Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does it matter which POE you choose?

Wikiposts

Does it matter which POE you choose?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Does it matter which POE you choose?

Just thinking ahead and my husband and I would like to do a mini road trip before we settle in and have to build up vacation time. We're thinking of flying into Washington Dulles but hoping to live in California where we would normally use SFO. Just wondering if there might be any problems with the brown envelope which is handed in at the POE, i.e. does it matter which POE you use, has anyone had their brown envelope go astray arriving in a different POE than the area you plan to live in?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it matter which POE you choose?

Originally Posted by katnap8
Just thinking ahead and my husband and I would like to do a mini road trip before we settle in and have to build up vacation time. We're thinking of flying into Washington Dulles but hoping to live in California where we would normally use SFO. Just wondering if there might be any problems with the brown envelope which is handed in at the POE, i.e. does it matter which POE you use, has anyone had their brown envelope go astray arriving in a different POE than the area you plan to live in?
No, it doesn't matter what POE is used.

We flew into JFK as our POE, then flew on to Los Angeles and stayed overnight. The next day we flew over to Phoenix where we actually live.

Rene
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:52 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure when you land you have a fixed address for the GC etc to be sent to. It can be the one you put on the visa forms or a different one if needs be.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Depends what your criterias are. If you want a speedy processing and a little

bit more small airport atmosphere Minneapolis is a good choice .

This meeans you should fly with Northwest or KLM -cheaper fares.

I personally like this airport becasue there are very small queues at the POE

and you are done with your paperwork and baggage in less than an hour.

But that's my opinion

Kind Regards
CCR
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, doesn't matter. We entered at MPL and connected on to Portland.
I was not as enamored with MPL as CCR is, but thinkig back, it's not a bad aiport at all, and immigration took us 15 minutes, waiting for the luggage another 45!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kn,

I think the potential problem that you are worried about is not a concern, but your general question reminds me of a case I saw reported a few years ago where the POE did make a difference of sorts.

A fellow from the UK was transiting throug Dublin or Shannon (I forget which) where CBP has pre-clearance operations. The CBP officer inspecting the 'brown envelope' noticed that the fellow's visa had been issued in error, there was something about his case that required a waiver. While the fellow was most unhappy about being denied entry, he would have been a lot more unhappy had the denial occured after the flight across the pond rather than before.

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CCR,

I despise the MSP, although it is easy to sneak into the Northwest (now Delta) lounge there.

On my entry there last year my 72 year old father-in-law, traveling on a B2 visa, spent over an hour in secondary because they had trouble taking his fingerprint and were concerned that he was wearing his Ministry of Education uniform (he's a retired textbook illustrator) in his passport photo, and they thought it was a military uniform. Then we spent an equal amount of time at the Customs inspection where they pulled apart each and every piece of luggage. Our loooong layover turned into a frantic race to the departure gate.

In contrast, this year we transited through Atlanta. Customs just took our declaration card and waved us through. Much, much better.

Everyone's experiences can be widely different.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by crosscountryrider
If you want a speedy processing and a little bit more small airport atmosphere Minneapolis is a good choice .

This meeans you should fly with Northwest or KLM -cheaper fares.

I personally like this airport becasue there are very small queues at the POE
and you are done with your paperwork and baggage in less than an hour.

But that's my opinion

Kind Regards
CCR
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
CCR,

I despise the MSP, although it is easy to sneak into the Northwest (now Delta) lounge there.

On my entry there last year my 72 year old father-in-law, traveling on a B2 visa, spent over an hour in secondary because they had trouble taking his fingerprint and were concerned that he was wearing his Ministry of Education uniform (he's a retired textbook illustrator) in his passport photo, and they thought it was a military uniform. Then we spent an equal amount of time at the Customs inspection where they pulled apart each and every piece of luggage. Our loooong layover turned into a frantic race to the departure gate.

In contrast, this year we transited through Atlanta. Customs just took our declaration card and waved us through. Much, much better.

Everyone's experiences can be widely different.

Regards, JEff
Hey Jeff,
you are right. I never had problems at any POE anyways. But the big hubs
are always packed and have long queues .

At the end of the day if something goes wrong any POE will be a nightmare.

Kind Regards
CCR
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's worth changing POE's due to length of processing time. Choose the flight that is most convenient to your travel needs and budget, and enter that POE.

Rene
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

As a general rule, it is no problem. On an immigrant visa admission, the local DHS office need not see your file at all. It will go into storage in Missouri right quick after "card production" is ordered.

BTW, I think this was discussed in BE at one point, somebody was moving from Canada to Fairbanks and planned to enter by CAR. Out of curiosity, I looked it up -- it is possible, but they would like a telephone call to give them advance notice!