Driving From US To Canada & I-94

Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Scots_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving From US To Canada & I-94

I'm going to be driving from Michigan to New York and the quickest way is to go through Ontario, crossing into Canada at Detroit and re-entering the US at Buffalo. I am in the US on an L1 Visa and I'm a little unsure what to do with my I-94 at the borders.

I've been told that if you drive over to Ontario for the day then you should not hand your I-94 in as you leave (like you normally do when boarding a plane to leave the US) as you don't get issued a new one when you cross back in to the US. Should I do the same even though I'm going to re-enter the US at a different border crossing?

To further complicate things, I'm considering stopping overnight halfway across Ontario, does this complicate anything such as making it an official period of time spent outside the US? Also, I believe that if you apply for a green card after time spent here on a visa that you need to have kept records of when you've been in and out of the US.

All advice welcomed, thanks, AJ.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving From US To Canada & I-94

Originally Posted by Scots_Boy
I'm going to be driving from Michigan to New York and the quickest way is to go through Ontario, crossing into Canada at Detroit and re-entering the US at Buffalo. I am in the US on an L1 Visa and I'm a little unsure what to do with my I-94 at the borders.

I've been told that if you drive over to Ontario for the day then you should not hand your I-94 in as you leave (like you normally do when boarding a plane to leave the US) as you don't get issued a new one when you cross back in to the US. Should I do the same even though I'm going to re-enter the US at a different border crossing?

To further complicate things, I'm considering stopping overnight halfway across Ontario, does this complicate anything such as making it an official period of time spent outside the US? Also, I believe that if you apply for a green card after time spent here on a visa that you need to have kept records of when you've been in and out of the US.

Nothing complicated about any of that. You're fine.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:51 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't turn in the I-94. Leave it in the passport and present it st the border upon return to the US.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:21 pm
Banned

Pistonbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

I did cross for a day when I first came here. Just show the Canadian officer your passport with waiver attatched they will stamp your passport and hand it back, they will not remover the waiver from your passport, in fact if it is not attatched they will question it and send you to the US side first to sort the problem before letting you in. Mine was not in the passport but had become loose and was in the glove compartment of the car. The Candian officers stappled it back in and told me to take care of it in future.
I returned to the USA as a visa holder so I don't have that problem anymore.

It seems to me you just want the experience of driving through a bit of Canada if you are really worried just drive down I-75 to Ohio and drive I-90 east into NY.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OP is also traveling on a visa, not on a 'waiver'.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 6:43 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

@ Scots_Boy

I did that drive a couple of times whilst I was on my L1-B.
Watch out - the Canadians can be draconian about speeding!
And the roads in upstate NY are toll roads...

absolutely no problem going into Canada or coming back into US - i just left my I94 in my passport.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

To further complicate things, I'm considering stopping overnight halfway across Ontario, does this complicate anything such as making it an official period of time spent outside the US?
Generally speaking, the cut-off for turning in the I-94 is 30 days in Canada or Mexico.