1B extension interview last week - no DS 158 required, the whole operations seemed much better organized than the last 2 times and my passport arrived 3 days later.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul S and Cape Blue...glad you both had a trouble free experience....all done and dusted ...until the next time !
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:12 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

oh I forgot to mention, just like Cape Blue, 3 day turnaround