Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does US citizenship pass down indefinitely?

Does US citizenship pass down indefinitely?

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does US citizenship pass down indefinitely?

One of the things I noticed being British and Canadian is that it's possible for the grand-kids to lose both citizenships if we have a child in the US and that child doesn't return to either country before having children.

Both British and Canadian law states that a child born to a British/Candian citizen also born abroad does not automatically inherit that citizenship. I understand why countries do this because ultimately they want citizens to reside in the country that provides it.

I was wondering then, with US citizenship, if a child is born abroad to a US citizen that was also born abroad, is that child automatically a US citizen and would that citizenship pass down indefinitely even though none of these theoretical children ever stepped foot in the United States?

I know this is the case with Irish citizenship but it's not automatic, foreign births must be registered.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does US citizenship pass down indefinitely?

US also has a residency requirement.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 6:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
One of the things I noticed being British and Canadian is that it's possible for the grand-kids to lose both citizenships if we have a child in the US and that child doesn't return to either country before having children
In the UK I assume you are referring to the “by decent” and that Citizen not being eligible to pass on that Citizenship.

To clarify they are not loosing a Citizenship, because they never acquire it in the scenario you are describing. What your really mean is the Citizenship is not passed on to them.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

In the UK I assume you are referring to the “by decent” and that Citizen not being eligible to pass on that Citizenship.

To clarify they are not loosing a Citizenship, because they never acquire it in the scenario you are describing. What your really mean is the Citizenship is not passed on to them.
Yeah that's what I meant. Loss would imply possession. My mistake.

I found this page which discusses residency requirements: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rn-Abroad.html

For birth on or after November 14, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of fourteen.
Strange that there doesn't appear to be a residency requirement if the US citizen is male and isn't married but there is a 1 year residency requirement for unmarried mothers that give birth abroad.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 8:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

would that citizenship pass down indefinitely even though none of these theoretical children ever stepped foot in the United States?
No. The US has residency criteria just as the UK does.

Next question?
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
No. The US has residency criteria just as the UK does.

Next question?
Someone already answered. Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 10:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just to expand on the replies above, if a USC is born in the US and leaves the US to reside elsewhere in the world before they are 14 or if the USC has obtained their US citizenship at birthfrom a US Citizen parent or grandparent and the child never lives in the US, then in neither case is that USC eligible to pass on their US citizenship to their children. You must have lived in the US for x number of years before age 14 and x number of years after the age of 14 to be eligible to pass on US citizenship.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Strange that there doesn't appear to be a residency requirement if the US citizen is male and isn't married but there is a 1 year residency requirement for unmarried mothers that give birth abroad.
Where are you reading this? I've always understood it to be the same 5 year residency requirement, whether male or female/married or unmarried.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 11:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's what I meant. Loss would imply possession. My mistake.

I found this page which discusses residency requirements: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rn-Abroad.html

The USCIS / US does not have separate rules/laws for male and female. It is one size fits both genders.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 4th 2019 at 11:59 am.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
The USCIS / US does not have separate rules/laws for male and female. It is one size fits both genders.
this has changed recently however...

​​​​​​
Old Aug 5th 2019, 3:46 pm
Concierge

You failed to note that there are also highlighted sections for FATHERS. I was born out of wedlock to a foreign mother and a USC father in Germany after WWII. I became a USC when they married as noted on my certificate of birth abroad.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete

And the criteria above both appear to be different...
Old Aug 5th 2019, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

No. For children born out of wedlock to an American father, there is the same residency requirement of 5 years physical presence, including 2 years after turning 14, plus there are the additional requirements that the child be legitimated, acknowledged, or paternity determined, and the father make a written agreement to support the child before the child turns 18. So the requirements for children born out of wedlock to an American father are more demanding than for any other category (the requirement for child born out of wedlock to an American mother had been changed from 1 continuous year of physical presence to the same 5 years, including 2 years after turning 14, as children born in wedlock, starting from 2017).