Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does a PR carry their PR card at all times??

Does a PR carry their PR card at all times??

Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does a PR carry their PR card at all times??

Hey all,

I wasn't sure if this has been asked before, but Scott and I were wondering if he had to carry his PR card with him at all times (like his drivers license)? Does a PR need to be able to prove his/her residency at a moment's notice - i.e. if he/she gets pulled over for speeding can the cop ask for proof of residency - or can he be allowed to show proof later?

I'm asking cuz I'm worried at having Scott carry his around all the time in his wallet. What if he loses the wallet or it gets stolen ya know? They say don't carry your SS card with you, just wondering if one could say the same about the PR card.

Ciao,
~J
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does a PR carry their PR card at all times??

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
can the cop ask for proof of residency
AFAIK they're not allowed to ask this.

Elaine
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
AFAIK they're not allowed to ask this.

Elaine
Yep, I second that.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I wasn't sure if this has been asked before, but Scott and I were wondering if he had to carry his PR card with him at all times (like his drivers license)? Does a PR need to be able to prove his/her residency at a moment's notice - i.e. if he/she gets pulled over for speeding can the cop ask for proof of residency - or can he be allowed to show proof later?

I'm asking cuz I'm worried at having Scott carry his around all the time in his wallet. What if he loses the wallet or it gets stolen ya know? They say don't carry your SS card with you, just wondering if one could say the same about the PR card.

Ciao,
~J
I just carry my DL, I figured I had to show my PR card in order to get that so I need not bother carrying my Pr card around, it should be on the system somewhere.

As long as I know where it is, in a safe place, that's all you need.

Ellie
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:16 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jamie,
If I remember correctly there was a statement about this on that little cardboard folder-thingy that contained Mr. P's card. I don't think they are required to carry it at all times. Mr. P. has not been carrying his, and I was thinking of sticking it in the safe deposit box anyway. Do you have the folder handy?

~SecretGarden
P.S. Have you seen Scott's face as a tiny hologram on the back?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi Jamie,
If I remember correctly there was a statement about this on that little cardboard folder-thingy that contained Mr. P's card. I don't think they are required to carry it at all times. Mr. P. has not been carrying his, and I was thinking of sticking it in the safe deposit box anyway. Do you have the folder handy?

~SecretGarden
P.S. Have you seen Scott's face as a tiny hologram on the back?

Yep I have one of those.....

I do carry mine around, like my DR in my purse. Like a DR and credit cards etc, it can be replaced.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:45 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
From uscis.gov

Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. While that does not require that you have on your person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an immigration officer, if requested. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

So, ya don't have to carry it with you, but you are expected to pull it out of thin air if they ask for it.

In further reading it does say to make sure you have it on you if you have travelled out of the US as you would be required to show it at re-entry. So, tell Scott to take it out of his wallet. I hear that they are a pain to replace if they get lost!

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:58 pm
Sophie T

"sunflwrgrl13" <member16206@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hey all,
    > I wasn't sure if this has been asked before, but Scott and I were
    > wondering if he had to carry his PR card with him at all times (like
    > his drivers license)? Does a PR need to be able to prove his/her
    > residency at a moment's notice - i.e. if he/she gets pulled over for
    > speeding can the cop ask for proof of residency - or can he be allowed
    > to show proof later?
    > I'm asking cuz I'm worried at having Scott carry his around all the time
    > in his wallet. What if he loses the wallet or it gets stolen ya know?
    > They say don't carry your SS card with you, just wondering if one could
    > say the same about the PR card.
    > Ciao,
    > ~J
    > --

The "welcome" letter my husband received said that the permanent resident
card must be carried at all times if you are over the age of 18. It said it
was the law. I don't know who has the authority to actually ASK to see it
though. I'm sure someone else will know for sure.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:10 pm
The Missus

But then there is also this.............

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

So, as usual, there appears to be contradicting information regarding requirements. Probably a safer bet to trust what the Act says rather than the website.

~SecretGarden
~(looking for that safe deposit box key.....)
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

So, ya don't have to carry it with you, but you are expected to pull it out of thin air if they ask for it.

In further reading it does say to make sure you have it on you if you have travelled out of the US as you would be required to show it at re-entry. So, tell Scott to take it out of his wallet. I hear that they are a pain to replace if they get lost!

~SecretGarden
Muchas gracias, senorita! I was trying to find that on their website, and I must have been blind not to see it. He hasn't been carrying it with him at all (that's what I prefer) because I thought the chances of losing it too high. We'll be putting that into fireproof safe as soon as we get one.

~J

PS: Nope, I haven't looked close enough at his card to see his hologram.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:14 pm
The Missus

Muchas gracias, senorita! I was trying to find that on their website, and I must have been blind not to see it. He hasn't been carrying it with him at all (that's what I prefer) because I thought the chances of losing it too high. We'll be putting that into fireproof safe as soon as we get one.

~J

PS: Nope, I haven't looked close enough at his card to see his hologram.
Take a look at my other response to you, above yours.

~SG
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Take a look at my other response to you, above yours.

~SG
Damn, just read it...can't they make up their friggin minds Which is it?? Do they carry it or not?!?! Can any resident attorneys clear this up for us please?...Where's Rete when we need her,eh?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Ciao,
~J
Hi:

Look up section 264 of the Immigration & Nationality Act -- he has to personally carry it and have it in his possession at all times. It is a misdemanor not to carry it [BTW, this is not a "strict liability" offense -- if your wallet gets stolen, the law allows you to get replacements -- when I was robbed some years back, I drove to DMV to get my replacement driver's license -- the LAPD detective gave me a card for the incident report just in case.]

Do keep a photocopy around.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:13 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Look up section 264 of the Immigration & Nationality Act -- he has to personally carry it and have it in his possession at all times. It is a misdemanor not to carry it [BTW, this is not a "strict liability" offense -- if your wallet gets stolen, the law allows you to get replacements -- when I was robbed some years back, I drove to DMV to get my replacement driver's license -- the LAPD detective gave me a card for the incident report just in case.]

Do keep a photocopy around.
Thank you, sir! And to all others who pointed us in the right direction.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Yep I have one of those.....

I do carry mine around, like my DR in my purse. Like a DR and credit cards etc, it can be replaced.

Jim also carried his at all times, along with his social security card, etc.

Thankfully he doesn't carry his naturalization certificate with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.