Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Does a marriage in the US count in the UK?

Does a marriage in the US count in the UK?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Valentina is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Does a marriage in the US count in the UK?

My fiance has moved to Ohio on an L1 visa. Our wedding is booked for 2009 in the UK but we don't think we can handle being apart this long. One option we have is to get married quickly in the US so that I can come over on an L2 visa. We are wondering if this would affect our wedding in the UK, which we still want to go ahead with - am I right in thinking that until you register the marriage in the UK it is not recognised in Britain? Do we have to register it in the UK before I can apply for an L2 visa?

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does a marriage in the US count in the UK?

Originally Posted by Valentina
My fiance has moved to Ohio on an L1 visa. Our wedding is booked for 2009 in the UK but we don't think we can handle being apart this long. One option we have is to get married quickly in the US so that I can come over on an L2 visa. We are wondering if this would affect our wedding in the UK, which we still want to go ahead with - am I right in thinking that until you register the marriage in the UK it is not recognised in Britain? Do we have to register it in the UK before I can apply for an L2 visa?

Thanks
Do you currently live with your fiancée?

If so, for how long?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Valentina is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been together for 5 years and lived together for the past 3. He is now out in the US and I am living in the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valentina
We have been together for 5 years and lived together for the past 3. He is now out in the US and I am living in the UK.
You'd qualify for a B2 as a cohabiting partner of an L1 holder now -- no work allowed but you could "live" there with the B2.

You may already qualify for the L2 if, under UK law, you have lived together long enough to be considered as having a "common law" marriage. I have no idea about UK law in this respect. But you should investigate.

Also, if you are getting married in the CofE, you can have a quick marriage now in the US for the L2, then still get married with the full "do" back in the UK.