Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do you think he'll make it through?

Do you think he'll make it through?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you think he'll make it through?

I've been though U.S immigration about 6 times in the past 2 years. Each time I'm asked purpose of visit. Sometimes I have been asked occupation.

Each of the times my purpose has either been 'to visit boyfriend' or 'to visit fiance'. On a couple of the 3 month stays I was asked my occupation (maybe wondering what kind of job I could get away with taking 3 month holidays) after telling them I was a student and would resume studies after summer holidays etc they are always fine.

Once the guy even started asking me if I was excited about seeing my b/f and giving me credit for maintaining a transatlantic relationship

Sophie

p.s After my experience with American Airlines this summer I can testify that they no longer serve free alcohol, there is no leg room and I had to wait about 45 minutes for a stewardess to give me a glass of water after she forgot the first time around with the drinks trolley.

Next time I'm looking into Virgin Atlantic because I'm under the opinion that they still have alcohol, better service and better planes.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not any longer, times have changed. No idea about 1st Class mind you.
Hi:

So, on second thought -- don't drink alcohol, its better and cheaper if you do not.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Vicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
Hello,

My fiance is coming to the US to visit me for the first time (also his first visit to the US in general). I've been to the UK to visit him twice before, once for a month, the other for three months.

He's 24, and he's coming later this month and staying for a full month. He'll fly into Philadelphia from England and then flying to Houston where I am. He has a return ticket and we're going to try to get him a letter from work saying when he's expected back in. He'll bring around $900, give or take, and $350 of that will already be in cash when he gets to immigration.

I don't think he'll have a problem, but I'm just trying not to miss anything out. He's going to say he's visiting his girlfriend (figure it'll sound a bit better than fiance... and we aren't going to try to get married here at all yet, anyway), which was fine in the UK this summer when I said I'd be visiting my boyfriend (granted he was my boyfriend and not fiance yet at that time... only got three questions off the IO and he let me in!).

I go to uni so I'm up here at my apartment all the time. He'll be staying with me here during the week and we'll be at my parents' house on the weekends so he will have a chance to be around them more. I figure when he gives the IO the address he'll be staying at, he should just use my parents' instead of my apartment. Maybe it looks better that way?

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
My boyfriend lives in the US and I have visited him about 4 times in the last year, I have never said I am visiting my boyfriend! My advice is only answer the questions they ask! but don't mention boyfriend!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:01 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
I've been though U.S immigration about 6 times in the past 2 years. Each time I'm asked purpose of visit. Sometimes I have been asked occupation.

Each of the times my purpose has either been 'to visit boyfriend' or 'to visit fiance'. On a couple of the 3 month stays I was asked my occupation (maybe wondering what kind of job I could get away with taking 3 month holidays) after telling them I was a student and would resume studies after summer holidays etc they are always fine.

Once the guy even started asking me if I was excited about seeing my b/f and giving me credit for maintaining a transatlantic relationship

Sophie

p.s After my experience with American Airlines this summer I can testify that they no longer serve free alcohol, there is no leg room and I had to wait about 45 minutes for a stewardess to give me a glass of water after she forgot the first time around with the drinks trolley.

Next time I'm looking into Virgin Atlantic because I'm under the opinion that they still have alcohol, better service and better planes.

I agree I would not fly United,NW unless I was in a higher class then economy, their service in general stinks and the flight attendants I have had recently were awful................what happened to well dressed,hair back ,nails manicured,smile, and politeness, they look like they had a night on the tiles and shagged the pilot in the cock pit before take off lol.... plus I remember years ago you had to be of a certain standard to look at, some of those attendants are scary

I know not all flight attendants are like this but the majority are just not acceptable,but when I fly to Asia or Australia totally different class of folk.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 7th 2008 at 2:31 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I agree I would not fly United,NW unless I was in a higher class then economy, their service in general stinks and the flight attendants I have had recently were awful................what happened to well dressed,hair back ,nails manicured,smile, and politeness, they look like they had a night on the tiles and shagged the pilot in the cock pit before take off lol.... plus I remember years ago you had to be of a certain standard to look at, some of those attendants are scary

I know not all flight attendants are like this but the majority are just not acceptable,but when I fly to Asia or Australia totally different class of folk.
Hi:

I know a UA cabin crew member -- he noted that along with the reduction in service [e.g. food, etc], the number of cabin crew has been cut back to the legally required minimum. This complicates their job no end. Quite often the reason they look hassled and harried is that they are.

On a trip to New York in August, we had two flights cancelled or delayed because the delay on prior flights had delayed the statutory crew rest end.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yorkieuk

Thanks a lot for all the personal stories, they help to easy my mind a lot. And I'm glad that you and the others haven't had any problems.

Last edited by badlydrawnmegan; Oct 7th 2008 at 5:35 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:40 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Erm... why would their appearance mean anything? It doesn't have owt to do with their ability to be glorified waiting staff.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:05 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Erm... why would their appearance mean anything? It doesn't have owt to do with their ability to be glorified waiting staff.
I don't like the idea of untide hair, chipped nails and scruffy uniform its not the standard level it used to be, personally I care not if they are butt ugly in looks but never the less, years ago you did have to be of a certain level in your appearance, which is something the airlines don't seem to consider so much these days.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

.. years ago you did have to be of a certain level in your appearance, which is something the airlines don't seem to consider so much these days.

If you are suggesting that they have to have a certain level of attractiveness, then I don't believe the airlines can discriminate against those that aren't too pretty. I wouldn't like to be be denied a job because I wasn't 'pretty' enough.

If you're strictly referring to professional appearance, then that's fine. Personally, I couldn't care less about a manicure though..esp since I bite my nails.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If you are suggesting that they have to have a certain level of attractiveness, then I don't believe the airlines can discriminate against those that aren't too pretty. I wouldn't like to be be denied a job because I wasn't 'pretty' enough.

If you're strictly referring to professional appearance, I can agree.
Oh I agree with you but the fact remains that years ago they did like the women to be attractive,another reason they used to be called trolley dollys
And I would not want to be rejected either for my looks, but I can't see them ever telling anyone that to thier face I am sure another excuse would be made.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:06 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I agree with you but the fact remains that years ago they did like the women to be attractive,another reason they used to be called trolley dollys
And I would not want to be rejected either for my looks, but I can't see them ever telling anyone that to thier face I am sure another excuse would be made.
And therein breathes misogyny...
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago the airlines had an upper age lmit ...
for the tea ladies ...not now ....
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Until well into the 1970s, airlines enforced strict physical and age standards on stewardesses. In the 1930s they were expected to be about five-foot-four and weigh no more than 115 pounds; later, these numbers rose to five-foot-eight and 130 pounds, tops. They were also expected to be extraordinarily attractive. In the 1960s, Eastern Air Lines ran an advertisement with the headline “Presenting the Losers.” It showed 19 frowning all-American beauties who were “probably good enough to get a job practically anywhere they want.” But they hadn’t passed muster at Eastern, which demanded the very highest level of poise, intelligence, and good looks. “Sure, we want her to be pretty . . . don’t you? That’s why we look at her face, her make-up, her complexion, her figure, her weight, her legs, her grooming, her nails and her hair.”

In keeping with such standards, the airlines didn’t allow women who were married or older than 32 (35 at a few liberal carriers) to keep working as stewardesses. Therefore the turnover rate among cabin crews was amazingly high. In 1955 the average career of a flight attendant lasted just 27 months.

http://www.americanheritage.com/arti...n-powers.shtml

In the 1970s laws were passed that forbid US airlines from firing flight attendents due to age. Many Asian airlines still have an upper age limit for flight attendents.